Monitor audio radius 270hd vs newest 270 model

IIK3nnyII

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if a new pair of monitor audio 270 speakers could be sourced how much better the newest 270's are over the hd model? I have seen some hd variants at a bargain price and wondered if the difference was night and day or just an incremental upgrade? I am aware the mid bass driver technology has changed to c cam with long throw drive units and a few other changes here and there, but are they massively better? Please bare in mind i am coming from the 1st gen mass system and will be pairing them with the radius 200 centre and a bk xxls 400 subwoofer also.

Many thanks

If you are pairing them with a BK woofer and utilising the hi-level input, then the HD's will should be deliver everything you will need. Yes there are differences, but using that woofer with hi-level to handle the bottom end will mean that the differences are smaller than you would ordinarily experience without using one in this way

If you are missing the cable, you can have one built to order using AudioQuest cable

You don´t need high level connection for movie system if that is your use mainly?

Do you want to buy almost 13year old speakers used? The HD range came 2008. I would be very skeptical of buying such old speakers unless you know the seller or get some super deal. One member just bought the original Radiuses. Faulty drivers and the seller making up stories now.

You could try to put wanted add for the newer latest (2013) Radius 270 here at classifieds. Very expensive (769£) new still as you can get the latest Silver 200s for same price (799£) if you look around, they are very small too.

Hi @Gasp3621 ,

The speakers are from a friend and have been very well looked after (they look practically brand new) he only wants £225 for the 270's. I thought this was a reasonable price?

Last edited:
The differences are at the bottom end where the hi-level cable remove the benefits and as @Gasp3621 mentioned, (I hadn't realised so much time had passed since the discontinued them)

Connecting the hi-level will enable you to enjoy stereo sounds where most lifestyle of this type loose out. Remember not everything you watch is in 5.1 and switching the Sub/Sat option gives you less control than using the hi-level cables as this is the same signal as the speakers

I cannot deny that the Silver 200's would be a better bet, however, when people usually want speakers similar to the Radius, this is because this is more of a choice of style over quality and all I'm mention about the hi-level is how to reduce that factor by a massive amount

Hi @Gasp3621 ,

The speakers are from a friend and have been very well looked after (they look practically brand new) he only want £225 for the 270's. I thought this was a reasonable price?

It`s tricky call. They are cheap the 270HDs your friend is selling and the new ones are not really unless Shane can make you great deal. ;) Changes from HD:

Key performance enhancements come from new all-metal driver configurations. The new range utilises C-CAM bass drivers, featuring concave cone profiles introduced originally by the the company’s Platinum series and subsequently on its Gold GX. The drivers benefit from the latest developments in cone geometry and drive mechanisms to extract optimum performance from Monitor Audio’s signature C-CAM material.

Unlike conventional cones, which incorporate a centre aperture for the voice-coil, the new Radius bass cones take the form of a continuous rigid surface, coupled to a longer voice coil and larger motor. THe company says the wholly revitalised Radius bass drivers offer greater drive force, longer excursions and lower distortion, producing cleaner, more extended and accurate bass definition.

In addition, a new 25mm C-CAM tweeter has been developed to deliver what is said to be the widest, cleanest frequency range possible from the compact Radius cabinets. The Radius tweeter vents internally through a specially designed housing and around the outside of the magnet system to a rear-loading chamber for much lower resonance and better damping. As a result lower frequencies at the crossover point with the bass driver are more accurately resolved, creating a smoother, more natural response from the system.

Thanks @Gasp3621 i would love the silver 200's but I'm literally pushing my luck with the 270's 🤣🤣 (WAF approval required) 🤣🤣 maybe in time. I just want to improve the sound quality overall from what I've currently got and for £300 pounds he is selling the 270's and the newer radius 200 centre (This is less than 2 years old) with the c-cam drivers as mentioned above. I've placed an add previously for the newer gen model and if a set were to turn up i could get them and probably sell the hd set on for not much of a loss.

Thanks @Gasp3621 i would love the silver 200's but I'm literally pushing my luck with the 270's 🤣🤣 (WAF approval required) 🤣🤣 maybe in time. I just want to improve the sound quality overall from what I've currently got and for £300 pounds he is selling the 270's and the newer radius 200 centre (This is less than 2 years old) with the c-cam drivers as mentioned above. I've placed an add previously for the newer gen model and if a set were to turn up i could get them and probably sell the hd set on for not much of a loss.

By all means proceed then. Bought from friend so you probably know he has been taken good care of them and as you said they can be sold later the mains if you start to crave the latest ones. Those lifestyle ranges are always easy to sell cause there is lot of nagging wifes, you know that. ;)

By all means proceed then. Bought from friend so you probably know he has been taken good care of them and as you said they can be sold later the mains if you start to crave the latest ones. Those lifestyle ranges are always easy to sell cause there is lot of nagging wifes, you know that. ;)
Yes like mine that's how I ended up with 4 x radius 90's and a 200 centre it was an easy sell when she seen them 😂😂

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom