Monitor Audio inwall 7.1.4 options

KrisK99

Standard Member
hey all, im building a new 6m x 4m ht room in our new house. and would like to use inwalls for 7 ear level speakers and 4 in ceiling for atmos, looking for what i should use for the 11 speakers from Monitor Audio.

my supplier has recommended these to me. i was wondering if this would work well in my room size or would it be worth upgrading any of the models to something else in the MA range?
lcr will be behind an AT screen.

3 x w250 lcr
4 x w265 for surrounds
4 x c265 for in ceiling.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
hey all, im building a new 6m x 4m ht room in our new house. and would like to use inwalls for 7 ear level speakers and 4 in ceiling for atmos, looking for what i should use for the 11 speakers from Monitor Audio.

my supplier has recommended these to me. i was wondering if this would work well in my room size or would it be worth upgrading any of the models to something else in the MA range?
lcr will be behind an AT screen.

3 x w250 lcr
4 x w265 for surrounds
4 x c265 for in ceiling.

It really comes down to budget. If you can spend more then keep the surrounds and ceiling speakers as mentioned, but put more money in to LCR (front three)! That is where the most bucks should go and which makes the most difference. If you can opt for the 380 / IDC 3-way models then why not cause you have decent size HT room.

If in doubt contact MA directly and specifically the tech side guys! I know MA recommends 265-IDC for Atmos duties, but it´s quite expensive and i would rather use the money in to better LCR speakers (Silver range quality) than ceiling speakers for the odd effects.. That is if you have to choose.

Contact information for tech persons at MA:

[email protected]

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Can I ask why MA?

Can i ask why not? 😁

On a serious note i think the gear in Australia is very expensive by default, in-wall/ceiling speakers have always premium price on top of that. Something like the MA 380 IDC range is basically "Silvers" and comes with 8" drivers and 3-way design dedicated mid-range drivers. So they should be on par / better than your Apexes, so quite decent speakers without spending crazy amount.

Last edited:

KrisK99

Standard Member
Can I ask why MA?
@Harkon321 I like the installer that im working with and he's going to be doing the whole install for me including AT screen. he only supplies MA or Earthquake so out of the two im going to go in for an MA setup. ill be moving to this setup from Klipsch box speakers that i currently run. maybe ill sacrifice a bit of SQ (or maybe i wont, time will tell) , but i know ive got some really good subs for bass and the main driver for in-walls for WAF as she hates the box speakers. so i think ill be alright going down this path. whilst there are other brands i could ask other dealers about, the price point for the MA is very appealing and it saves me a whole lot of time talking to other dealers which is good as well. there arent really any places here to test in-walls anyway so even if i was to go in for a klipsch or earthquake solution, the decision would still just be based on research rather than hearing them.

KrisK99

Standard Member
I know MA recommends 265-IDC for Atmos duties
you were spot on about this. their response was

"My only suggestion would be that if budget permits for the Atmos speakers the C265-IDC will be an improvement. The addition of the IDC has a wider dispersion characteristic, which we find works well for Atmos"

i find it interesting they only advised on an upgrade for the Atmos. does that mean for the surrounds , a wider dispersion characteristic is not really necessary?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
you were spot on about this. their response was

"My only suggestion would be that if budget permits for the Atmos speakers the C265-IDC will be an improvement. The addition of the IDC has a wider dispersion characteristic, which we find works well for Atmos"

i find it interesting they only advised on an upgrade for the Atmos. does that mean for the surrounds , a wider dispersion characteristic is not really necessary?

I`m not really familiar with those.. But even if the IDC is better how much it matters for average Joe? Cause we talking about some overhead effects. If you think about how much more they cost vs. could you use that money for better LCR then i don`t think there would be any question marks where the money should go!

Back box versions:

KrisK99

Standard Member
Do yo
I`m not really familiar with those.. But even if the IDC is better how much it matters for average Joe? Cause we talking about some overhead effects. If you think about how much more they cost vs. could you use that money for better LCR then i don`t think there would be any question marks where the money should go!

Back box versions:

do you think the 380 idc without back box would be ok or splurge for the backbox ones?

KrisK99

Standard Member
Do you run a particular setup of inwalls by any chance or listened to em would be really interested to hear more as I won’t get a chance to listen before buying / installing em

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Do you run a particular setup of inwalls by any chance or listened to em would be really interested to hear more as I won’t get a chance to listen before buying / installing em
Nope.

I think generally the one without backboxes is prefered. Would @Seriously Ltd agree who installs in-wall systems weekly?

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
We would lean towards sealed in walls.

Keeps the internal components dust free and the cabinets have been designed to give maximum response.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom