1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio Gold, B&W S3 or other

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Colin Parker, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Colin Parker

Colin Parker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've got £2500 to spend on a speaker system. Thinking of MA Golds at the moment, but not 100% sure yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Col.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Colin,

I had a listen the the MA GR20'S today as i was listening to the new CYRUS DAC and there is only one word for these speakers superb :smashin:
    Obviously this was in a HIFI only setup but they do the GR range for AV aswell and i can only assume they would be just as stunning :cool:

BTW: The MA gold series speakers are in a completely different class to the B&W speakers that you mentioned

John :)

3. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dynaudio Audience 52 x 4 with a Dyn 122c Centre Please a Rel Strata 5 should come in well under budget and be pretty close to as good as it gets in that price range

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    PMC would be worth a look, it may take you slightly over budget though but I think it would be worth it.

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I must say, I demoed the MA Gold centre a couple of months ago and, to be honest, I was very dissapointed. The scene I played was the whitehouse bit at the start of Xmen 2. In this scene there is lots of music and action against which dialogue must be heard. The Gold centre was the worst of four centres I heard, the others being M&K 851, Ruark Dialogue II, Epos M8. The first two were auditioned at the same shop alongside the MA Gold, partnered to the Arcam AV8/P7 combo. The MA didn't have the clarity of the others, dialogue seeming muffled and shut in. The best was the M&K, very closely followed by the Ruark.

As for reccomendations, this all depends on what kind of sound you are after, and the room they are to go in. Do you prefer a bright pacy sound with lots of detail, or a more relaxed musical one with a more full bass? Does you're budget need to cover a sub, and would you prefer a standmount front LR or floorstanders. Is the room a small one, or can there be lots of space behind the front speakers. Also, what is the partnering equipment? It would be foolish to partner a mid range amp with a brace of M&K's as there may not be enough grunt to power them corectly.

Russell

6. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    i moved from M&Ks to MA GR av setup. the sound is not as bright (wether that is good or bad is up to your personal tastes). mid range is much better, i listen to a lot of music and the full range setup is preferred to me. personally, i much prefer the MA GR20s and centre to the 125 M&Ks i had, but i did have reservations at first. they take a while to run in and if the dealer does not demo them often, would need to left on to warm up a bit first. your budget of £2500 would get you the speakers but not enough for a sub, any decent av system needs a sub imo, its worth bearing in mind. on a final note, it might be worth listening to the 700 range from B&W, i dont like them personally but they are reviewed well by all the mags.

7. Colin Parker

Colin Parker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have a listen to all suggestions. Any suggestions for well stocked places to audition in London?

8. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I compared the MA GR10s and the B&W 705s and went for the 705s. They were more detailed and focussed to my ears, although the rest of my kit is quite warm sounding so they may not suit all set-ups.