Monitor Audio GS 20 sound slightly bright - any impovement possible ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by melkior, Sep 1, 2007.

1. melkior

melkior
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all ,

I just moved recently and in my new house my MA GS 20 sound more bright than before, any of you has tried speakers cables which improve that ? I'm using JPS ultraconductor (biwiring) for all connections, these cables are neutral.
    The room has something to see with this defect (some echo and reverb in the mid-high frequencies), I'll do the necessary for it, but any tip about wiring GS 20 ? I've seen in an old post that the Van Den Hull CS 122 works well with these loudspeakers.

Thanks for any help.

David

2. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    If you have a neutral cable already you may struggle.... Chord Rumour is relatively relaxed in its approach, Signature is even better but in most cases decent speaker cable should add nor remove nothing and it sounds as though you want to remove something..

I assume from your gear that these are running from the Marantz amp, thus you've got a quite "forward/bright" system anyway and it seems as though the new acoustics don't suit.

I would suggest the best approach is to leave the one fixed variable alone, the system, and try to work on room acoustics first... thicker curtains, rugs etc

3. RugbyAl

RugbyAl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    When I added Chord Rumour cable to my system, it definately tamed the treble slightly.

4. co55ie

co55ie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    For stereo purposes ie CD playback being to bright I would try out some QED Silver Spiral interconnects ,These have a nice solid warm sound and will help to take some of the sharp edge out of your Gold Signatures.

I found these worked well with mine.

5. petetherock

petetherock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +340
  6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have moved this thread to the cable forum as it seems to be more suited here.

7. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Silver Spiral!!! They're some of the brightest interconnects i've ever used..... if brightness is the issue, introducing silver in either interconnect or speaker cable is counter productive surely?

8. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Work on the room acoustics as mentioned above. I would leave the cable as it is or try some cheaper alternative methods such as the Van Damme blue series or Cat5 and see if there is any noticable difference.

Personally I heve never heard any difference between QED Silver and standard Longmill cable of the same gauge, hence why i considered trying a cheaper option and concentrating on room acoustics :D

9. Chrisp7091

Chrisp7091

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

I've had similar issues with a bright/harsh sound myself. Using VDH The Clearwater with the centre channel of my home cinema made a big difference. I was quite surprised how much so. CS122 might well have a similar impact.

10. melkior

melkior
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all and thanks for the answers. I mainly use my MA GS 20 with my 2 Pathos classic one in bridged mode ( one Pathos for one main speaker), Center and surround are connected to the Marantz. The Pathos have a very smooth treble. The problem comes from the room and CD player, in RCA mode the Unico CD put slightly forward the medium-treble but in XLR mode it's better. So I use this mode and I put some wool carpet and pieces of furniture around the listening position and it's nearly Ok. I'll look for some panels to put on the wall to absorb the medium frequencies echos. I've seen that Akustar have some nice looking foam panels. Any of you have some experience and could suggest some good suppliers ?