1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio GR20

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Icarus, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am smitten. I heard these at my dealers and thought they were good but not that good, however the dealer then biamped them (Arcam AVR300) and WOW, loads better.

I am borrowing them for the weekend later today and wondered if anybody could give some advice regarding positioning, I have never had floor standing speakers before, oh and these will be used as front mains.

If it helps, the lounge is 12ft wide x 20ft long and these will against the 12 ft wall with nothing except the TV and equipment rack for company.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    HI Icarus,
    I found it best to stand them a good 1 1/2 feet away from the back wall (If you can) well away from corners and a slight 'toe in' on both speakers. They don't seem to be as sensitive to boomy base as the Silver series (Front venting and cabinet construction helps to negate this) the soundstage is best if they are about 6-8 feet apart. I found they were best with shortish speaker cable runs (less than 3 metres a side)
    They do take a long time to break in. (200 - 400 hours) The book says less but keep listening and you'll see what I mean.
    What are you using as centre and rear speakers?

Have fun

3. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

>What are you using as centre and rear speakers?

Well... at the mo I have Monitor Radius 180 centre and Raduis 90 rears but may consider a matching GR centre at some point in the future.

4. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I love these speakers.

I had a pair and reluctantly had to replace them as the bass was too much for my room size.

I would suggest not placing them too close to the wall.You may be ok as your room is slightly larger than mine.If the bass is too powerful then try the sponge plugs in the port holes.

I replaced mine with the baby brothers - the GR10s.These still pack a punch too and retain the tonal quality i love about the GR20s.

I hope the GR20s are suitable for your room but consider the GR10s if the bass is too much.

I also have mine connected to an AVR300.

I was so impressed with the GR speakers that i bought a GR Centre too!!!

5. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard the GR10's first and they were very very good against my 12 year old Acoustic Energy AE1 mk 1's they were a massive improvement, but I hankered after more base and heard the GR20's. All this was single wired and TBH I thought them so so and not worth it, I asked for them to be bi-amped (the dealer was a little reluctant at first) but having wired it all up to the AVR300 the difference was HUGE!

Do you have yours bi-amped?

How much is the centre speaker and is it good? :)

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    If you can afford it definatly BI-Amp. The difference (as you know) is massive.
    I found it opened the speakers up and improved the sound stage considerably. Bass response was markedly better. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the tendency towards (To my ear) a slightly bright treble. This was less noticable when the speakers were bi-amped. Just not quite as good as the PMC FB1.
    All in all a very nice speaker. They look great and sound good. They do need breathing space though.
    I don't know how good the centre is but I'd say it would definatly be worth getting one on demo.

Have fun