monitor audio RS8 buying advice

matty2767

Novice Member
hi everyone

i have opportunity to buy a pair of RS8s. in the future i would hope to get a full surround system. therefore would the new RX series match up with it sonically and visually (ideally). i assume that i would be able to source any of the rest of the range of RS by the time i can get them.

i also heard that with smaller rooms (mine is 3.4 (l-r) x 3.8 (f - b)) by using the RS8 you could get away without using a sub. if this is the case would a 5.1 sound ok? how would the amp know to route the low frequency to the RS*s? sorry if these a novice questions

thanks

matt

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
hi everyone

i have opportunity to buy a pair of RS8s. in the future i would hope to get a full surround system. therefore would the new RX series match up with it sonically and visually (ideally).
matt

They have changed the available finishes in the new range; Cherry and Video Silver have been droped from the new range:

Finishes - RS8 | Monitor Audio

Finishes - RX8 | Monitor Audio

The RX range is also reported to sound slightly different --- a little smoother.

yoman228

Novice Member
Yes, If it is me, I would at least buy the center to match the tone for the front 3 speaker. Think it only cost £150 atm for the center if they still in stock.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
A sub will always produce lower bass than the RS8s can produce. Hence you will miss out on some of the soundtrack by not having a sub. Whether you will miss it in a small room is another matter and will depend on the room and you as well. Personally I would always have a sub (have one with my floorstanders) as I fell it adds a fair bit to the overall experience,

GYRODEC1

Novice Member
Hi Matty2767,

Due to the size limitations of your room, I think the MA RS8's may sound boomy. These spks do need to be positioned a few inches away from the back wall or you may get that overbearing boomy bass effect. This will also depend on the amp that you are going to use with it.

What sort of amp do you have/ planning to use with the spks?

matty2767

Novice Member
thanks for the replies guys

to be honest i am a few months from the time i was going to buy but the RS8s were a good price i thought i might get them now. from your comments i will give them a miss. i havent got an amp but i have demoed the RS speakers (with RS6) previously and would have got the denon 2310 to go with them.

i might not have been clear with my room dimensions (reading what i wrote). my room is approx 5.5m x 4m. the distance i was planning to have between the speakers is 3.4 (l-r) x 3.8 (f - b). would this still be suited for the RS/RX range or would it be more sensible to look at the BR, both 5.1 systems?

thanks

matt

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom