Question Monitor Audio PL300 mk1 vs mk2

indus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi
Have any owners of the mark1 PL300 heard the mark 2? Was it a subtle improvement or significant?

Toying with upgrading my PL300s but only if its a proper improvement....I even have this mad idea to buy the PL 500o_O

Hi
Have any owners of the mark1 PL300 heard the mark 2? Was it a subtle improvement or significant?

Toying with upgrading my PL300s but only if its a proper improvement....I even have this mad idea to buy the PL 500o_O

A set up some can only dream of. I've no direct experience but I'm interested in the PL100 II standmount after hearing the predecessor. Just a pointer from during my searches, Nintronics have some discounted Platinum models ex demo if that would help sway you towards the newer models, including floorstanders.

A set up some can only dream of. I've no direct experience but I'm interested in the PL100 II standmount after hearing the predecessor. Just a pointer from during my searches, Nintronics have some discounted Platinum models ex demo if that would help sway you towards the newer models, including floorstanders.

Thanks for the heads up. Great minds... I was indeed looking at ex dem models with a different dealer, but actually Nintronics is much closer. If I get a decent trade in price on my set then it starts to sort of make sense.

However the PL300 mk2 needs to be clearly audibly better than mk1 for it to be worth the expense and hassle.

Whether I can go one step further and get away with a pair of 6ft high speakers (ie PL 500) in my living room is another matter:D

Last edited:
Nobody with the mark 1 heard the mark 2??

Hiya indus,
I spent an afternoon comparing the two just after the PL 300 mkii came out , I would've needed to add almost 5k to what the dealer offered for my mki's and there was no way they were that different let alone better so I spent the cash on a turntable and cd player.
That said your ears might tell you something else entirely and I expect folks that have made the change will say they're on a different planet improvement wise!

HTH
Stu.

Hiya indus,
I spent an afternoon comparing the two just after the PL 300 mkii came out , I would've needed to add almost 5k to what the dealer offered for my mki's and there was no way they were that different let alone better so I spent the cash on a turntable and cd player.
That said your ears might tell you something else entirely and I expect folks that have made the change will say they're on a different planet improvement wise!

HTH
Stu.

Hi Stu

That's very helpful indeed. I suspected that would be the case tbh.

So if I want an upgrade it'll have to be the PL 500. Not even sure I can accommodate them yet and then there is the cost....

May I ask what trade in value you were offered?

Thanks

Hi indus,
trade in was my mk 1 speakers plus 5k and the mk 2's were 7,999 at the time ; main difference was more tonal than anything with the new speakers having a slightly smoother treble - this was most noticeable on orchestral music but I don't listen to that anyway!
I should say that my main use is listening to music so that might colour my opinion somewhat , I think for home cinema useage any difference would be less obvious. Oh and I didn't listen to the pl500 'cos of the sheer size of the things , I reckon you'd need a room about 30 x 30 x 10 ft and plenty of amplification.

Stu.

Hi indus,
trade in was my mk 1 speakers plus 5k and the mk 2's were 7,999 at the time ; main difference was more tonal than anything with the new speakers having a slightly smoother treble - this was most noticeable on orchestral music but I don't listen to that anyway!
I should say that my main use is listening to music so that might colour my opinion somewhat , I think for home cinema useage any difference would be less obvious. Oh and I didn't listen to the pl500 'cos of the sheer size of the things , I reckon you'd need a room about 30 x 30 x 10 ft and plenty of amplification.

Stu.

Thanks Stu

My room is about 8m by 8m with high ceilings and the amplification options are out there as it seems hypex based class D amps have come of age.

I'm seriously tempted to pull the trigger on these monsters....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom