Monitor Audio RS6-AV; what amp are you using

monkeyleader

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Howdy - I had my heart set of a combo of the Yamaha RV1900 and the Monitor Audtio RS6-AV package.

I have since had a few people who don't really recommend this combo.

Given that I'm pretty sure of the RS6-AV package I was wondernig what amps people are using with this set?

I've had a demo of the Onkyo 876 which sounded very good, along with the Denon 3808 which again seemed to push all the right buttons.

Appreciate any feedback on this..

cheers,

Nige

I've got an Arcam 280 and Cambridge Audio 640r and both do a very good job indeed with a RS6/RS1 package (and GS10). There is no difference between the two receivers sound wise even when biamping with the 280. No idea whether any other amp would sound better as I haven't tried them but I would be very surprised if it did. Even if I won the lottery I'd keep the same receivers and spend my money on changing the room. Then getting a decent collection of vintage port.

Hi,

I have a Marantz SR-5500. I'm very happy with it.

I would like to test a pure stereo amp at some point to see if I can hear any difference.

Cheers
Greg

Whilst not exactly the RS6-AV package, I use Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers as fronts with a Silver RS LCR centre and Radius R90s as surrounds. My amp is an Arcam AVR 280 (as chapeau above) and I find the combination gives me exciting movie sound (from Panasonic BD30) and compelling music (from Arcam CD73).

Of course this amp is no longer available new but can be found secondhand. It replaced my Denon AVR 2807 which I found good for movies but lacking on the music front.

For me and my wife's tastes the bass response from the RS6s was sufficient for our needs and I do not use a separate sub. Maybe I'm missing something here :rolleyes:

I guess what I'm saying is that if music is equally important to you as movies be sure to demo your chosen kit with both, as I'm sure you will.

I was using the RS6-AV package with a Pioneer LX81 amp which sounded really nice, but after demoing the Arcam AVR600 a couple of weeks ago I have since sold my 81 whilst waiting to get a 600.

As soon as I get the 600 I'll report back as it will be interesting to hear how the combination will work as I demoed the 600 with a PMC setup, and to be honest I'm hoping the MA's will sound pretty good otherwise it could get expensive :)

Hi

I had been using my Sony STR DA 1200 to power my RS6's. Then the bug hit and had to upgrade. Bought AudioLab P6000 to power just the RS6's and find the bass to be much tighter and top end has lost some of the shrillness with certain recordings especially at high level listening.

Amps in sig. The p1000 is a nice amp for the money, can be had for £700 new from lintone audio which is a massive bargain. It works well with the rs6's, giving a fairly neutral-warm musical sound which the rs6's need to avoid sounding harsh. Bolt it on to a cheap av processor like the audiolab 8000ap and you've got a nice HD audio capable set up, that should be pretty good with music for around £1700.

I don't like the sound of the Marantz sr6003, it doesn't suite the rs6's at all. It's got good features though and sounds OK when paired with a decent power amp. The Audio Research amp is lovely but probably not what you're looking for, I wouldn't use it on it's own for films.

As for other integrated av amps, I wouldn't really know what to suggest. My focus has always been music, which is where these amps fall flat on their face, but then music's not the priority for everyone!

Hi All,

New to this forum - apologies if i've posted in the wrong place.

I have a Denon3808 AMP with Monitor RS6/RSCLR/RSFX and RSW12 spaeakers.
I was going through my speaker set up in the amp section and found that the crossover settings for all speakers are set to 80hz, i've been reading through some forum threads about assigning each speaker set to play at different ranges. - Now i know it all depends on the individual and speaker placement etc, my question is though, can someone give me a rough guideline to work with when changing the settings - at then moment i do find that when watching movies i don't get that deep bass that i know i should be getting

Thanks in advance - I am a newb in this area and would like some guidance.

Yamaha dsp 863 dampens the brightness goes well think the 1900 would go fine. can you demo as it would solve ur querie.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom