1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio RS + A/V receiver?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by TimDeLAY, Jul 27, 2005.

1. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I would like your help on the above speakers. Ok, here's the case: I'm planning to set up a home cinema in my room. It is not a very big one, the space that the speakers will surround is about 10 square metres (about 90 square feet). The whole room is a bit bigger, but the extra space will be used so that there is some distance between the front speakers and the rear wall. So, the question is... which speakers and which a/v amplifier? To be honest, I've heard a few setups and liked the Monitor Audio Silver. But now I see that the new RS series is available, so I was thinking of going for that one. The setup I've thought so far is the following:

Front: RS6
    Centre: RS LCR
    Rear: RS FX (I can wall mount them)
    Sub: Velodyne CHT-10R

As for an amplifier I've thought of the Marantz SR8500, I've read that it will be a good match for the MA's (of course I'll try to audition too). I guess I could go for the Arcam AVR-300 but I wouldn't like to pay the extra money. What I'd like to ask is the following:

a) What do you think of the above setup? Ok, this is a matter of personal taste, but, considering the RS is a new series, has anyone heard them? Any comparison with the Silver series? Are they an easy load etc.? General opinions on the series? What about the price? Is it higher than the original Silver ones?

b) Do you think that the Marantz 8500 is powerfull enough to drive them? Considering it's a small room and they are relatively an easy load I think it should be sufficient... but what do you think? Would you propose another av amplifier at the same price range?

c) Do you think the RS6 are too big for a small room? Maybe they sound too boomy... on the other hand there will be about 1 metre distance between them and the wall and I can always fill the bass reflex ports. The other thing I had in mind is that in front of one of the speakers (half a metre distance) there will be the bed, which will cover some of it (considering it's about 50cm high and the speakers are 85-90 cm). Could this be a problem? Would it be better to go for the RS1? On the other hand they seem too small. I would really like for the fronts "powerful" speakers. And I can also set them to small, with a crossover at 80Hz so that mainly the bass/mid unit and the twiter will do most of the job while the bass unit will be more "silent", especially since I'll be using the Velodyne CHT-10R. Do you think that the Marantz, having as lower crossover point 80Hz and not lower, would be a problem?
    Ok I don't think that the RS8 would suit. They're too big for a room, aren't they? If, of course, someone thinks otherwise, please let us know. Of course in such case I'm not sure the Marantz would be enough for driving them, what do you think?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers!

2. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I heard the previous MA Series with marantz receiver and liked the sound very much!

I think the Marantz, Arcam or Rotel AV Receivers line-up make a good match...

I would go for the Marantz 8500, very good and easy to find at a good price.

In a small room I would prefer bookshelf speakers with a good musical subwoofer with good Hi-level input like a REL or MJ...

3. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    You can't really call a 10m square room small, especially as you also have extra breathing space in the area you aren't going to use.

When looking into speakers, consider the size of the whole room, because the sound will need to fill, else you will lose all your bass.

The set up looks good to me.

You may also want to consider the kef and B&w av setups.