Scott F

Hi All,

Looking to upgrade my speakers to the Monitor Audio Golds. My main quesiton is, if I was to upgrade, would my Denon AVR-X4400H and the CA60 be good enough to drive them and for me to get good audio quality out of them? Or should I look at upgrading my Amp/AV receiver first?

Currently running a 7.2.4

Denon AVR-X4400H
Cambridge Audio CA60
Monitor Audio 6 AV12
Monitor Audio FX (Back surrounds)
Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC (x 4)
Dual SVS PC-2000 Pro

Thanks all.

Marshall Mike

Personally I would upgrade the speakers first. Amps will come and go but the speakers should last years and you will notice a difference in SQ.

Side note, but how are you finding the CP-CT380IDC’s? They are top of my list for when I add in ceiling speakers.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Yep - you've got a pretty nice setup with the electronics. The Gold speakers will last you a lifetime - so get them in and enjoy them then look at the electronics next :) Let me know if I can help you with the Gold's - we're a Monitor Audio Platinum dealer :)

Scott F

Personally I would upgrade the speakers first. Amps will come and go but the speakers should last years and you will notice a difference in SQ.

Side note, but how are you finding the CP-CT380IDC’s? They are top of my list for when I add in ceiling speakers.

Sounds like upgrading the speakers are the best option.

I've only watched a number of films with them so far, but I am really impressed. During the bath tube scene on a Quoet Place, it definitely felt like the monster was above me. Now, I can only compared them to SVS Prime Elevation speakers. Although it was still a good setup, the CP-CT380IDC's are a big upgrade.

Last edited:

Scott F

Yep - you've got a pretty nice setup with the electronics. The Gold speakers will last you a lifetime - so get them in and enjoy them then look at the electronics next :) Let me know if I can help you with the Gold's - we're a Monitor Audio Platinum dealer :)
Thanks! I'll certainly consider you when I am ready to purchase.

One question, would it be a bad idea to upgrade the centre first? Meaning, would it match enough with the Silver series?

Marshall Mike

One question, would it be a bad idea to upgrade the centre first? Meaning, would it match enough with the Silver series?
When I upgraded from silvers 8’s, I bought the gold 100’s first and used my silver centre for a short while, and it was fine. Then when I sold my silver 8’s the chap bought the silver centre at the same time so I ran 4.1 for a while until I could afford the gold centre. Again this was fine with the 100’s creating a phantom centre. The golds were just so pleasant to listen to with both music and movies that I didn’t mind the wait.

What I have yet to do though is replace the silver fx surrounds. I’m keen to try tripole so I’m thinking of matching the gold fronts with Arendal 1723s surrounds, rather than the gold fx. Thanks for the feedback on the ceiling speakers :)

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor

You can always upgrade in a modular way - you'll hear a somewhat of a difference when it comes to clarity in the dialogue and centre-focussed action scenes will be perhaps more "at you" without the balance of the left/right but it'll not sound terrible that's for sure :)

Scott F

I recently had a listen to the Gold's, they're amazing! But, it's really unfortunate that they don't do a black oak version. I guess it thought it wouldn't be a premium finish? Because it's for a cinema setup, I went to avoid any gloss finishes, and the ebony and dark walnut won't look right in the room. I know its a step down from the Gold's, but I am now looking into the Silver Series 7G. One question about the surrounds, would the 50 or 100s be better choice than the Fx option?

Scott F

When I upgraded from silvers 8’s, I bought the gold 100’s first and used my silver centre for a short while, and it was fine. Then when I sold my silver 8’s the chap bought the silver centre at the same time so I ran 4.1 for a while until I could afford the gold centre. Again this was fine with the 100’s creating a phantom centre. The golds were just so pleasant to listen to with both music and movies that I didn’t mind the wait.

What I have yet to do though is replace the silver fx surrounds. I’m keen to try tripole so I’m thinking of matching the gold fronts with Arendal 1723s surrounds, rather than the gold fx. Thanks for the feedback on the ceiling speakers :)

I was looking into the Arendal 1723s, they do look impressive! For me to fit the centre in my setup, I would have to either increase the height of the wall mounted TV or get a new media cabinet.

I've heard the 7G are a good improvement over the previous version, so I would hope it's a pretty good step up from my old Silver 6 and others in that range.

keithl

Standard Member
I recently had a listen to the Gold's, they're amazing! But, it's really unfortunate that they don't do a black oak version. I guess it thought it wouldn't be a premium finish? Because it's for a cinema setup, I went to avoid any gloss finishes, and the ebony and dark walnut won't look right in the room. I know its a step down from the Gold's, but I am now looking into the Silver Series 7G. One question about the surrounds, would the 50 or 100s be better choice than the Fx option?

As a side note I have been auditioning Silver 500 7G and Gold 300 for a few weeks now. I brought my own media and kept doing an A/B for a few hours each time. Here in the US the Gold 300 is 3X the price of the Silver 500 7G. Granted moving up the product line I understand 3X in price does not get you 3X in performance gains and I really like the Gold 300, just not 3X as much. To me the Silver highs were a tad more harsh and metallic and the Gold was a tad laid back. The Gold lows dig deeper. To me the sonic differences were really close, which really says a lot about how good the 7G Silver 500 is. If you look at the measurements on the Silver 500 it is as flat as flat can be for near perfect linearity. Also the distortion numbers are also impressive. The finesse of the ribbon is very impressive. To me if I had to summary the differences it would be that both are phenomenal speakers, the Silver is probably more for someone they does mostly home theater with some music and the Gold the other way around with someone that has more importance on music but still has home the rather chops.

Marshall Mike

As a side note I have been auditioning Silver 500 7G and Gold 300 for a few weeks now. I brought my own media and kept doing an A/B for a few hours each time. Here in the US the Gold 300 is 3X the price of the Silver 500 7G. Granted moving up the product line I understand 3X in price does not get you 3X in performance gains and I really like the Gold 300, just not 3X as much. To me the Silver highs were a tad more harsh and metallic and the Gold was a tad laid back. The Gold lows dig deeper. To me the sonic differences were really close, which really says a lot about how good the 7G Silver 500 is. If you look at the measurements on the Silver 500 it is as flat as flat can be for near perfect linearity. Also the distortion numbers are also impressive. The finesse of the ribbon is very impressive. To me if I had to summary the differences it would be that both are phenomenal speakers, the Silver is probably more for someone they does mostly home theater with some music and the Gold the other way around with someone that has more importance on music but still has home the rather chops.
But which one are you going to buy? :)

It was music performance that made me switch from silver to Gold, the silvers were just too harsh sounding in the treble.

keithl

Standard Member
But which one are you going to buy? :)

It was music performance that made me switch from silver to Gold, the silvers were just too harsh sounding in the treble.

That has been my feeling the Silvers especially when A/B with Gold are a bit harsh on the top end, very metallic sounding. I want the Gold and if I can find a good discount on them I would go that path otherwise probably Arendale as I have yet to seen anyone say they are unhappy. And several reviews point out they seem to be musical as well. The Silver reminds me too much of my current Klipsch although the Silver is much more linear.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom