Monitor audio MA3 crossovers

Kera0004

Standard Member
Hi just open up my 1976 ma3 to change the caps on the crossovers what a wonderful old smell inside .my question is has any one used Mundorf ECap .seem like good middle ground cap to go with .also dose any 1 know if the orange caps in the picture are film caps thanks for any help Kev

Attachments

• 20220213_094705.jpg
    20220213_094705.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220213_094608.jpg
    20220213_094608.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 29

Kera0004

Standard Member
Hi is this what a leaking cap from 1976 looks like thanks for any help

Attachments

• 20220213_091809.jpg
    20220213_091809.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 32

JBA6

The orange components look like resistors to me and I don't see any sign of capacitors leaking in your photos but if they are leaking then Mundorf non polarised capacitors should be fine.

Kapkirk

All the ones with the ++ symbols are non polarized electrolytics normally used to save costs and are smaller than their more expensive Polyester and polypropylene counterparts. The orange component in your pic look like 33 ohm resistors but you won't know for sure until you remove them and look at what's printed on them. They probably won't need replacing tho.
I have used the Mundorf Non polarized caps in a few speaker projects, they're not the best TBH, I found their sound to be poor especially if in series with the tweeter. If you can source them, ALCAP NP's are a lot better for sound quality, I believe Falcon Acoustics still have some stock, give them a call if you can't find the value you are looking for. I think they also do Solen caps.

If you have the space on the circuit board (and budget) to use polypropylene caps on the tweeter circuit then do it but be careful as large values can be physically LARGE and expensive so check sizes. You can find the tweeter capacitor by following the wire from the tweeter to the circuit board, the first caps you bump into are usually them (usually lower values 3.9uf - 10uf) If you are not sure post another picture of the complete circuit board.
The Solen or Ansar Supersound polypropylene caps would be my choice, superb sweet sound and not too expensive.

Kera0004

Standard Member
All the ones with the ++ symbols are non polarized electrolytics normally used to save costs and are smaller than their more expensive Polyester and polypropylene counterparts. The orange component in your pic look like 33 ohm resistors but you won't know for sure until you remove them and look at what's printed on them. They probably won't need replacing tho.
I have used the Mundorf Non polarized caps in a few speaker projects, they're not the best TBH, I found their sound to be poor especially if in series with the tweeter. If you can source them, ALCAP NP's are a lot better for sound quality, I believe Falcon Acoustics still have some stock, give them a call if you can't find the value you are looking for. I think they also do Solen caps.

If you have the space on the circuit board (and budget) to use polypropylene caps on the tweeter circuit then do it but be careful as large values can be physically LARGE and expensive so check sizes. You can find the tweeter capacitor by following the wire from the tweeter to the circuit board, the first caps you bump into are usually them (usually lower values 3.9uf - 10uf) If you are not sure post another picture of the complete circuit board.
The Solen or Ansar Supersound polypropylene caps would be my choice, superb sweet sound and not too expensive.
Thanks Kapkirk I've ordered the mcaps so see how the old ma3s sound I'm thinking to do 1 at a time and compare .my next project is a old moog synth not a lot of help out there for this .ones again thanks for you input much appreciated 👍

Kera0004

Standard Member
Interested to see how these sound compared to the ELCaps .The readings for these elcap was amazingly close to what they were spect my end up putting them back lol 😆

Attachments

• 20220219_145302.jpg
    20220219_145302.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220219_145316.jpg
    20220219_145316.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 18

Kera0004

Standard Member
Yep sound better higher tops no change to mids lot tighter bottom end well pleased

Attachments

• 20220220_125905.jpg
    20220220_125905.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 13

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom