Monitor Audio RX6 AV12 or RX8 AV12 Package?

thanks once again - very interesting articles, understand it a whole lot better now :thumbsup:

Just to add my thoughts on this guys, I demoed the 6 and rx8 and with movies and music the 8s were better sounding no question, so I've ordered them with the av12 pack, and after agonising over the cost I've also gone with the piano black as I wouldn't of been happy with the other colours, nothing wrong with the rx6 but for me it's the rx8 that won me over! Hth someone .

Black oak.
I am still waiting for my center speaker to arrive.
for surround i got the Bronze series BRFX,

Please can you post a few snaps of the Black Oak speakers. I have the piano black on dem in my house at the moment, love the finish but struggling to justify the additional cost and constant polishing that i think they may need !!

Hi butters, I've seen the black oak and IMO you already have the best colour! Yes it's more cash and they might need a bit extra care but for me spending over 2,5k on speakers I want something that is pleasing on the eye and something I'm going to be happy with for years to come, I could not spend 2.2k then begrudge another 400 for the gloss black. It's a killer but I've just bit the bullet. I've seen them in all the colours and black oak would be my least favourite IMO . Hope you get it right one way or the other mate . Gloss black all the way!!

Wrong answer tonyblade :rotfl:

I just know i am heading that way..........

You must have a huge room for those RX8's. I am running these 6's in a 15 x 12 room, the 12 foot side of the room opens up into a lounge area 17x12 and that opens into an open planned kitchen 17 x 17 - the entire space is massively filled with quality sound.

Hi butters, when I auditioned the 6 and 8 the room was near enough your size. So all this about the 8s needing loads of space to me is not right, the 6s sounded excellent no question but when he connected the 8s up we both heard a nicer sound, so I can only go off that. So to anyone out there always get a listen first.

I dont rate What Hifi as a magazine that highly and hence I would take their reviews with a pinch of salt. Its really difficult to say how independent their reviews (or any review) really are. The fact is that regardless of what a magazine says, its your own ears that will tell you whether you prefer the RX6 or the RX8. If I had listened to the magazines I would have have gone for the RX6 but when I auditioned them, I much preferred the RX8. I've been using my RX8s for the last few months and I dont regret buying them for a moment, they are amazing speakers.

My thoughts and observations exactly mate!

It has been a while since my last post to this forum. I have my RX8s plus the av12 set up at home, in the black piano colour. I paired them with Denon 4310. Yes, it was lot money, but I dont regret. For music or for films, they deliver excellent sound. And they look beautiful.

________

Dust is not a problem for the colour, I wipe it with the piece of cloth made of microfiber, it does not leave any traces. But dust is invincible enemy - I discovered that it end up also on the cones of the speakers (when I leave the grilles aside). And there I do not dare to wipe it. It does not go off even when I play speakers loud. Would you have any suggestions? Shall I leave it or shall I get some soft brush and to wipe it out?

Hello everyone, sorry for the dealy in replying. I also bit the bullet and went for the piano black RX8 AV12 pack, a pretty penny but I got a good deal from a UK dealer which included the shipping to the IoM. I also went for the Pioneer SC-LX83 - so its official - I'm now skint! Ha-Ha!! Awesome sound, really really excellent - still keep hearing details that I wouldnt normally hear! The new Nightmare on Elm Street sound effects had me jumping all over the sofa - Freddy was literally in the room with me!

A question however - when listening to SkyHD the volume is so much lower than that of a DVD - and even when watching a HD movie channel the sound is disappointing and doesnt compare to that of a DVD. Do any readers here have the same issue? Is this something I can fix?

Can't say I've noticed, sounds pretty good to me and roughly the same volume.

Obvious question but I assume you are listening through coax or optical and not HDMI.

Thanks for the reply Marky, it is connected with the optical cable, I dont think there is anything wrong with the system - maybe its just one of those things, thanks again.

Just chipping in. Heard the RX6 AV12 setup today and then the RX8 and the RX8 is a far better speaker in both music and movies. Just got to work out whether to get the RX2 over the RX1 as surround speakers.

....as long as you've got the space for them! For me it was never an option, just too much bass!

The room I demo'd the speakers in was smaller than the room I'm going to be turning into a home cinema and they sounded pretty good in that room.

Have been looking at photos of the MA RX8 against the XTZ 99.36 and I must say the Monitor Audio speakers look far more expensive and classier (especially the speaker grill's hidden magnet retention). Obviously this is ignoring the sound quality of each brand, but the wallnut XTZ does look like cheaper and 'clunkier' by comparison.

People, do I really need a sub for HT? I'm thinking of upgrading my pair of stereo speakers into a home theater set up, and I was thinking either MA set up or new KEF Q series. But, do I really need a sub?? I was thinking that most floor standers already produces way enough bass, and I live in a small apartment :) When I don't have a sub, do I loose the bass? Or, does bass directed to sub goes to all 5 speakers? Thanks!

People, do I really need a sub for HT? I'm thinking of upgrading my pair of stereo speakers into a home theater set up, and I was thinking either MA set up or new KEF Q series. But, do I really need a sub?? I was thinking that most floor standers already produces way enough bass, and I live in a small apartment :) When I don't have a sub, do I loose the bass? Or, does bass directed to sub goes to all 5 speakers? Thanks!

It's not essential especially if you live in a small apartment. The RX8s do produce a good amount of bass so you would be fine with these (less so with the RX6s) but obviously a sub would be much better but I doubt your neighbours would agree!! I have a BK Monolith subwoofer which produces a substantial amount of bass and works really well with the RX8s but thankfully I have a detached house so no neighbours can complain!!

It's not essential especially if you live in a small apartment. The RX8s do produce a good amount of bass so you would be fine with these (less so with the RX6s) but obviously a sub would be much better but I doubt your neighbours would agree!! I have a BK Monolith subwoofer which produces a substantial amount of bass and works really well with the RX8s but thankfully I have a detached house so no neighbours can complain!!

Envy you for having a house :) I'm also wondering would midrange be muffed up and dialogues become less clear if there is no sub? Thanks!

Hi,

Having read the whole thread, i am nearly there!!

I have a 5m x 5m dedicated cinema room and require a speaker setup to work with my Onkyo TR-808 AMP on a 5.1 setup. I shall use the setup for 90% movies and I would like the deep thumping bass for heavy movie effects. From what I have read here, it seems that the RX8's would probably be best as part of the AV package, but i am not sure about the sub. Should is stick with the MA sub or change it to a more powerful one like the BK Monolith?

Hi,

I have a 5m x 5m dedicated cinema room and require a speaker setup to work with my Onkyo TR-808 AMP on a 5.1 setup. I shall use the setup for 90% movies and I would like the deep thumping bass for heavy movie effects. From what I have read here, it seems that the RX8's would probably be best as part of the AV package, but i am not sure about the sub. Should is stick with the MA sub or change it to a more powerful one like the BK Monolith?

Maybe consider two subs for that size of room rather than one large sub?

Do you mean two MA subs or two BK Monolith Subs? Some people are telling me the room is big and therefore needs the RX8's and a decent sub, others are saying the room is just average and RX6's with the standard sub? Confused???

Do you mean two MA subs or two BK Monolith Subs? Some people are telling me the room is big and therefore needs the RX8's and a decent sub, others are saying the room is just average and RX6's with the standard sub? Confused???

I don't think two Monoliths are justified, but an additional MA sub may help ;)

Hi,

I would like the deep thumping bass for heavy movie effects. ?
Do yourself a favour, go and listen to the Paradigm DSP 3400. Its the size of a small car but the bass is subsonic

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom