Monitor Audio R90HT1 vs Focal Dome 5.1

truemanuk

I am looking for style speakers, any one can give me advices on that?

Monitor Audio R90HT1 vs Focal Dome 5.1, which one is better? Which receiver is best for them? Thanks.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Don't know about the monitor audio but I've recently bought a focal dome set. Running it with a 2012 model, the denon 2113. The 2014 version of that amp is the x2100w.

The sound out of them is remarkable for such small speakers. What has surprised me is how good they are with music. A great listen. I'd happily recommend them as a good value product.

truemanuk

Thanks, I know dome is very good, just want to know the difference between them, I ordered R90HT1 today. Now I have a question on setup the receiver, with R90HT1, 4 speakers at 8 ohm, center at 6 ohm, how to setup the impedance, 6 or 8?

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Leave it at 8 ohm.

mtenga

Distinguished Member

truemanuk

I finally got MA with Yamaha 1030, this combination is superb, from yamaha instructions, they suggest 6ohm used, MA is very good in both movies and music, also smoothly integrated with my synology 1812+.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I finally got MA with Yamaha 1030, this combination is superb, from yamaha instructions, they suggest 6ohm used
All you are doing is throttling the voltage to the power section which damages the overall sound. With speakers such as this and a receiver like the 1030 you are not gaining anything and are losing something. As long as your amp is properly ventilated you should always leave it at the 8 ohm setting, regardless of the speaker impedance. The safety would soon shut it down if it couldn't cope. It's just based on a US safety protocol and unnecessary overkill for your setup.

truemanuk

Thank you very much for your advice, from the dealer and manual of Yamaha, they told me to setup to 6, I called monitor audio today, they told me to setup to 8. LOL. Anyway, I setup to 8 now and feel no difference. Ventilation is good, not hot of machine. I think today's receiver can cope with both setting well.

mistrip

Novice Member
How much did you get the MA package and receiver for? I'm considering the same two systems, focal dome or Monitor Audio R90HT1. Focal dome seems to be a lot cheaper though.

truemanuk

I called a few dealers, and finally one offered me Yamaha A1030, R90HT1, and a pair of stand(around £150), with some banana plugs and 30m cables(less than £50 I think) at exact 2K. My preferred price is around 1800 but really can not find cheaper one. For forcal dome, you can find many bundle offer at 1000-1200, also a good choice,

Last edited:

Joao Marques

Hi truemanuk. Where is this dealer located ? Is it in London? Can you provide me with contact details? I am looking for the exact same set up! :)

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom