1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio or Wharfdale

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pjwraith, Jul 19, 2005.

1. pjwraith

pjwraith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking at some speakers for a home cinema setup, at this stage I have been looking for speakers that fit the "look" I am after (no the best criteria I know but the wife is involved !! ).

I have seen some nice floorstanders by both Wharfdale and Monitor Audio, each around the £250-£300 mark on sale. I am expecting to find some smaller ones to wall mount for use as rears. As regards fronts I have seen several recommendations to get a centre from the same manufacturer to match whatever floorstanders i buy.

Are Wharfdale and Monitor both solid performers generally for both floorstanders and centres?

Am I best advised to get the rears from the same manufacturer as well? (Would help with colour matching no doubt)

What subwoofer should I get to match?

2. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 floorstanders for my Hifi (bought 2 years ago, but still available) and a MS Genie system for the Home cinema.
    Prior to buying the Genies, I also tested the MA Bronze speakers and the new Wharfedale 9.1 (standmount) - both sounded good - the MA having more presence/authority - it has larger drivers.
    The previous model Wharfedale 8.4s have very good reach, down to 35hz and you could run these without a subwoofer, they produce tremendous bass. You should certainly pick the same make for the centre speaker - the rear speakers could come from other manufacturers - though both Wharfedale and Monitor Audio produce some excellent rear speakers at reasonable prices.