1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio Radius R90's. Sub?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fulllupo, Oct 27, 2005.

1. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all,

Im just about to move into new house and am building system from scratch. I will use the system basically all for tv/movies from sky+ (then Sky HD), also choosing dvd so prob just go for Denon 1920 as its seems alright and not that much to tide me over til dvd-HD/blueray. Also will be used for xbox 360.

Im pretty sure im getting the Pioneer 436xde, and was originally going to get the B&W MK20's as the surround. But after going to seven oaks i was impressed by the look of the MA Radius range. Sevenoaks didnt have the mk-20's to demo so i dont know which is better.

I will go 5.1 with 4 x r90's and R180 centre. My question is with the sub. The package ive seen comes with the R360, but looking at the figures it seems maybe a bit lightwieght at 100 watt, (though so do the speakers at 60 watt!). For another couple of hundred the R720 at 250 watt, i was wondering if anyone has this system and which sub they have and if the R360's enough??

I have had a demo of parts of the system, nbut think it had upgraded fronts and didnt know what amp/sub it was. so am going back to seven oaks to demo full system, but wanted advice first.

As im posting, im also deciding on the amp at the mo, and have read good reviews on the yamaha DSPAX757SE. Is this a good match? Was originally thinking more on an £800 odd level of sub, but thought this may be up for task and could save me some money for once!

Thanks for any help

Regards

Paul

2. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Try this... 2x R270 + 2x R90 + R180/R225

BK or REL/MJ sub

For a better match witn MA sound something like a Marantz SR5500/5600...

3. conkerman

conkerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I demo'd the MT-20.

They rock :)

Should be getting here tomorrow :)

4. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Do you not feel the R90's at the front are strong enough? And the sub to weak?

Any particualr reason why the yamaha amp isnt a good match?

I think ill prob end up with the MT-20s as im sure they prob sound better, i just like the looks of the MA's wiht the 436xde black finish. If i keep upgrading the speakers on the MA its gonna be alot more too

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    the MA's are nice speakers.......worth getting, if you go back for the demo, go for R90 all round if you dont wanna blow too much cash, and get them to hook up the nearest to your budget Denon amp, Denon and MA seem to work very nicely together....

for sub i would definitely say go for the best you can stretch to cash wise, altho i would say your better looking at an REL than the MA.....if you can meet a Strata 5 go for it, will work good with MA's........when it comes to satellites, you want as good a sub as possible as it is handling a lot more work than it would if paired with floorstanders.......if u get them from sevenoaks, dont forget they do interest free over 12 months now, so you can splurge a little more...heh ;-)

6. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ha, interest free, first thing i look for!

Cheers for the assistance, il see how i get on!