Monitor Audio Radius

sapkan

Established Member
Reaction score
Any reviews or group tests of the monitor audio items? Only managed to find a short article on a US website. :lease: help

p.s. no access to UK hi-fi magazines so please post the results here. 10x

I haven't read a UK review of any of the MA Radius range, i was told by a salesman in Sevenoakes(sheffield) that they are being put up for review very soon.
I would advise you to go and demo them asap, be warned though that once you do you will buy them put simply they look and sound stunning :thumbsup:

there is a shop in my country that sell monitor audio but they dont have the radius range in stock. I was thinking along the lines of 3 225s up front and 4 90s for the rear + radius subwoofer. Would like to have two floorstanders (think they were 270s) instead of the 225s for main speakers but the furniture setup might not allow it. What do you think?

sapkan said:
there is a shop in my country that sell monitor audio but they dont have the radius range in stock. I was thinking along the lines of 3 225s up front and 4 90s for the rear + radius subwoofer. Would like to have two floorstanders (think they were 270s) instead of the 225s for main speakers but the furniture setup might not allow it. What do you think?
If you ask fuzzybee nicely he may show you some photos of his set up! Very nice!

I would suggest any combination of the Radius 225's or 270's would be a superb option, three R225's for the front speakers would be stunning in performance and looks.
If you have got a wallmounted plasma i can think of nothing better than three R225's along side it, however i went for the R270's as i feel they will perform better in two channel stereo and wallmounted a R225 just under my screen.
The R90's are beautiful speakers, four at the rear would be something to mouthwater about, i will certainly go that route when i have upgraded my receiver as thats the next thing on my list.
I cannot stress how good the Radius range of speakers are, i'm in the process of buying a decent digital camera, when i do i'll post a picture :thumbsup:

Fuzzybee thanx I get the feeling I am on the right track, will be waiting for those pics. I am very interested to see how the Radius looks in a real life set-up. I think I am gonna go for the black finish with the silver grills on. I have not written off the 270s as there might be enough space to squeeze them on each side of the long cabinet I have planned for underneath the plasma.

Sapkan here's my MA Radius speakers in my setup, i'm sure you'll agree they look loverly and they sound even better. The floorstanders are the R270's and the center is a R225 :smoke:
Two more pictures can be found on the Get your plasma out for the lads part 2 thread

Attachments

• Picture005s.jpg
    Picture005s.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,682
  • Picture006s.jpg
    Picture006s.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,239
Hope this picture uploads

Attachments

• 100_0554.JPG
    100_0554.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 775
I'll try another

Can't seem to upload, one more try.

Paul, hows the 180 as a center? read somewhere in this forum that it struggles as a center speaker

I find it very good, however I have not heard the 225 so cannot compare them.

The 270's are excellent and since buying a Denon 3910 dvd player a few weeks ago the pure digital sound via denon link has taken my home cinema to a new level.

Paul

i have the same setup and mated it with a radius 225 as advised by monitor audio and i must say the r180 does struggle a bit. Alex at Monitor Audio stressed the fact that the r225 were used in the development of the r270s. If you can afford it then i will put my money on the r225 as a centre for the r270s

hope this helps

here goes

Attachments

• HC4.JPG
    HC4.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 679
i would also advise you try out the monitor audio pureflow cable as it is the same cable used in the wiring og the radius setups as well as the gr10s, silver series etc

another

Attachments

• HC1.JPG
    HC1.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 680
Bugsterbuns

May i ask why you don't have the grills on your R270's ?? IMO they look much better with them on and they do protect the tweeters etc(still look good though)
It's a shame you cannot widen your speakers for the front soundstage as the R270's work best at around the 1.8 meter apart distance.
I totally agree about the R180-R225's if your going for R90 or R180's as fronts then the R180 as a center is what you want, R225's or R270's as fronts then the R225 is what you want :thumbsup:

good stuff boyz, I am relatively new to this forum and it is nice to see so many people willing to help and give advice!

hi there fuzzybee, the grilles are on using the black grilles instead of the silver one which did not quite work with the decor.

listened to the 270s about 1.5 m apart and did not notice that much difference in the soundstage but then again have been going back to back with MA HQ and they agree with me.

Rep to pop over later in the week will keep you posted

In the manual for the R270's it states around 2 - 2.5 meters apart will/should give the best performance although 2.5m sounds a bit to far for my ears.
Once i've got rid of the display cabinet mine will be around the 2m mark and that to my ears is perfect :smashin:

It is all down to preference though i suppose, speaker placement often has to be done around walls/furniture etc so it's by no means an exact science.

fuzzy... you the man, tell you what will space them out tonight and see whether i am convinced. all i need to get now is a disc to calibrate my screen. PQ is really good just want to see if it can be any better

Hey guys,

Finally installed my MA's at the weekend... 3 x 225 at the front, 2 x 180 + 1 x 225 for the rears and the R360 sub... all in black laquer (to match my Pio 434 and Alphason rack).

Went through a lengthy procrastination phase before buying these (approx £1400) but on balance, they represented reasonable "value" (which is highly subjective) for money - when compared with the likes of the KEF9000ACE and B&WFPM's.

For movies, I'm very happy (although they need to be run in a for a bit yet obviously) - although I had to tweak the delay on the amp, as sound was not matching up to mouth movement initially but it seems fine now.

For music... I'm just not sure yet... the sound seems crisp but tight and a little strained and certainly no where near the clarity of my Proac's (which I might sell/trade in due to lack of space and aesthetics) but I think I can live with this sound and at least it's not harsh to my ears.

Overall, I have to say that they are beautifully finished speakers - particularly in the black laquer... and even more so with the grilles off!! I know this is a personal thing but I absolutely hate grilles/baffles on speakers - it's so much nicer to see the engineering, the gold dome tweater and silver drivers.....

I will post some picture in the next few days (possibly closer to the weekend) and you can judge for yourself...

Derry

Has anyone compared these to the Bronze or Silver series? How do they match up?

hmmm
would have settled for an r180 for the rears, what amp are you using as i went through a phase of 10 different makes before deciding on the denon 3803 ( the one MA use in their development ), personallyi think the radius series perform at their best with denon receivers

Can someone tell me about their opinions on the R360 sub. I'm thinking about this range, but on paper I think I would ditch this sub in favour of a REL or MJ Ref.

Does the sub integrate well?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom