Monitor Audio Platinum Series - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dankeech, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Hi All,
    Thanks to Canti1982 here in the speakers forum, as Canti's posted a link in a thread with info on the Monitor Audio Platinum range of speakers, the range up from the Gold Signature Series.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics nabbed from a german site, but appear to be official Monitor Audio's pics so seems ok to post.

Wow, if they sound anywhere near as good as they look....

Mod for this forum, let me know if the link provided is ok, or whether the info is copyable to this thread (as in info property of MA and copyable for info purposes etc)

Knight_byte..., better start saving up ....

Dan :D

2. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Nice find, I was looking for some more pics. Yeah I dont know if these are official pics but they appear to be.

Must be looking at 8-10k for a 5.1 setup, wont be getting them in a while...

Still good to see they are pushing themselves :)

3. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Got to say that I need to pop into my local retailer when they get some of these in. I'll never be able to get them as don't have that high a budget, but will sure be keeping an ear out if my retailer sets up a set:)

The finish alone seems to set a new reference point under MA's belt.

Ribbon tweeters do seem to be gaining popularity at quite a pace.

Dan.

4. audio15

audio15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Guys,

Great to have your interest in the forthcoming Platinum series. Most of the pictures you have posed were not intended for official release, especially the ones that appear to be just snaps. These were just take of some early prototypes in our studio and were not finalised designs.

It appears Widescreen review jumped the gun by publishing the press release way too early -oops! The Platinum series will not be available until early summer, so we won't be showing it at Bristol.

I am intrigued as to the German website where the pics were otained, because I can't find anything. Can one of you guys send the link to me?

Many Thanks

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    *dribbles heavily*

ok, who wants to buy a granny?

:D

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600

assuming you are part of Monitor Audio, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE arrange a day for AVF members to come to a private showing of these speakers sometime before launch day.....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (preferably in London so i can get there :D :D :D)

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    wow, they are so gorgeous, even if the design changes a little, i doubt it will be by much.....mmmm..yum.....my MF A5 just meowed as it saw the pictures and is begging to get connected :D

8. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    After a bit of searching about it looks like they have got the images off the german monitor audio website.

http://www.monitoraudio.de/Platinum/

If you try putting /Platinum on the uk site it takes you to the homepage, must be a problem with access on the german site. The german site seems to be the only one affected.

I cant see this being a major problem for Monitor Audio, everyone who has seen them so far seems impressed, good work :D

9. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    PM sent Audio15

Dan.

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    had to come back for a look before going for fun on CS:S.......mmmmm.....waaaaa...noww.....please...*whimper*

(omg, i think i just turned in to a fanboi....lol)

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have always liked MA speakers and the GR and Silver speakers offered fantastic performance against many other brands and these new speakers look beautifull and I for one will definitly try and get a demo asap :cool:

12. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    CS:S?

And yes, with over a 3rd of the posts on this thread being yours,....:rotfl:

Dan.

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    CS:S = CounterStrike: Source.....the online game thats a mod created using the Half-Life 2 Source engine technology (CS the original game was the same thing taken from Half Life 1, which i believe was Quake engine tech?)...its basically one of the reasons why online gaming is so popular, public servers up to 30 people a side (so 60 people total) altho you can play competitive ranking tournaments of 5 a side...one side terrorists, other side counterterrorists (think Ghost Recon/Rainbow 6), one side has to plant a bomb or rescue hostages depending on the map.....however generally people go for the total annhilation of the other team :D

anyhow back to the important stuff....the speakers!..heh

They do look rather special dont they Recruit.....wonder how long before any public demo models will be available......also wonder if they might slip in a small floorstander sometime......if only because i'll probably have more chance of affording it :D

14. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Those look outstanding! I bet that ribbon tweeter costs a fair bit - I wonder if MA make that themselves? I can't remember a previous model using a ribbon...

I wonder if they have a sub planned??

Having MA speakers myself, if there ever was a get together (slim home perhaps) I would be up for it.

Russell

15. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    going on the details that were on that site that shouldnt have been showing them off, it sounds like an in-house design the tweeter...so i assume MA are making....it used all the c-cam type wording and stuff....i cant remember now...waaaaaaaaa....lol

Good point on the sub, i did thunk about that myself.....still not sure but i think the FB212 is still in production, either that or they just have lots of stock left..lol....however it would be nice if they could add a Velo DD/REL Stentor level sub to match the series.......not that i'd buy it unless i won a lot of money...lol.....my PB12+ is going to have to last me for a while...rather get a staggeringly good pair of stereo speakers first...heh...(not that my GR10's aren't astoundingly good, but i've been waiting near on a year to hear MA say more about these Platinums...lol.....just need MF to come good on their mentioning doing some AV amps again and i'm in heaven.....bye bye Denon....heh...well, probably keep it for video switching, i'd hope MF would concentrate on the audio more..lol)

well, even if MA dont come back and let us faithful on here have a little early glimpse, might see if i can get my man at Swiss Cottage 7oaks to let us use the demo room there for a whole afternoon and evening or something when they are released...heh....i'm sure he'll be stocking them....

i seriously need to get a job paying three times what my last one did so i can clear my debts and have spare cash for when these come out :D

if only DVD's hadnt got so cheap, i could have rustled up a grand selling off a couple hundred...lol....i'm sure i could find something else to sell......anyone want to pay silly money for a very limited edition map of Ankh Morpork?

16. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    ..errm.. I don't see what the big deal is ;)

Who'd have thought this thread would be dominated by KnightByte? Lol

KnightByte, keep it in your pants!

17. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    oh i should whomp you for the first comment......the second comment and third i've gotten used to :D

dont see what the big deal is?? its MA's return to the audiophile level speakers, their answer to B&W 800 series pretty much....i would say and KEF Ref series but tbh i find the MA GS60's more enjoyable to listen to than KEF REF 205's...lol....but i think thats more down to the style of delivery..the KEF's suit rock very well but i dont listen to a lot of rock....

18. Dynaudio Desire

Dynaudio Desire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    OK this is not good I have seen these! I ordered some GS10's before christmas but cancelled them hastily realising my room is not ready and I don't even have a decent system to hook them up to yet! MONEY!! GRRR!

But now I have seen these....I am doomed! I am just going to keep saving and saving then will realise I dont actuall have a system! But TBH I doubt I will even bother with these as I predict they are going to cost £££££££££££!

19. Nomis900

Nomis900
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for cost, i know this is in dollars but it is a good guide line

The Platinum Range will be available in May 2007.
    MSRP:
    Platinum 300: $8,995.00 Pair
    Platinum 100: $4,295.00 Pair
    Platinum 350C: $4,295.00 Each
    Platinum 100 Stand: $695.00 Pair
    Platinum PLC Stand: $495.00 Each

20. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    to be honest i wouldnt call it a guideline..US prices rarely mean anything to the UK market...the 100's for example could end up being £2k, £2.5k or £3.5k for all we know......i'd sincerely hope they'd be realistic and go for £2k so compete with B&W & KEF......but if they reckon people will pay a high price they'll probably be looking for £2.5-£2.7k i reckon.....i hope not.....given how much they are saving on the RS range since moving production i'd have thought they'd do the decent thing and help the high end market buyers save a little....

DD....dont panic.....if you bought these speakers you'd be talking a minimum of £1.5k for the amp, although i think most would be looking at spending around £3k........source well that varies but i reckon most would be looking the more exotic examples such as Mark Levinson etc......ie £3k+ as well...heh
    stick with the GS's unless you plan on spending £10k purely on the stereo side of your setup ;)

21. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Looks like they plugged the hole in the site pretty quick, dont blame them really.

Lots of manufacturers make pages with no links to them but allow you to gain access simply but adding /...name of the product. Not that I would encourage people to leak images to the press, especially if it has a negative effect on the company :lesson:

In this case they seem to have been met with very positive feedback. It will be interesting to see how the perform against the likes of B&W's 800 series.

22. audio15

audio15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi MA fans,

Hot off the press. I'm here in sunny Las Vegas CES presenting the new Platinum series. The reaction has been awesome and the demo is sounded fantastic. I am sure you will see some press info from around the world. In the meantime take a look at the info. Sorry about the pic, I got dazzled by the damn flash:-

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2007//index1.html

If anyone needs any further info, I can now officially provide you with a few more details.

:thumbsup:

23. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why the decision to go with a ribbon tweeter (I hate 'em)? Would it not have been better to go the Dali route and have a dome tweeter as well?

24. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299

Would love to get some official specs, uk market prices and some official spiel regards to their construction etc....

Post away, there's some hungry hifi lovers here:D

Dan.

25. audio15

audio15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Bit of a broad statement that. You hate what? The look, the sound? And why, you didn't explain. Here's why we chose to use the ribbon:-

I have spent over three years devdeloping this ribbon, it's not off the peg. The height of the ribbon and the loading means we have been able to create a vertical dispersion which is almost as good as the horizontal. Always a problem in older ribbons, but an issue we have addressed.

We developed the dome tweeter probably as far as we can for now. Despite amazing claims a dome tweeter cannot attain frequency responses flat to 50KHz, which our ribbon can. It's a matter of mass, voice coil inductance etc.... The ribbon has a very low mass and no voice coil. I can provide you with impulse reponse plots of our ribbon vs the B&W diamond dome. No comparison!

One more issue; A dome has a break up. Sure you can push it higher by using more rigid materials, but in the end a more rigid material mostly fails due to poor internal damping properties. There is no breakup with our ribbon.

Hope that explains the reason. It's purely performance and no BS or visual marketing reasons forced the decision.

:smashin:

26. audio15

audio15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I'll post some more info when I get back to the U.K. It would be great to be added to the Manufacturers list. I'll send you details.

27. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Any idea when Alex is likely to be able to get hold of some demo samples bring up to me in sunny Scotland?

28. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the explanation. It is the dispersion characteristics that I dislike -great that you have addressed this. Also the lower High frequency response (if that makes sense) has put me off as I could perceive a 'gap' in the transition from Mid -Mid/High to high freqencies.

I like the fact that you have included a small mid/high driver in the floorstander and centre. Very attractive looking speakers and I hope you do well with them.

29. audiojunkie

audiojunkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Unreal, I wonder what finishes they will have,gloss black?
    If I start saving now,I should have them in 2010.

I'll be looking for them here on the west coast.

30. audio15

audio15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Audiojunkie,

No black gloss available. This is completely intentional as we already offer black gloss in the GS series and wanted to offer a higher finish quality. This means there are only piano gloss onto exotic woods available. Initially these will be piano gloss rosewood and piano gloss Ebony. The Ebony will go in any dark/ black or brown interiors.

Available in the U.S sometime in June.

Audio-15