1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio GR60 - anyone got them?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Nick Odgers, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have got a pair of Monitor Audio 703PMC speakers with a KEF 30B subwoofer, amp is Arcam FMJA32. The GR 60`s have had great reviews, but it is difficult to hear them down in Cornwall; has anyone heard/got them, and would I still need subwoofer?

2. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi
    I take it you are using them just for music? with the A32.
    If so i would try the GR20's they do work really well with that amp, the GR60's work well but i would try the GR20 as well, i found that it had a better grip on the 20 as opposed to the 60.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    A good friend of mine has a pair. They are indeed a fine speaker but would certainly benefit from bi-amping. I've never heard them with Arcam equipment so as to how they'd sound I don't know.
    The speaker itself is solidly built, big and heavy. There's a big difference between these and the GR20's. I didn't think the GR20's were all that in the mid and bass department but the 60's certainly make up for it. They benefit from plenty of air around them and need to be away from rear walls and corners.
    Musically they are a more refined version of the S10's smoother treble, more transparent mid range and tighter bass. They are very good alround speakers. I did find the speakers to be a little 'slow' sometimes.
    They sound there best when they are driven by an amp that has not only plenty of power but the ability to deliver it quickly and smoothly (Voltage swing) In short they're a reference speaker that really need matching to a reference amplifier. Adding a power amp to your integrated would certainly benefit the MA 60's. They don't have the same brightness as the silver series which in my mind is a plus. It's still there but not as pronounced.

If you're considering spending £2500 on a set of speakers I seriously suggest you take a trip 'Up country' to have a listen. In that price range there is a lot of competition.
    Other contenders would be the Focal JMLAB 926s and the one that beat them all IMHO PMC OB1.
    HTH

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Oh and with the right amplification I would say you could lose the Sub.

5. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Definitely. I had a Rel Q100E which was outclassed by the GR60s. Sold it and got an SVS PC Ultra, which has a bass output that is just plain bonkers.

The '60s are powered by an Arcam A85 and P85. There are three pairs of binding posts, first powers the tweeter, second the midrange and third the pair of bass drivers. You could tri-amp them if you wanted to but I have settled for powering the tweeter and midrange with the A85 and the bass with the P85. I actually have another P85 for rear speaker duties which I could use for test purposes but I'm afraid to hook it up to the fronts in case I like it too much :)

I would say there is quite a bit of upgrade "headroom" with these speakers ie I would need to upgrade the amps if I ever want them to realise their potential. That's part of the fun though.

As regards sound quality, ditto to everything Knightshade says. Great "presence" with these speakers.

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,009
    No respectable AV setup should be without a sub (a reasonable one:) )

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Do we know it's an AV setup?

8. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i have gr20s. i looked at the 60s long and hard but decided i would need better amplification to do them justice. the gr20s however are a great speaker, the gr60s in your system would need more grunt for them to sound any better imo.

9. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Many thanks for all the advice, I have picked up a pair ex-dem from Sevenoaks Hi-Fi for £1899, listening to Kind of Blue at the moment and they are blowing me away! Sub not needed, but will probably have to get power amp next year to bi-amp them.

10. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Congrats Nick. What colour did you get (don't say Gold :laugh: )?

Enjoy
    Fergus

11. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No, Cherry!!

12. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Well Done Nick,
    Good Choice

13. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally have a pair of the GR20's in gloss black. In the labs ( http://www.thereviewcenter.net ) we have all of the Gold Ref series speakers, the GR60's are different speakers in their own right. Bass and mids are so much better controlled. Only amp I have found to power them right is the Musical Fidelity kW with kWP, oh and they are 1,000WPC. The kW500's may work ok, but all MF equipment sound harsh and bright as hell with MA's.

Look for a power amp with at least 500W+ with a lot of current IMHO. 250W from testing just doesn't cut it on the GR60's.