Monitor Audio Radius 90HD vs 180HD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by marctwo, Mar 1, 2013.

1. marctwo

marctwo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I currently have 2 x MA Radius 90HDs and a BK Gemini 2 sub. I want to complete my 5.1 system and am trying to choose between the following options:

Option 1
    Front 90HD
    Centre 180HD
    Rear 45HD

Option 2
    Front 180HD
    Centre 180HD
    Rear 90HD

Option 2 would cost me £130 more than option 1. Is it worth the extra?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Having the same speaker across the front 3 is the ideal so if you can afford it I would go for Option 2.

3. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Option 2 is the better choice - R180HD's all the way round would be even better

4. marctwo

marctwo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the suggestions. I realise option 2 is better, I just want to be sure it's £130 better.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Only you can decide if it is worth the extra money. For some people it will be but for others it will not. I would say it would be worth the extra, if for nothing more than to stop you thinking what if you had bought the R180s!!!!!! £130 now is better than having to buy a pair of R180s in a few months time as upgraditis strikes.

6. marctwo

marctwo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks. Of course you are right, but I haven't heard the 180HDs, only the 90s. I hoped somebody who heard both might offer an opinion. I'm very happy with the 90's. I don't know if the 45's would be disappointing in comparison.

7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    The 45s are pretty small and have a restricted power rating and frequency repsonse. Personally I think the 90s would be better for rears.
    What receiver do you have? Does it have an individual crossover for each speaker or a global one for all? If it only has a global one then 90s for rears will be a better idea so you can have the crossover lower and make the most of the larger fronts.

8. marctwo

marctwo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's a Yamaha RX-A810. Global crossover only. Sounds like I'd be better off with option 2.

9. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946
    I think you should go with 90HD'S at the rear and save up a little and go for 3 x 250HD'S preferably or 3 x 225 HD'S at the front, it will give you a good bit of welly across your front sound stage and may save you a few quid in the future.

The speakers are superb, nice choice ;)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. marctwo

marctwo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Maybe I should get 5 x 270HD ;)

Unfortunately I don't have the space or money for anything larger than the 180s.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and advice. I think I will push the budget and go for 3 x 180HD at the front and use my 90's at the rear.

11. marctwo

marctwo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've put in an order for 3 x 180HD which should arrive Friday. I can't wait!

I think it was the right decision, the 45's would really have compromised the whole system, especially when it came to setting the crossover frequency.

12. marctwo

marctwo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks to everyone. I've got the 180s and 90s setup now and it sounds great. I need to spend more time experimenting with the crossover point though. Does anyone have any recommendations?

13. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,517
    Cross them over at 100hz/120hz. Whichever sounds best.

14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    Haha, just had Deja Vu since I read a similar post on Pistonheads and commented that I think you did right getting the front three R180s. :D

Try playing familiar clips over and over (ideally when everyone else is out ;) ) and change the crossover to see if you can hear the difference and have any preference. FWIW even my comparatively large PMCs sound best crossed over at 100Hz in my setup, so don't feel obliged to stick at the usual 'THX' 80Hz default.

Equally don't go un necessarily high since the surround effect will lose depth as the bass will be sent to the front of the room (or where ever your sub is). Remember that while very low bass isn't directional once you get above 80Hz it starts to become directional,so a surround effect could be weakened if part of the directional frequencies are sent to the sub. Also that the crossover isn't a 'hard' point it's a slope, so you still get signal to the speaker below the set point, just that it will tail off.

To check for this, turn your sub OFF and play those clips again and see if there is a crossover point where the surround effect starts to sound really 'thin' or tinny. You may have to compromise since the R90s won't go down as far as the R180s, but we're talking very fine tuning here, so don't get too obsessed with it all and above all, enjoy. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013