• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Monitor Audio Rx1 vs Rs1 Help

Samz3700

Standard Member
Just listened to the Monitor Audio Silver RX1s today.

Really like them - in U.S. - they are close to $700 -

the old RS1s are on sale here for $450 on closeout

I thought the RX1s sounded great - no expert but they filled the room, were clear and had good base.

Problem is that I don't have any way to compare the RX1s with the RS1s - there are a few posts here and there but not much in way of comparison -

I would love to get the older RS - much better deal but don't want to be disapointed -

Anyone have any comparison insight - people seem to like the RS1 so guess i cannot go too far wrong with them.

Thanks in advance.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
What amp was powering the RX1s and which amp will you be using?

The general cocensus is that the new RX series is slightly smoother sounding than the RS series. The RS series are bright and are therefore ideally paired with warm amps. Wheather the sound form the RX is a 'slightly smoother bright' sound, or they have generally lost some of their brightness, I don't know.

Samz3700

Standard Member
I would be using an old Nakamichi AV-3s - someone gave it to me. I think that is a low end Nak - don't really know if it is smooth or not. My old dennon which I love gave up the ghoast but I could also get my parents old NAD from the 80s - which was pretty good then and have the blown chanel repaired - or so I think.

I will be using a receiver and not an independent pre-amp -

I need to check what amp they had in the store but i think that Nakamichi should have plenty of power 75/100 and I only have one set of speakers so I can run it on the more powerful line.

Hard call because I like the rx1 a lot but the rs1 are just a supper deal -

Dicklodge -
Would the Nak be considered warm - my guess is not because it's not like a high end pre-amp?
THanks in advance

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Dicklodge -
Would the Nak be considered warm - my guess is not because it's not like a high end pre-amp?
THanks in advance
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one. Maybe someone will know. If you don't get a reply here, you could ask on the reciever forums to see if you get an answer there.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom