monitor audio iws-10 sub and in wall amp

keane16

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I bought monitor audio inwall speakers and the monitor audio IWS-10 in wall sub bout a year or so ago and never got round to setting them up.

Was looking at installing them next week and through google, now realise i need an amp for the in wall sub to power it.

I have a denon av receiver and thought i could just connect the sub to the receiver.

Do anyone know of cheap amps that i can use to hook up to the receiver and the sub, i'm not looking for anytihng expensive as i'm at the stage where any base from the sub is better than not using it at all.

Do you have the back box for it too? Surely that needs to be thougth out what kind of space you going to put it so it performs optimally.

The amp:

Do you actually need it to go in-wall now as time has passed or could you perhaps sell it and buy normal boxed sub?

i've only gotten round to putting up a new mdf partition wall over the last few weeks.

Other stuff going on in life meant putting it on hold, so now have a wall with the holes already cut out, so my options are buying a very basic amp to power it or just put the subwoofer into the hole and let it sit there unpowered

i dont need the back wall as it's going inwall but dont want to spend so much on the monitor audio amp you mention, i'm looking for something as cheap and basic as possible

I hope you have thought carefully where you made the hole.

@DodgeTheViper can you move this thread on Subwoofer DIY section, those guys rarely reply here and they should know best which cheap amp to look for.

IWS-10 product specs:

Frequency Response28 Hz - 120 Hz
(when mounted in optimum enclosure)
Impedance (Nominal)8 Ohms
Sensitivity (1W@1M)86 dB
Maximum SPL
(Partnered with IWA-250)
Single unit 109.8 dB
Pair 115.8 dB
Power Handling150 W

@DodgeTheViper can you move this thread on Subwoofer DIY section, those guys rarely reply here and they should know best which cheap amp to look for.

IWS-10 product specs:

Sensitivity (1W@1M)86 dB
Maximum SPL
(Partnered with IWA-250)
Single unit 109.8 dB
Pair 115.8 dB
Power Handling150 W
'Partnered with IWA-250'

Is that the amp from the manufacturer that they recommend?

IWS-10 product specs:

Sensitivity (1W@1M)86 dB
Maximum SPL
(Partnered with IWA-250)
Single unit 109.8 dB
Pair 115.8 dB
Power Handling150 W

i hope so, have a hole that the carpenter did so that the sub slots in ok so im hoping i just have to connect the sub to a basic amp and then to the av receiver.

Was hoping something cheap like this would be ok

Amazon product ASIN B07TTMN51V

'Partnered with IWA-250'

Is that the amp from the manufacturer that they recommend?

Yes! But i assume you can buy some cheaper one and use in bridged mode (8ohm)?

I presume you are building an enclosed mdf structure to house the woofer in-wall, of similar dimensions to the recommended one?
The partner amp will most likely have some eq in there to shape the response. It will not be easy to do that without spending a bit more money than you were planning.
Check the ohm of the subwoofer with a voltmeter if you don't already know it (probably 4ohm but maybe 8). Then find an amplifier which supplies the recommended 150w into that ohm.
Not sure how much power the amp you linked to outputs but probably ok for what you are doing (certainly not what it claims with a 32x5 power supply). Whether is reliable or not I don't know.
Personally, I would get a used small bk (or similar) sub for about 150 and put it behind the sofa.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom