Monitor Audio introduces Platinum 3G range

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Monitor-Audio-Platinum-3G-Serie.jpg

Monitor-Audio-Platinum-C250-3G.jpg

Overview of the main features of the 2022 Platinum series​

• 3rd generation MPD III tweeter with reduced distortion, smoother frequency response with a wider, clearer, more balanced and therefore lifelike sound.
  • The RDT-III membrane behaves like a perfect piston even under the most extreme loads, ensuring precise, lifelike tonal balance and low distortion
  • New, optimized midrange drivers ensure a smooth frequency transition to the tweeter - ideal for AV/home cinema systems
  • Neatly designed crossovers ensure precise and controlled sound across the entire frequency spectrum
  • The advanced cabinet design provides the perfect environment for the technology built into it, guaranteeing accurate, lifelike sound
  • Four models are available in three luxury finishes: piano black, piano ebony and white satin

• More detailed information about all changes can be found here using google translate:

• Platinum Series 3G | Hi-Fi Speakers | Monitor Audio

I have just found this very information, and as platinum speakers owner, I wanted to start this thread here, but I'm little late.
Anyway, new 3g series is looking all good, till you check out the prices 😱 a little bit on crazy side I must say..

I have just found this very information, and as platinum speakers owner, I wanted to start this thread here, but I'm little late.
Anyway, new 3g series is looking all good, till you check out the prices 😱 a little bit on crazy side I must say..
Yeah thinking the same thing, but glad to see the price of the pl100mk2 coming down.

Yeah thinking the same thing, but glad to see the price of the pl100mk2 coming down.
Yep I am seriously tempted to replace my Gold 100’s now with the mk2 pl100’s…

Go for it 😜 for monitor audio owners, platinum is the target 👍🏻 I had silvers, tried gold, and settled on platinum

With you being used to the sound of the golds it makes sense

Go for it 😜 for monitor audio owners, platinum is the target 👍🏻 I had silvers, tried gold, and settled on platinum
Is the step up from golds a big step up or just a slight improvement?

Demo of the mk2 PL100’s booked for Thursday :rolleyes:

Demo of the mk2 PL100’s booked for Thursday :rolleyes:
I’ve been interested in buying these but stock availability has been an issue last few months. Suppose that will be double so now.

Well two hours before my demo they called and said they don’t have any available to demo, not impressed! They had all week to realise that!

Well two hours before my demo they called and said they don’t have any available to demo, not impressed! They had all week to realise that!
Might want to have a look at other retailers that aren't gonna mess you about. That's an absolute p ss take.

Might want to have a look at other retailers that aren't gonna mess you about. That's an absolute p ss take.
I have to take it back, one of the sales team called me back and were very apologetic about the situation. They have offered to let me buy and try at home where I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep them. Obviously a home demo is even better so I’m pleased.

I have to take it back, one of the sales team called me back and were very apologetic about the situation. They have offered to let me buy and try at home where I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep them. Obviously a home demo is even better so I’m pleased.
Good to hear, must've realised they can't do that with customers.👍

Have seen them for £2495 at nintronics. But I bet some others will match n maybe better it.

Have seen them for £2495 at nintronics. But I bet some others will match n maybe better it.
I just bought them from Nintronics this morning along with the PLC150 centre. Other retailers may better the price if they have them in stock, but Nintronics have bought up the remainder of the mk 2 stock from MA so nobody else will be able to get them now.

I just bought them from Nintronics this morning along with the PLC150 centre. Other retailers may better the price if they have them in stock, but Nintronics have bought up the remainder of the mk 2 stock from MA so nobody else will be able to get them now.
That was a bit sneaky of them.
Hope you enjoy them, wouldn't mind a quick review on what you think if you can.

That was a bit sneaky of them.
Hope you enjoy them, wouldn't mind a quick review on what you think if you can.
I’m not sure I would use the word sneaky, if I were an audio business and seen an opportunity like that I would be all over it too :D

Yes I will post my thoughts after I have them set up and calibrated. It will be a comparison against the current 5g Gold 100’s.

At the moment I’m expecting the upgrade in SQ to be quite conservative, subtle almost. When I moved from Silvers to Gold I found the jump in SQ wasn’t nearly as big as I was expecting, but the MPD tweeter was certainly easier on the ears than the Silvers alloy tweeter, which I found to be fatiguing after listening to music for an hour. With the Golds I can listen for hours on end and they sound really really good, so I’m excited to hear what further improvements the Platinums bring.

I’m not sure I would use the word sneaky, if I were an audio business and seen an opportunity like that I would be all over it too :D

Yes I will post my thoughts after I have them set up and calibrated. It will be a comparison against the current 5g Gold 100’s.

At the moment I’m expecting the upgrade in SQ to be quite conservative, subtle almost. When I moved from Silvers to Gold I found the jump in SQ wasn’t nearly as big as I was expecting, but the MPD tweeter was certainly easier on the ears than the Silvers alloy tweeter, which I found to be fatiguing after listening to music for an hour. With the Golds I can listen for hours on end and they sound really really good, so I’m excited to hear what further improvements the Platinums bring.
Yeah to be honest I'd buy them all up to, although I did think I'd seen someone else discount them as well but can't seem to find whoever that was.
Am feeling a tad jealous now, and a bit stupid considering I was offered the golds on trial but opted for the elac solanos which should be with me on mon/Tue, I could've had a good sense of what the ma's are all about. Will have to contact nins after this demo (if I don't like them) and see if I can try them out. Just demoed the velas as well n unfortunately weren't for me, but slowly getting there after trying out 6 in the last couple of months lol.

Yeah to be honest I'd buy them all up to, although I did think I'd seen someone else discount them as well but can't seem to find whoever that was.
Am feeling a tad jealous now, and a bit stupid considering I was offered the golds on trial but opted for the elac solanos which should be with me on mon/Tue, I could've had a good sense of what the ma's are all about. Will have to contact nins after this demo (if I don't like them) and see if I can try them out. Just demoed the velas as well n unfortunately weren't for me, but slowly getting there after trying out 6 in the last couple of months lol.
TBH apart from starting off with some budget Q Acoustics, I have only experienced MA speakers at the front of my room. Sometimes I wonder what Dali or Kef would be like, but I like the MA’s so much I kinda don’t care. Having said that, I recently added Arendal 1723s surrounds to my system and I’m impressed with them so far, you could always audition their monitors or bookshelves too?

Where in England are you? If you’re close to the border you’re more than welcome to come and listen to both the Golds and Plats at mine if you can face the journey!

TBH apart from starting off with some budget Q Acoustics, I have only experienced MA speakers at the front of my room. Sometimes I wonder what Dali or Kef would be like, but I like the MA’s so much I kinda don’t care. Having said that, I recently added Arendal 1723s surrounds to my system and I’m impressed with them so far, you could always audition their monitors or bookshelves too?

Where in England are you? If you’re close to the border you’re more than welcome to come and listen to both the Golds and Plats at mine if you can face the journey!
Yeah I'm on q acoustics now, the concept 20's are my first proper speakers and have auditioned concept 30's, ls50 metas, focal 906's, dali rubicon 2's, concept 300's and now the velas. On a subjective note I found the kefs soundstage to narrow so I guess I'm not a coaxial man and found the dalis I bit to much in my room and couldn't turn them up as much as probably needed, plus the tweeter was a bit too tame for my tastes.
The only time I've heard ma's was in the local chippy when I noticed they had some of the bronze 50's in there and I quite liked them to be honest. I think I should've put them up further on my list but being a big speaker I didn't know if they would be too much like the dalis.
You have given me an idea on surrounds though as I'll be looking for them next, but I did avoid the monitors because I'd read they sound best at a higher volume plus the fact of importing and that I might be able to source more locally.
And thanks for the invite, very much appreciated although I'm carless at the mo so long distance has been a struggle recently and Loughboroughs a bit far from the border lol.
Am hoping you've got some food things to say on the plats so I might have some kind of clue of which way to go next👍

Ahh, why not plc350? 🤔😁 I can assure you it is quite better one, and they have them for absolutely great price too. I even spoke to them contemplating swap my plc350 for mk2, but then decided against, due to pl200 stay as they are, so better match.

Ahh, why not plc350? 🤔😁 I can assure you it is quite better one, and they have them for absolutely great price too. I even spoke to them contemplating swap my plc350 for mk2, but then decided against, due to pl200 stay as they are, so better match.
Because it’s £800 more and I don’t have a big room to fill. The 150 has the same size drivers as the 100’s so I’m sure I’ll be more than happy with it.

Because it’s £800 more and I don’t have a big room to fill. The 150 has the same size drivers as the 100’s so I’m sure I’ll be more than happy with it.
Oh, I also am sure it will be great, don't get me wrong, there was no intention of any bad meaning. I was just saying upgrade I did really made sense, and it was previously playing with pl100 and now pl200. Center is just main speaker for home cinema and I would try go best I could on this one. Also, the offer they had on it was purely unbelievable, so I had to chat to confirm 😉

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom