1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio Gold Center, Good match with Sivler line?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ximen, May 31, 2005.

1. ximen

ximen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have silver 9i as main, silver 10i as center and silver 3i as rear. I am thinking of upgreding 10i center to gold reference center since I believe the center is most important speaker. My question: Is the gold center matching with other silver line speaker? Is it going to improve the whole system performance? Thanks for any input.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Your best bet is to get one on loan and try it at home. I suspect the Gold centre will sound very good with vocals, but also a bit different to the front Silvers during sound pans left/right.

Whether you can tell the difference can only be discovered in a home demo.

3. 5ergo

5ergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Id buy Silver center from new series.I think tweeters should be better in GR series though.

4. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Wise move Ximen - the Silver 10i is a terrible speaker - boxy, shut-in, coloured and chuffy.

Sold mine after a few dreadful months - glad to see the back of it!

5. ximen

ximen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you think the gold center will match well with other silver line speakers?

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Don't know to be honest Ximen - I've never heard it. Can't be worse than the 10i though :rolleyes:

DT

7. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Gold Centre (with GR20s and GRFX) and it is wonderful. Alvin Gold (I've found his opinions trustworthy over many years) thinks so too - check out the MA Gold review with a search from the ads at the top of the Speakers forum.

Can't say how well it would match with non-Gold speakers - I would imagine that it would nullify some of their defects, since a high proportion of HT sound comes through the centre. But that's a non-expert layman speaking - intuition isn't always right in this game!

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You will have a similar sound, The old S series and GR series sounded very similar. The gold just having a bit more control over bass and a fuller mid range. They all have the metal tweeter so you will have the continuity of sound.
    However, I don't know how a centre will sound matched with silver fronts. Probably similar, but possibly not similar enough. Home demo would be the best bet if you can.