Monitor Audio Mass Gen1 speakers - centre speaker upgrade to an Apex A40?

LMP1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Looking for any advice please that others may have already gone through on upgrading a centre speaker to the MA Mass Gen1 speakers. Currently I have a Denon AVR-X4500 with 7.1.2 set up, using Monitor Audio Mass Gen1 (bought 2 extra for the rears), plus a pair of Dali Alteco C1s for Atmos. Had this for 5 years now and really pleased over a previous ageing Canton 5.1 system. However speech detail from the centre egg (laid on its side) could be better and lacks some mid range base.

I do like the Gen1 satellites, as these are solid well made with the drivers are C-CAM, I believe the Apex A40 uses C-CAM as well so would this be a good choice to give better speech and mid range base? Or would the Bronze C150 be ok, I do not want to upgrade the other speakers, just the centre for now.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated. Budget £500.

At that budget might be able to pickup the bigger silver 250/350 centers but I ca guarantee you that you'll change left and right soon after

Thanks for replies. I shall indeed take a look at the 250/350s, but might be a bit too expensive, but I'll leave it up to my ears to decide!

No longer using the Cantons, so I've got MA Mass Gen1 satellites all round in 7.1, so including the front left and rights. Happy with the MA sub, if a tad big, but I never understood why MA did not package the system with a proper centre front, rather than have to use one of the satellite eggs on its side. Surely it would of made sense, but appreciate it might be down to cost. So the hope is to get a proper centre for better dialogue and a bit of mid range punch, as the room its not huge typically 6.0m (including cupboard) x 4.2m.

If you do just to one of the Bronze or Silver centres, be sure to upgrade the front left and right to balance the front end

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom