Monitor audio RS1 vs BR2

adventurer.life

Standard Member
Reaction score
Thinking about these two speakers torn me apart. I'm being offered the MA RS1 (being used for 3 years, the corner of the speaker is a little bit damaged + some scratch on the rear) for $420 through an online shop, while the brand-new-in-box MA BR2 is $500 (the prices are converted from Swedish krona). It's difficult for me to have an audition between these two. As a newbie in hifi world, I don't know whether the 3 years usage of the RS1 can affect the sound quality? Is the RS1 much better than the BR2 (I don't worry much about the bass as I already had a subwoofer)? Should I stretch my wallet at most for the brand new BR2?

I really appreciate your opinions so that I can make the final decision.

Hi,

Although I did not end up buying either of these speakers (as I eventually spent more on my screen than planned) I did audition these 2 along with the Kef IQ3 2 years ago.

The RS1 was much more detailed and weighty in my opinion. The finish was also more classy and sophisticated. It should have been of course as it is a more expensive speaker.

The 3 years of experience of the RS1's won't be a bad thing as speakers will last many years with lots of TLC. I'd check what warranty the shop is going to offer as the only problem with 2nd hand speakers is if they have been driven badly (underspecced amp, too loud too many times, etc.). The older speakers will not need to be 'run in' either of course.

What amp are you running ? Just asking as MA speakers tend to be a tad on the bright side so you may not want to run them with a brighter amp. Unless you like that sound of course!

HTH.

Rob.

The online shop offers 1 year warranty for the RS1, and the BR2 is with 2 years warranty (other shop). I'm using Marantz PM6002 which seems to be on the warm side so that I think they can match each other.

So to your suggestion then the MA RS1 provides better sound quality than the MA BR2. Can you give me more detail about your feelings as you actually auditioned these already.

Thanks.

The online shop offers 1 year warranty for the RS1, and the BR2 is with 2 years warranty (other shop). I'm using Marantz PM6002 which seems to be on the warm side so that I think they can match each other.

So to your suggestion then the MA RS1 provides better sound quality than the MA BR2. Can you give me more detail about your feelings as you actually auditioned these already.
Thanks.

RS1's without a doubt if you are getting a 1 year warranty as they will be, apart from the slight damage, in near mint condition.

To elaborate, vocals were more clear, instruments much easier to pick out and the mid range more open. The difference was immediately noticeable and you will not be dissapointed. I listened to Arcade Fire (Funeral), Nirvana (Nevermind), Leftfield (Leftism) & a calssical CD which I cannot remember the name of. They all sounded much better than I'd heard before.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom