Monitor Audio in-wall/in-ceiling speakers, anyone

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by xsound, Nov 3, 2005.

1. xsound

xsound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have any experience with this line of architectural speaker? I am curious what peoples experiences have been with this line. I find it interesting that they are constructed with the box already. MA wants people to believe this will give sound comparable to their regular speakers. Would appreciate any input.

X

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    must admit im interested to know how they measure up too, i own normal MA speakers, but for the sake of a smaller room if i ever move in to a flat/house where i can rip things up i wouldnt mind knowing how effective they are....

3. xsound

xsound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    **Bump**

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    ...ity bump...

heh..couldnt resist

5. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you thinking of inwall/ceiling for rear/presence speakers, or for main front speakers as well?

If for front as well can you fit the centre directly below your TV, with the side speakers equal distance from TV at or around ear height? If you can't then whatever the individual sonic quality of the speaker, it will not sound right as a set up.

6. hifidave

hifidave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The MA in wall/ in ceiling speakers are excellent i have them fitted in a conservatory wall, with a Rel Sub and they sound Excellent

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i heard the Bronze in-ceilings last night at my local sevenoaks, altho they were above the till area at the back of the shop, not in a demo room, but they still sounded pretty decent.........dunno how well they'd serve as a home cinema setup in the ceiling, but for hifi use say in a kitchen or second room etc they would be quite nice...
    i'd say the Silvers would probably do a lot better as the difference in the cabinet versions are quite obvious (but then again who knows, they might not be much better)
    i get the feeling the Golds may be a little pointless in the ceiling/wall setup compared to the golds in cabinets, again maybe not, but i cant see how using such wonderful driver technology could be used to the best effect without the cabinets......but i may be wrong and they'd sound marvellous...lol

sadly it isnt easy to test them...

what ones do you have btw hifidave?

8. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    mmm...just noticed this thread after posting
    this here and quite like the look of these, although they would blow my budget somewhat...

Anyway - the Bronze versions are rated at max 80w - how safe would I be running two pairs of them on a Yamaha DSP-AX750SE as additional "B" fronts (would sometimes be run on their own - kitchen speakers) and also as the back rears when running in 7.1 surround for the lounge?

The amp is rated as 100w per channel, but I'm guessing (mostly from a point of much ignorance) that (a) this is only when driving the amp quite hard and (b) this is more a theoretical maximum rather than an actuality?

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Your right on both a/b counts, the 100watts per channel means that each individual amp (i.e. each channel) is capable of 100watts, but when all channels are driven the powersupply can't give each amp enough power to get there. Its prety much an industry standard/marketing thing but is comparable arcoss most brands, and the amp will be able to get to about 60-70 w/ch when all are driven, which is more than most people need to be honest.

Running via B and as rears if your taling about using the same speakers in this situatiojn may course problems unless you employ a speaker switch box, these are mainly manual so you gonna have to switch them your self.

I may be mistaken but does the 750 have multiroom? as it may share the multiroom posts with the back rears which would solve the problem, would just have to change the settings in the menu.

10. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hi,

Ah, I think my original posting was a bit confusing in this respect... I intend to have two pairs of these speakers if I went for them : one pair wired from the back surround terminals and a separate pair wired from the "B" additional front terminals i.e. they could all be used at the same time without issue as the amp supports this setup. Unless I'm getting misunderstanding your response (probably :)).

[quickly scans thru' manual] Nope, no mention of multiroom, unfortunately...

mmm...I guess this is where I'm wondering whether I'm covering myself with a set of 80w rated speakers for everything I want them to be used for...

As back surrounds, it sounds like I would be OK from your figures as they would only be in operation in surround mode and hence at 60-70 w/ch (at absolute max). However...using them as additional "front B" speakers in the kitchen too, I can see them being used in two situations (1) both when surround and non-surround is used in the lounge with the existing "A" speakers (i.e. "A+B+surround" and "A+B") and (2) completely on their own in non-surround mode when I just want music in the kitchen but not in the lounge (i.e. "B" only).

With the above in mind, it sounds like the Bronze Monitor Audio's would be fine for situation (1) but not for (2) as there's the potential for getting over their 80w rating if they're just being driven on their own? Or am I just worrying too much about exactly marrying up speaker ratings with quoted amp ratings? Or...something else :) .

Thanks,
    Jon.

11. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    basically, dont turn them up too loud....lol

force the volume up and it'll either clip or blow them.....heh

you'll get decent volume without a problem, but just be careful not to try going too loud (ie dont let someone else touch the volume control at a party...heh)

i listened to a pair of 200w speakers last night on a 500w amp....no probs, just the fact the volume control wouldnt go more than a quarter of the way around before it would be obviously bad news....heh

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    you may find tho it'd just be safer/easier to buy a small stereo amp for them with A+B, usually get something like that fairly cheap from Richer Sounds or Sevenoaks (mebbe £120 or so).......then run a pair of inteconnects from the pre-outs on your surround amp to the inputs on the stereo amp (assuming you have preouts).......ta da :)

13. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hi,

Thanks for the response - a bit more to think about :) .

I do have pre-outs, but I'd rather not have a separate amp if at all possible. So that leaves me, at least initially, considering the "straight" option of additional speakers...

I guess I just want to be sure that you do have to really push an amp rated at 100w to damage 80w rated speakers. I suppose "do you play it loud" is really a value judgement - I don't think I do, but my partner might tell you otherwise :) .

Looking at the Monitor Audio web-site, this FAQ does seem to suggest that the Bronze series would be OK though...

I suppose if the Bronze Monitor Audio's will do for my new B "front" speakers, that leaves the question of what I can "get away with" for the back surrounds if the reality of what my DSP-AX750SE pumps out is a good bit short of 100w. If it is, I'd ideally like to use KEF ci50's. Does that seem reasonable? They're only rated up to 30w, which does seem rather low...

Ta,
    Jon.

14. hifidave

hifidave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the MA GOLD in walls in a conservatory with REL Quake Sub Running with an ARCAM solo the sound is great.

For general info I work for a install company and we fit Hundreds of in wall and in ceiling speakers each year, and as a general rule of thumb we work like this,

Music = B&W/Monitor Audio
    Cinema = M&K

We also fit a lot of on wall speakers from Artcoustic B&W Monitor Audio etc and anyone interested in on wall look out for the new PMC wafers heard them recently best yet, available in Jan ???

If any one wants any further info about any of these ranges send me a private email and i will do my best to help out.

take care

David

15. scargil

scargil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im Thinking of 2 x MS AW151 and 2 x MS AW152 for a 5.1 set up would these be any good with a Canton CD 50 center ???.

And are they just as easy to fit to a block wall compared to a plasterboard one if anyone has fitted in walls let me know.????