Monitor Audio RS6 speakers suddenly went muffled

sidlb

Hi Everyone. My hifi has suddenly gone muffled and very vague after some enthusiastic use a few months back. I thought it was the amp, but it appears not as the new amp also leaves it as blurry and muffled. All drivers seem to be working (although I cant be 100% on the tweeters). This affects both speakers, and all inputs. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Monitor Audio RS6, Roksan Kandy K2 Amp and CD, and a new Cambridge Audio CXA81

Orobas

my first thought is check the crossover incase a cap or something is gone... then through a multimeter across the treble drivers and check.

all signs point to the speaker with you saying it does it with a different amp also

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Have you tried something other than your cd player as a source? Just for the purpose of ruling it out.

Orobas

wine man

Those speakers have bi-wire links. Take the links out (unless you are already bi-wiring) and connect the cables to the top set of connectors only. If the treble is working you should hear some tinny music from them. If not they are kaput.

sidlb

Have you tried something other than your cd player as a source? Just for the purpose of ruling it out.
Yes. Same issue. Sounds like 2 tweeters may have gone at the party! Illcheck the resistance.
Those speakers have bi-wire links. Take the links out (unless you are already bi-wiring) and connect the cables to the top set of connectors only. If the treble is working you should hear some tinny music from them. If not they are kaput.
Thank you! I think they have gone. Replacements on order now - fingers crossed!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom