1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

monitor audio opinions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bad ass, Oct 26, 2005.

1. bad ass

bad ass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've upgraded my kit, i've done the fatal thing and borrowed some more kit from work.

I've brought the RS6's to try against my RS5's. now the RS6's provide a little more lower frequencies than the 5's.

The only things that are swaying towards the 6's instead are a the extra frequency range, also if in a years time i upgrade my amp I have the beefier speakers there to give me more flexability (also the extra bass driver looks a little nicer than just the one driver, not important I know, but still!)

Whats anyones opinion please??

http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc009434ee.jpg

my current setup http://photobucket.com/albums/d114/martynfrancis/

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If the big difference is in the lower freqs then try playing with your sub and integrating it better. If you can get the upgrade for cheap and you also like the look of the 'bigger' speaker then that may sway things, but if sub fequencies are the difference your better off tweeking the sub.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i've got to ask......how do you have RS5's? they dont exist even on the Monitor Audio website?...lol...i just checked as i didnt think they had made them, neither the UK or USA site has them up....

im perplexed....lol

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    oh btw, a helpful suggestion, if you can, put your centre speaker on the shelf that the TV is on, looks like you will need to put something under the TV foot to raise it a little so the centre speaker isnt blocking your view........seriously, i originally had mine lower and altho it sounded good when i changed things and got the centre speaker at the same height more or less as the mid drivers on the my S6's, oh it got so much better :)

5. bad ass

bad ass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    RS5's were released about a week ago, where I work we are a monitor Audio dealer so I got first dips, prob the first person to actually get a pair home. the site has been ammended but no picture yet! I'm just special! :D

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    ahh, they have them on the site today...lol.....

so they same type of thing as the S5's were, dont go quite so low, but easier to drive.....(obviously one less driver helps there...lol)

tbh i found the S6 preferable over the S5, i found the extra dynamics from the S6 were useful for some of the music i listen to......
    i would say the S5's would have been nice in a bedroom in a shared house or something, enough to make you happy but not over the top so as to offend your housemates with sound...lol

whether or not the RS6/RS5 follows the same pattern only you can tell atm...lol

i definitely prefer the looks of the Silver S series over the previous Silver series and the new Silver RS series...

7. bad ass

bad ass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thats why I'm changing from the RS5s to the RS6's because even though on movies there isn't much in it, the 6's bring out a little more mid range and lower end frequencies. the trend is still there. imo the 6's just fill the room with a little bit more depth musically

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    aye, they do, their footprint is more potent too....(at least in the S range it is)

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    One thing I really like about the RS range is the spike adjustment. Brilliant!