Monitor Audio GSW12 replacement.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by T3C, Sep 14, 2016.

1. T3C

T3C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Just wanted to canvas people's thoughts and opinions on a possible replacement for my ageing GSW12 sub.

Will I have to spend nearly as much again as the GSW cost me back in the day to get similar performance?

I like what I hear about the BK P12-300SB or maybe the XXLS400 or there's even the SVS SB-1000 at £450. They all sound like they offer great performance and at quite reasonable cost too. A common quote is that they are all 'fast' and upbeat subs which I have a feeling my current sub isn't partially.

So, my second question is are any of the above likely offer at least as good bass or perhaps even better than the GSW12?

2. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    I would be recommending something like the SVS SB2000 as a minimum replacement really, which should outperform the GSW12.

As for bass quality, I think you'd need to hear it yourself to decide.

3. T3C

T3C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks @davidf

So would any of the ones I mentioned actually be a step backwards or sideways at best?

Okay, what if I started considering spending my money on something like an Anti Mode 8033 instead?

4. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    Sorry, I can't comment on the BK as they sell direct. There's a little difference between the SVS and MA with regards to power, but nothing that you'll really notice.

That'll help you get the most out of your MA, but your MA already has some basic EQ on board if I remember correctly? Having said that, it won't be as good as the Antimode.

I would say an Antimode may be a wiser move, but if you can get a loan of an SB2000, you could try it directly against your own sub and decide for yourself.

5. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    If it helps you I have just bought an Anti-mode and it has made my sub sound so good, sub is a Bk xls200.all I can say I was a bit sceptical but it has certainly given me more oomph but in a controlled way.