1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio Radius

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by stebbo, Jan 21, 2004.

1. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just poking around the web... As you do! and noticed that the above have two new models within the range

www.radiushifi.co.uk

THey do look nice.
    I have a 90 and a 180 at the moment. Looks like I will be buying again shortly!:cool:

2. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never understood why manufacturers don't produce more slim floorstanders. Most people don't have space for large floorstanders and don't want stands or wall mounted.

A good idea , I wonder what they sound like?

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone know the RRP of the R270? They look the business.

4. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I believe they are around £500 the pair.

5. TimG-Kent

TimG-Kent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and not available until April, apparently. They've just updated their site.

I was going to use the R225 as a centre, looks like I'll have to wait or think again!

6. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I use six 180's and are very please with them. Must admit that I find the 225's a bit too similar lookswise to the PA systems as used in Churches....

I love the look of the floorstanders though....

Not much speak or owners of the Radius on this board...but I would choose them anytime over the Kef range...

7. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a 180 as the Centre Channel and 2 x 90 as surrounds. My fronts are pre=outed through my hifi amp to Dynaudio 52's. I must admit that the Radius speakers are very very good indeed. I had a listen to the Keff eggs and chose the Radius 90's.

I believe the Kef Eggs are very over hyped. There are a number of competitors to them that equal or exceed the performance. What the competitors lack is the advertising budget to "encourage" the magazines to say so!

8. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just bought my first AV system a week or so ago, and bought four Monitor Audio Radius R90's and one R180, and an M J Acoustics Reference 100 subwoofer didn't like the MA R360.

I also auditioned the KEF KHT2005.2's and the B&W VM1's, but bought the MA's as they were the more musical and the better looking. They also have it on looks and build quality - and they're made in the UK. The VM1's sounded very good, especially with music and it was tough call between them and the MA's but the VM1's are nowhere near as attractive. Have to be honest, I didn't think that the KHT's were particularly 'musical'.

At the moment I'm only using the subwoofer and two R90's with my Arcam Alpha 5+ stereo amp as the silver Denon 2803 AV receiver isn't due in for another week or so. Am very pleased so far with music, am going through all my favourite CD's - haven't been able to try them with home cinema just yet!

9. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just phoned Sevenoaks to see if I can part exchange 2 of my R90's for the pair of 270's when they become available, they are looking into it.

I agree, lets here more from Radius owners !

10. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be very interested to know what they come up with, cause I would be in a similar situation as you.

11. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I tried a stereo test yesterday comparing Radius R90s with MA Silver 1 and also Quad 11L.

This may sound like unfair competition for the Radius but I am desperately trying to find a sub/sat setup which is reasonable for music as well as films and wanted to see how much of a compromise the R90s would be.
    Wanted to try them with a Ref 100 sub but the dealer only does Rel Quake at that price range so we tested with that.

Must admit I was pleasantly suprised with the Radius but wasn't convinced that the sub was the best match.
    Overall the sound wasn't as full as with the other 2 speakers which is quite understandable, but I certainly came away from the dem thinking that these were definitely worthy of more investigation particularly with other subs.
    There was very little time spent adjusting the sub/amp and it was only connected via Lo level connector.

Would appreciate if Radius owners could assist with the following ....

1. Did any of you try them with the Quake before deciding on other subs ? I wonder if the lack of integration was down to setup or that this is the wrong sub to partner the Radius.

2. With the Ref 100 and Radius combination, does anyone use the Hi and Lo connections simultaneously ? Does this make a difference to music ?

3. Did anyone try the Radius with a higher spec sub (e.g. B&W 675, larger Rels) and was it worth it ?

4. Where do you set your amp crossover ? My amp (Denon 2800) is fixed at 80 Hz so I may have a problem if this is not ideal.

I see that some have R180s across the front and wonder if that decision was to benefit music or just to give a fuller sound for films.
    Would have liked to hear these yesterday but the dealer only had 1 R180.

Thanks in advance for your help. I would like to try and hear the Radius in the best possible environment and any information you have would help me to tailor any future dems.

cheers

Gary

PS Sorry for all the words. I don't do concise very well :)

12. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    verrellg,

Just wondering why you didn't try the Radius 360 sub. I think you will be surprised how good this sub is.

13. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nemo,

Was told by the dealer that the Quake was a much better sub for the money so didn't bother trying the 360.

This seemed to go against a lot of the comments about the Quake on the forums but I thought I'd go with it and try to judge for myself. Unfortunately didn't have time to try other subs.

There was a black 360 in the demo room but because of his comments and the fact it looked a bit cheap and plasticky I didn't pursue it. (I know looks aren't the main factor but I've still got to live with it).

Might try one next time.

Gary

14. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Know what you mean about the looks, I had the same reservations to. Interestingly I was told by my dealer NOT to try the quake because it was no good. Did listen to the MJ REF 100 but decided to get the 360 to partner my 3 x 180 and 2 x 90's. Was really suprised how it managed to fill the room with such a small size/power output.

15. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nemo,

Thanks for the responses.

I think I will try the 360 next time - maybe it looks better in other finishes ?

One question you could answer if you don't mind - where do you have the crossover set on your amp and sub ?
    I'm concerned that, as with some other satellites, 80 Hz is too low, and this is my only option with my current amp.

I know in theory the 180s go down to 60 Hz but I'd be interested to know whether this is actually true in practice.

Thanks

Gary

16. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a REL quake a 180 and 2 x 90. My main speakers are Dynaudio 52se attached to a Cyrus 8 amp. I "pre-out" L/R to the cyrus.

I also have the Quake attached to the Cyrus amp via the High level connection.

I am very very happy with the quality of everything in my set up.

I even tried swapping the 52's with the Radius 90's and listening to music. Whilst there was a difference it wasnt as much as I expected and with some careful adjustment on the sub crossover to approx 90hz it was very good.

I set the AV amp crossover to 80hz and dont notice any issues at all. I use the 180 as a Centre channel set to LARGE.
    I think these little monitors are fantastic. I tested against the Kef eggs and thought there was no contest.

High recommended.

17. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Stebbo,

Thanks for the info.
    It's interesting to see the quality of kit that people are using with these speakers.
    I too thought that the 90s for music gave a different, but not necessarily worse sound than the standmounts I had previously tried. I also suspected that it could sound a lot better with some tweaking of settings, sub position etc.

You've possibly started me on another path now though, as I was extremely impressed with the Quad 11Ls and am trying to decide whether I have room for standmounts.
    I was put off a bit by the fact that the Quad centre appears to have poor magnetic shielding and also its price - £350.
    Maybe a 180 for centre duties would work with the Quads as well as the Dynaudios.

I see another dem coming very soon :)

Gary

18. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Verrellg,

I ran the MCACC setup routine on my AX5i and the crossover was automatically set at 80 Hz.