1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio Radius R270 & R225 where to buy

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fuzzybee, Sep 3, 2004.

1. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I'm about to replace my very overated mk2 Kef eggs with the beautiful Monitor Audio Radius range of speakers.
    I'm going for the R270 floorstanders and either a R225 or a R180 center all in white, i'm still going to use the eggs for rear usage for now but will be replacing them with some R90's when funds allow.
    I demoed them in sevenoakes in sheffield a few weeks ago and will more than likely buy from them, what i would like to know is how much did you pay for yours as they will pricematch for me.
    They sell the R270 for £499 a pair and a R225 for £199 or R180 for £150, i'm sure i can get them for cheaper but am struggling to find many dealers who actually stock them.
    Can anybody suggest some dealers that sell them and for what price, any help will be greately recceived as i've got the funds and i'm itching to get them.

2. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks for that mate, still the same price but some speaker cable free with the R270's is a good option, i did a search on google and all i seem to get are US based dealers.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    1. You want the product
    2. Your dealer has taken the time to demonstrate that is is a superior product
    3. The dealer can get you the product.

What's the problem, stop quibbling about a few pennies and just buy them if that's what your after. If you feel they are too expensive then look at cheaper speakers or wait a bit bit longer until you can afford them. The dealer has price tickets on everything in the store, this is so that the customer is aware of how much he/she has to spend to own that product before he/she even listens to it. I'm sure the dealer can arrange to do you a deal on some cable or on the new Radius 90 floor stands if you to buy them altogether.

5. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Yes i want the product, Yes i have the cash, Yes i will be buying from Sevenoakes and YES mr crusty you do have a chip on your shoulder.
    Everyone who buys anything shops around for the best deal they can get especially in the AV world.
    I have already stated they will price match any deal i can find, so to maybe save myself a bit of cash i am trying to source some at a cheaper price.

I have absolutely no quibbles in paying £499 for a pair of R270's and £199 for a R225, however if i can get them cheaper Sevenoakes will do them for me at that price so you do the maths as you seem to have an answer for most things.

6. bugsterbuns

bugsterbuns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    tell you what i bought a pair of Radius 270s off Ebay for £280.00, had to drive over to essex to pick them up. Also picked up a pair of Radius 90's off Ebay for £140. However ended up buying a Radius 225 from Sevenoaks in Leicester.
    Good Luck with your hunt

7. bugsterbuns

bugsterbuns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  8. bugsterbuns

bugsterbuns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  9. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello FuzzyBee,

I bought my Radius 270's from HIFi 4 Less for £430.00 including delivery a few months ago.

Hope that helps

10. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I ended up paying £680 for a pair of R270's and a R225 from Sevenoaks in Sheffield where i demoed them, i was always going to buy from them anyway. They also included 8m of Chord Rumour speaker cable and six pairs of banana plugs, so i was happy with that. I always find Sevenoakes in sheffield a very helpful and welcoming AV dealer, infact i was in there yesterday buying some stands for my rears speakers.

:smashin:

11. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    fuzzybee

Would be interested in your thoughts on the Radius vs Eggs.

Have eggs mk 1 and am looking at 3 x 225 and Sfx rears. Not had a chance for a proper demo, just a quick listen at a show.

Gus

12. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Having owned the kHT2005.2 package for virtually a year i thought i was happy with the sound they produced. I then saw and arranged a demo of the Radius range, they are simply in another league, the R225 or R180 as a center speaker are vastly superior to the center in the mk 2 egg package.
    The better vocal clarity is very evident even the missus has commented on it, as for the R225's as main l&r's go for it. I suspect you are going for the 225's to wallmount i would have done the same was it not for me falling for the R270's they are simply stunning. I also demoed a R90 package with the R180 as a center and the matching R360 sub. Very comparable to the mk2 eggs as a package but absolutely trashing the eggs in performance.
    To be honest i only bought the eggs due to reviews and a very quick demo and i now realise they are a very limited package and very overhyped. I am still using three for rear usage at the moment and also the sub but they will be replaced as and when funds allow.

13. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

I would expect the eggs to do just fine as rears, having the front 3 matching is the main thing, and I agree the centre is a weak spot and I will look forward to getting a better one. I like the dipole/bipole flexibility on the rears but if you play a good bit of sacd and dvda then normal speakers are better on the rear, ideally voice matched to the front.

I bought the eggs just about the time they were released and there really wasn't much competition at the time, and to be honest they looked pretty good compared to 5 black boxes on wall brackets.

However I have just put a plasma into the room and am looking to upgrade the 2011/575 Pioneer system later this year so want something which will be considerably better than the eggs.

I did briefly consider the Mk2's but have ruled them out, I will look into the 5005 though. I obviously like MA (see sig :) ) so the Radius looks like it will be top if the list along with the Gold CP inwalls.

I don't have space for floorstanding speakers so everything has to be mounted on the walls. Do you know if the 225's can be mounted on a sidewall? I have an awkward shaped room and the best place for the left front is on the left wall, not on the front wall beside the centre. Also what are the speaker posts like on the 225 and can you biamp them?

Gus

14. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I think you may have problems mounting a R225 on a sidewall then having it at 90% as the mounting brackets are fixed flush on the back of the speaker and don't offer any movement.
    You may be able to get a wall bracket with a ball type joint allowing you to do what you are suggesting but i'm not sure ??
    Regarding the connections you get just one set of dinding posts which will take banana plugs, much like the Kef eggs but bigger if you catch my drift ??
    I'm not sure on this as i have never done it but to bi-amp i would guess you need two sets of binding posts on the back of a speaker so this may not be an option.
    The R270's are very slim and don't take up much space at all, if it's at all a maybe just go and have a look at them you may be suprised how little space they take up.

15. bugsterbuns

bugsterbuns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have a Radius 225 as a centre speaker and 2 r270s for the fronts, unless you get some aftermarket brackets i do not think it wil be possible to mount them into a wall corner unless of course you fill the corner with a triangular wedge. having talked to monitor audio the r225 are more so designed to be flush mounted with plasmas

hope this helps.

it might be worth noting that the stands for the r90's are out have you considered this option

16. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    I am going to have to try and see these in action local to me, but a quick question if I may.

How silver is 'video silver', some of the web pages give a different impression. It looks a reasonablly dark grey silver as opposed to a lighter silver that is common on cars these days?

17. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    The video silver you mention to me looks quite dark but i haven't seen it in the flesh as i bought white, my demo also consisted of white.

18. bugsterbuns

bugsterbuns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    silver is not dark in the least
    it is more like the silver you see on cars but in a lighther shade, if it helps at all pop into your local hi fi dealer andd i am sure they would at least have the radius range in the colour

19. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    Yep, caught up with these in my local seven oaks store in watford. Had the R90 in silver, not dark at all.

They had the floorstanders in black, didn't care for the black that much but boy do these speakers look good...and very wife friendly!!

So how good are these speakers? I am currently running with my original fronts being the Mission M70 range, how much better would the radius be?

Anyone have any pics of their set up?

20. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will post some pictures of mine, if you're interested.

21. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    I'm interested! Go for it!!

22. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I have some **** poor quality pictures of my work in progress, i'll e-mail them to you as i can't edit the size :thumbsup:

23. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I have only seen a couple of pictures of the silver :confused: i love the white lacker they just look so good

24. bugsterbuns

bugsterbuns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i just have not figured out how to post pictures on here would have loved to post the shots of my r270's only wish you could hear them as well

25. diggler46

diggler46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    could you email them to me too please fuzzy..