1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

monitor audio GR20 too bass heavy for my room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by zamwessell, May 16, 2004.

1. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I have a pair of Monitor Audio GR20 speakers.

I think they are fantastic but they are just too powerful in the bass department for the size of room i have.

I was thinking of replacing them with maybe one of the Monitor Audio Silver series floorstanders or maybe the new B&W 704 pair.

Any thoughts ?

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The 704s would be less bassy. I assume you have tried moving them away from the wall and plugging any ports? (I can't remember if the GR20 has any)

I haven't tried the sliver series but I did demo the 703, 704 and GR20 back to back.

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you like the sound of what you've got apart from the bass issues i'd go for the GR10
    if they must be floorstanders the s5 are excellent speakers without an overbearing bass.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Bass heavy..........are you sure thats whats wrong, its usually the other way round? Usually what is described as excess bass, is really bass bloom, this is symtomatic of room resonance and not the speaker itself. Try moving them away from the room boundaries, if they stand on a suspended wooden floor try putting a paving slab underneath. Floorstanders can produce bass at lower frequencies than the average standmount and this excites the room and if the speakers are mounted in a certain place you end up with a resonant node, like the standing wave in an organ pipe, most of this can be tuned out by careful positioning.