• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Monitor Audio RS8 Speakers

Chris4Koi

Hi All,

I've just taken the plunge and opted for the Monitor Audio RS8's with the RSW 12 sub.... collect today.. :thumbsup: ... so cant wait to here them with my Pio VSX AX2AS....:thumbsup: as these were going at a very good price from Audio T who are closing down...
I just need the RSFX rears and RS LCR to complete the set-up...:smashin:

I've just noticed that there's a next range up LCR on e-bay... dont know if this would go with the RS8's...?

Regards
Chris

Chris4Koi

I should have also asked does anyone know what's the best speaker cables for this set-up...:smashin: I'm going to Bi Amp the RS8's...:thumbsup:
So have considered the Silver Anniversary XT cable, someone at Audio T has suggested Chord Rmour which is almost twice the price, does anyone have any advice on this....?:thumbsup:

Regards
Chris

I'm not sure on the drivers the M/A's use compared to others in the range but you should try and keep the front three the same if possible and therefore I would go with the matching RS centre speaker.

With regards to speaker cable I found the QED Silver Anniversary XT cable is great and works with most systems and is very revealing. I went from low end bi-wire cable to singe wire xt and the improvement was immediate! I am now using QED Silver Spiral Cables which costs 6x more but in reality only slightly better!

Good luck and enjoy! :thumbsup:

atr1981

I was under the impression you should use the same brand accross the front not always the same range.

I have opted for RS series across the front now but originally I was going for BR's for fronts and RSLCR for the centre.

it should ideally be the same drivers as it b&w's case the S series and D series should be matched within an 800series set up so Chris should be looking at using the same series really and not going for something like the GS as it will have a different sound and not match as well. Some people do say get the best centre speaker as possible but personally I'd stick with the matching RS centre speaker.

Chris4Koi

I'm not sure on the drivers the M/A's use compared to others in the range but you should try and keep the front three the same if possible and therefore I would go with the matching RS centre speaker.

With regards to speaker cable I found the QED Silver Anniversary XT cable is great and works with most systems and is very revealing. I went from low end bi-wire cable to singe wire xt and the improvement was immediate! I am now using QED Silver Spiral Cables which costs 6x more but in reality only slightly better!

Good luck and enjoy! :thumbsup:

Hi Arcam-boy...

Many thanks for that, I'll go with the the RS Centre.... and go for the QED Silver Anniversary XT cable ...Thanks:smashin:

Chris4Koi

I was under the impression you should use the same brand accross the front not always the same range.

I have opted for RS series across the front now but originally I was going for BR's for fronts and RSLCR for the centre.

Hi Roset3....
Thanks for getting back to me... Yes I've read that its best to keep to the same type fronts to keep the match...:smashin:

petetherock

Hi Chris
I tried the Anniversay XTs, the silver bit can be a bit bright, and with the RS6, I found it just a bit too searing for me, so I went for the XT tube 300 instead, - the only one without silver.
Cheers

P

Hi Arcam-boy...

Many thanks for that, I'll go with the the RS Centre.... and go for the QED Silver Anniversary XT cable ...Thanks:smashin:

ghislain

Hi Chris
I tried the Anniversay XTs, the silver bit can be a bit bright, and with the RS6, I found it just a bit too searing for me, so I went for the XT tube 300 instead, - the only one without silver.
Cheers

P

I second that :D
For HT use you would be fine but I would not recommend this combination for stereo. I see a lot of people using Van de Hul (e.g. CS122) with MA speakers and ultimately installed VDH speaker cable myself.
Makes a huge (positive) difference for the stereo experience but I have to admit it also takes a tiny bit of the wow factor out of the HT experience as everything sounds more 'controlled'.
Good luck with your MA setup and do give them some time to properly run in :thumbsup:

Chris4Koi

Hi Chris
Cheers

P

Hi Petetherock,

Thanks for that, I've taken your advice and went for the XT Tube in Bi Wire, so that I can Bi-Amp the front RS8's and Bi-wire the centre LCR....:thumbsup:

I also got a RSW12 Sub, but they lost the handbook, I notice it has both L & R inputs (and line ouputs)....how do I connect up to the Amp... which I think has one Sub output.... which do I chose.... :rolleyes:

I'm getting the handbook in the post...:smashin:

Chris4Koi

on most subs you can use either l or r. i use the left input(i think)

Hi PhilB...

Thanks for that... I'm give that a go and let you know how I get on.... :smashin:

Not having the handbook... just been looking to see if I can download one from MA website... not easy finding it, havent found one for the RSW12 yet...:(

Cheers

Chris4Koi

As a rule, the white one, (left I think) is used if you just hook up mono, but if you are worried about losing some bass, you can use a y-splitter :)

Thanks again Petetherock....:smashin:

I've managed to find the BRW10, which belongs to the silver range, on that it says connect to the RH channel.... I'm guessing the RSW12 would be the same and connected to the AV AMP Sub out.... so will try that:)
Regards
Chris

petetherock

Good on you
If you have not bought the biwire, my own opinion is that I didn't find a whole lot of benefit from bi-wiring, so you may want to use the XT 300 with a nice set of jumpers?
Some friends use a brand called anti-cables?

hottstuff

Banned
Nice choice.:thumbsup:
I have the RS6 , RSLCR , RSFX , RSW12.
Fronts Bi-Amped and all with silver XT Anniversary & Airloks.
Bi-amped the RS6 are absolutely fabulous.

All together as a Surround system , espec with the HD sounds , it is amazing , the best ive heard anyway.

craigd

So have considered the Silver Anniversary XT cable, someone at Audio T has suggested Chord Rmour which is almost twice the price, does anyone have any advice on this....?:thumbsup:

Regards
Chris

I think they love Chord a bit too much in Audio T, probably have a deal going with them - at least I reckon they do in my local shop. I got given Chord Rumour with my speakers and replaced it with Silver Anniversary XT Bi-Wire as I needed longer cable and thought this would be tidier. Couldn't discern any audible difference.

Chris4Koi

Having moved to Somerset (10 years ago now), I've just updated my home cinema set-up, now have the LG OLED65E9PPLA screen to replace my trusty Pioneer KURO 500A Plasma, which is still a fantastic display, but we wanted a larger 65 inch display with 4k resolution with HDR.
Also added the Sony UBP-X800M2 4K Blue-Ray player and have upgraded all the HDMI cables to suit the 4K set-up... everything else remains the same, as the sound system is just a sweet joy to listen to really complementing the whole surround sound cinema set-up, see my updated signature for the whole set up...

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom