Monitor Audio RS6 as fronts for 5.1 system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JoeR, Sep 8, 2007.

1. JoeR

JoeR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the options I'm considering having listened to the MA RS6s in 2 channel stereo today and the sounded good if a little bright [if that means sharp an uncomfortable at the high end at higher volume] but that would be at volumes I'd not normally use...

If I do go down this road, what centre, rears and sub do any of you recommend?

FYI - the RS centre is too big for my setup as it has to sit in front of the TV so I need something slimline that will acoustically match.

Thanks for any advice..... :lease:

BTW - I also listened to the GS10 standmounts and they were great - does anyone think they shoud be considered ahead of the RS6s

Last question, how much space do I need to leave free around RS6s?

2. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I have the RS8s with the matching LCR and RSFX rears - the rears are particularly good when space is an issue.

I am upgrading to the GS20s and GS LCR now that I have had a home demo though!

3. ghislain

ghislain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The RS centre is a very good centre speaker though...try to reconsider as you will find that most of the dialogues are sent through the centre speaker.
    Compromising (as in using a smaller speaker) might not only disturbe the balance in your audio system (will it still sonically match and integrate with the other speakers) but could also significantly degrade audio quality.
    It can be done but it'll require some testing.

4. petetherock

petetherock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +340
    Mate I doubt if you can find another tonally matching speaker than the RS LCR.
    Right now when I play a movie, the speakers simply dissapear and I hear a seamless panning.
    Your decision though.

5. yetanotherbob

yetanotherbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I would tend to agree with what's already been said, the benefit of using the RS LCR is that when the sound pans you will get a seamless soundstage, if you plan on using a smaller, tonally different centre that could well be lost.

Have you considered the Monitor Audio Radius range? A pair of 270s as your main left and right and one of the smaller speakers for the centre (180 or 225) might fit the bill.

Bob

6. Bill_Abz

Bill_Abz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have Silver RS6's as the fronts in my AV setup, and use a Radius 250 as my centre speaker (Wall mounted under the plasma) and Radus 90's on the MA Floor Stands as the rears. Acoustically they match up quite well, and work very well as a complete system.

Bill.

7. JoeR

JoeR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pointers guys - have just checked is as I'm travelling this week - will ask my local dealer to setup some alternatives for me based on this advice..........

8. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Given you are asking about a multichannel array with sub it is very likely that the GS10's will perform better than the RS6's. The big is best brigade will never accept this but the fact is the most respected high end surround sound arrays are of the standmount/satellite and sub format.

What is the balance of your listening between stereo music and DVD/telly? What is your budget? There may be better options out there for you.

9. JoeR

JoeR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The balance between music/DVD is about 50/50..... am really trying to get in under the £2k level for speakers and AV amp..........

by the way that means i started with a budget of about £600 :D

10. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    You and me both!

I got the RS6 fronts to replace some old 1970 speakers. Until recently I had a Tannoy centre speaker and saved up to buy the MA LCR centre

As said earlier, the speakers disappear

As for the rears, make do with what you have just now. Output is small. You can always save for those next year if you are unhappy. You'll go for a woof-woof first!

What I would say to help is that these speakers take lots of time to run in and can sound very bright at the start. 100 hours later you are in the Albert Hall at the Last Night

The LCR needs room, I must agree. Bigger than my Tannoy centre but a totally different experience. As for the fronts, mine have the thick end of 24" all the way round them

The av amp incidentally is Sony 1200

11. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Agree with the sub but cannot agree with the "output is small" re surrounds.

If folk cannot associate a specific sound with a specific speaker is it right to assume it's not doing much?

We fired up LOTR2 last night. As I'm a decent fellow I gave my friends prime listening position, putting me close to the RS. I can assure you it is anything but inactive. LCR gives you sexy stereo with a compressed soundstage. Surrounds give you a 3rd dimension. This is what it is all about.

I do agree get good LCR and in particular sub, but do not belive surrounds are unimportant.

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    the advantage of the RS6's over the GS10's will be greater overall volume assuming your amp is spec'd to handle them........as someone above said that most of the best surround systems use small speakers, but then M&K's most expensive stuff have multiple drivers and are not actually that small.........the RS6's second bass driver WILL generate sound as it goes above 80hz.....i use the S6's, the previous generation and quite frankly im glad i do, for one thing it means they keep up with the SLCR i use for a centre as it is a twin mid/bass driver design........tbh the main reason to go with the RS1's would be a cost basis, otherwise go for the RS6's.....

but the GS10's are another matter....the quality improvement is pretty significant, for music certainly but also for movies....everything will sound crisper and cleaner......i love my GR10's and wouldnt mind upgrading to gold all around eventually, then i can upgrade my stereo side to platinum...heh

the downside to going gold is the gold centre is even bigger.....but oh hot damn is it good....heh...i do notice sounds panning from gold to silver to gold tho which is why i didnt keep my GR10's hooked up to the AV amp.....they just made the (somewhat brilliant) silver centre seem rather normal....

listen hard, go back for another listen if you are not sure.......but if you get the feeling you might get drawn to gold later on, get the GS10's and the Radius centre, then when you got more cash, sell the Radius centre and get the gold centre......(unless you can stretch straight off, in which case sweet beans! ;) )

13. JoeR

JoeR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 months later and real life, including a new baby, means I have not yet closed on this but progress is being made following a visit to Sevenoaks yesterday.... accompanied by better half so i have approval for this now!

Monitor Audio RS6 fronts are a must have for music and the whole RS setup sounded great with a Yamaha 1700 amp...

However, the RS centre is just too big to fit in with our decor - would obscure bottom of TV as as the latter sits in a designated area within an oak wall unit we can't fix easily

So, the question is, what centre can I consider that will work well with the RS6s? The guy in the shop said that anything other than RS will not work well but there's got to be some solution as I'm sure I'm not the 1st to have this problem..

Any/all help much appreciated - Joe....

14. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I was about to opt for the RS6's and matching centre as well, that was until I heard the Dali Ikon 6's. I found the Dali's not as bright as the the RS6's, boy the Dali's do sound nice. Granted they cost more than the RS6's, but not that much more. The other major plus for me was that the Dali Vocal 2 centre will fit in my TV/AV stand, it's a staright swap for my existing B&W CC6 center, whereas the RS-LCR was too big for it which would have meant major changel!

The Dali's will be driven by my Rotel 985 amp and Denon 3801 as a processor for the time being! ;-)

Not sure if this helps or not, just something else to try/think about :)