1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio S1 Silver good buy?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by 5ergo, Mar 8, 2005.

1. 5ergo

5ergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. :hiya:
    Im thinking of buying those for a long time.Id have them on Onkyo receiver with crossover set to 60Hz.I already have a (weak) sub but sooner or later ill get one of the SVS cylinders.
    So is it ok to have crossover set that low with these speakers?

So if you have experience with those id be glad to hear it from you.
    I can get them for approx 375Euros.Good price?
    I wanna know if they are really that good because there are some Tanoys very cheap.

Is anything wrong if i connect S1s (which use 80W RMS) to receiver with 115W per channel?

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have the s1's for my fronts. and I must say i love them. I demoed them against speakers costing £995, £925, £900 PMC, dynaudio, audiovector. they all sounded the same really but the s1's stood out by miles. it has a very fast, detailed punchy sound. they need alot of running in due to metal drivers. 115w is fine I run them with 110w. you do more damage uner powering speakers. there were 3 members of my family in the demo room and they all went WOW to the s1 "how much are they alot more i bet" no i said 3 times cheaper. but the saving to good use was almost decided on the dynaudios which were £900 but I remembered someone else had the same experiance.

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Having owned the s1s i can say they are a very nice sounding speaker just give them a bit of room to breathe though or they can sound boomy.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

4. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    MA Silver S1 are excellent.

Put them on high stands (600mm), keep them at least a 30-45cm from rear walls and they will fly!

5. 5ergo

5ergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for the info!
    Ill sure wait for the new RS series and than ill buy one of them (S or RS).

Im glad to hear they are not that much better than Dynaudio (audience right?).Cause i was thinking about Dynaudio audience 52SE but they are more than twice as much as MA.Dynaudio should have better tweeters but who cares.
    I think if S1 can hit 45Hz well than i could have crossover set even lower than 60Hz.But i cant find a receiver that would have an option below 60Hz (at least not in 500USD range).

6. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I dont know how clean that 45hz is. i would of thought it would produce clean output in the mid 50hz range then get lower down to 45hz so a crossover at 60hz would be about right.

7. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    I used to have the S1's and thought they were great - precise, detailed and well balanced. I then upgraded to the Silver S6 floorstanders (which I recently compared to some Quad 12L - the S6 were streets ahead IMHO).

If you want to buy the current range then Sevenoaks are clearing them out to make way for the new range so a bargain could be had soon!

8. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Sevenoaks Wolverhampton have some stonkin' deals on the Silvers.

9. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I would agree entirely,I was very disappointed when I auditioned the Quads and eventually bought S6 fronts,S2 rears and an SLCR centre.I'd recommend them to anyone,but they would be foolish to take my advice!As ever,let your ears decide and make your own mind up,then you know you'll be happy.