1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio Gr20's & Denon 3805?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Headspun, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Headspun

Headspun
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am about to set up a 5.1 system. Considering Gr20's with Gold in wall centre, gold in ceilings rear + REL storm 5 Sub. I am constrained by marriage as to how many pieces of exposed equipment, I am allowed.
    My question is, will a Denon AVR-3805 be suitable to drive this speaker set up, (I am only allowed one amp for similar reasons)?

2. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I can't answer your question completely, but i have a 3802 and some GR20's (currently hooked up to a Arcam FMJ A32 amp).

I would assume the 3802 is going to be very similar to the 3805.

I will hook them up tonight, and see how they sound.

I am not expecting much though. I think the GR20's will be far too good for the 3802, but you never know.

3. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The GR20s outclass the 3805, good though it is. It will sound fine but you wont be getting anywhere near the performance of which they are capable. Having recently done a 4 way test of AV receivers around this price point, the Denon was the least musical. Next came the Arcam 250, then the Arcam 300 and top buy some margin was the Rotel. However, if you want a top notch, reasonably future-proofed one box solution for the monitor audios, look at the Denon AVC - A11XV, featured on the home page of this website.

4. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Okay it wasn't a fair fight, i compared my FMJ A32 amp and Cyrus Disk/Dac Master CD player against the 3802 + 2800mk2 dvd player.

I was stunned how bad the 3802/2800mk2 combo where. The music was just a mess, with no bass and blurred midrange. I think the GR20's are just a step to far.

Sorry to insult and denon lovers.

5. Headspun

Headspun
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks very much Stevos for taking the time out to test the Denon.
    However, Pat was correct in guessing that I need a "one box solution" for the MA's (Mrs Headspun has issued guidelines!!!). I may have to resort to considering the AVC-A11XV, although I will have to look under a lot of cushions to find the extra cash..

6. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    You will probably get better results from cheaper speakers.

7. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Am I right in thinking that the 3805 can bi-amp the front channels. This might vastly improve the sound.

8. Headspun

Headspun
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yea you can, but there is a "hum" issue.

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    There is a workaround to get it to do this but as Headspun has mentioned there are noise issues. How about trying the Arcam AVR250 or AVR300 which can biamp the front channels easily. These two receivers wouold be you best budget choice but would still be underspecced for getting the most out of the GR series.

To give you an example of the sort of setup I would recommend below is a system I am about to install for a customer shortly which also uses the GR series:

Monitor Audio GR10
    Monitor Audio GR Centre
    Monitor Audio GRFX
    REL Stadium 3
    Arcam FMJ DV29
    Arcam FMJ AV8
    Arcam FMJ P7

This is the sort of system that will fully exploit the capabities of the loudspeaker system, particularly in a room about 15' by 15'.

10. Headspun

Headspun
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks a lot Crusty, only piece of equipment you forgot to mention was a new wife, preferably from Stepford.
    Unfortunately I have to operate within the contstraints mentioned above.

11. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Headspun,

Consider looking at some of the 'older' reference AV amps - HK AVR8500 Denon KAVA1SE and Pioneer AX10i. These are all older monster amps that 2nd hand can be found anywhere from £500 to £1200. These generally will have more power (at higher current levels) than the 3805 (don't read too much into papaer specifications - they are just that) that will drive your new speakers with ease (the HK for instance can muster over 85amps over its 5 channels :eek: the tradeoff is that it gets fairly hot). These models may lack some of the newer amps features (the pioneer is the most advanced here, but do you really need them), but they will more than make up for it in quality of surround sound processing, and stereo performance (the HK for instance is an exceptional performer in stereo).

Cheers

Joust

12. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

13. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just to add the new 3806 can bi-amp with no hum as you re-assign the amps in the menu itself. Plus it also has the Audyessy system for room EQ etc.

Just make sure you listen to your option first to make sure you get the ones you like.

14. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    1. The GRFX although rated at 100 Watts are rear speakers and as such required to do a lot less work than the front three. I should also point out that most speaker damage is done by driving them too hard with an amplifier that does not have enough power. If kept under control even a 500 Watt amplifer would be quite safe driving the GRFX. I would also recommend setting the GRFX as small speakers in the AV amp's settings to make sure not too much low frequency information is sent to them.

2. Subwoofers are a very subjective area. The level of subwoofer required is very dependant on the room size it is going to be used in. We use a REL Stadium 3 in our larger demo room which is approx 7m by 4m. You will find lots of recommendations for subwoofer in the relevant forum section. Being a REL dealer my preference is towards that brand. I currently use a REL Stentor 3 at home in a room about 4.5m by 3.5 and it works well.

3. The Arcam FMJ components are far more likely to help you achieve the full potential of the MA Gold series. The AVR300 although good is not really up to the job of driving your current speakers at their best.

4. You're welcome for the firmware updates. Let me know if there is anyhting else I can help you with.

15. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    dunno what your total budget would be, but the new Primare minimalist looking surround amp is fantastic with the GR range, tested it the other night in my local sevenoaks.......obviously things improved dramatically when just the fronts were connected to MF's KW500 stereo amp...but then at around double the price you'd expect it...lol

i think the Primare was somewhere around £1600 tho if i remember right so might not be perfect, but its very very wife friendly in looks...

edit: checked 7oaks website, assuming its the same Primare the price is around £1600 not £2,000 as my post originaly said....