Monitor Audio Gold 5.1 5g or 4g?

forfit

Novice Member
Hi. I'm thinking about choosing between 4th and 5th generation of the 5.1 Monitor Audio Gold. I found many opinions that 200 5g Monitors are much better than 4g and in general they are great speakers. However, I can't find opinions about the central c250 speaker, subwoofer w12 and rear fx. The question is whether there is such a difference between 5g and 4g for the c250, w12 and fx. And compared to the rest of the competition, are the c250, w12 and fx worth their price? I want them to be the speakers from the set, because I like the ebony piano finish very much, although I would like to buy something good. Somewhere I read an opinion that e.g. subwoofers audio monitor are weaker than the competition.
Look forward to feedback.
Greg.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
What has been reported by some US members is the C350 is noticeably better than C250 (4th gen) in direct comparison (no suprise really) so if you go with the older one then try to get that larger 3-way center channel as it`s one of the most important channel for movies anyway. New 5th Gen range has bit lower but deeper center channel which seems to be similar to C350 otherwise. So if size is issue then the new range looks more intresting. As for the speakers there may be some youtube comparisons of 4th and 5th gen. I do remember there is some reported difference, but not night and day so i think it will come down also how much cheaper you can get the old range. Also some people prefer the look of the older range. We will look the speakers daily for many years to come so many things will count.

The subwoofers will be weaker when compared to models from dedicated manufacturer. In music based system they should work wonderfully though! You end up paying little more for the finish and small size factor. The old version (W15) has 15" driver in sealed cab. The new one has 12" active driver and two passive radiators. Both have subwoofer eq with mic so you should get them sound great in room. It´s likely that if you haven´t heard anything better and you don`t have large size room you will be fine. Placement is key as with any subwoofer and adding second may be costly if you want to do that later on. There is clear benefits for dual woofers, not just more bass. Many articles about it if you search.

Clearly you want to go listen them if possible. What i can say is they look like peace of art after seeing them in my local hifi store. And exactly in that finish you are considering. If you have local MA dealer please go demo them, no need to buy anything. And keep us posted of your findings! :)

forfit

Novice Member
What has been reported by some US members is the C350 is noticeably better than C250 (4th gen) in direct comparison (no suprise really) so if you go with the older one then try to get that larger 3-way center channel as it`s one of the most important channel for movies anyway. New 5th Gen range has bit lower but deeper center channel which seems to be similar to C350 otherwise. So if size is issue then the new range looks more intresting. As for the speakers there may be some youtube comparisons of 4th and 5th gen. I do remember there is some reported difference, but not night and day so i think it will come down also how much cheaper you can get the old range. Also some people prefer the look of the older range. We will look the speakers daily for many years to come so many things will count.

The subwoofers will be weaker when compared to models from dedicated manufacturer. In music based system they should work wonderfully though! You end up paying little more for the finish and small size factor. The old version (W15) has 15" driver in sealed cab. The new one has 12" active driver and two passive radiators. Both have subwoofer eq with mic so you should get them sound great in room. It´s likely that if you haven´t heard anything better and you don`t have large size room you will be fine. Placement is key as with any subwoofer and adding second may be costly if you want to do that later on. There is clear benefits for dual woofers, not just more bass. Many articles about it if you search.

Clearly you want to go listen them if possible. What i can say is they look like peace of art after seeing them in my local hifi store. And exactly in that finish you are considering. If you have local MA dealer please go demo them, no need to buy anything. And keep us posted of your findings! :)

Thanks for the answer. There are only 200 and 100 tests on youtube. No reviews of subwoofer, central and fx. I don't mean the price, just that I like the 4th generation look more, they are more slender and considering the look I would choose 4g. But I've heard that 200 in 5g are definitely better than those in 4g and it's worth choosing them. I've also heard very good reviews of the old c350. I also read that fx in 4g are heavier and better than those 5g. But only some casual opinions in sales offers, so I don't know whether to believe them, because 5g must be better than the previous one. While out of 200 there is a possibility to listen to the rest of the 5.1 set, unfortunately there is no such possibility. Thanks again for the opinion.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the answer. There are only 200 and 100 tests on youtube. No reviews of subwoofer, central and fx. I don't mean the price, just that I like the 4th generation look more, they are more slender and considering the look I would choose 4g. But I've heard that 200 in 5g are definitely better than those in 4g and it's worth choosing them. I've also heard very good reviews of the old c350. I also read that fx in 4g are heavier and better than those 5g. But only some casual opinions in sales offers, so I don't know whether to believe them, because 5g must be better than the previous one. While out of 200 there is a possibility to listen to the rest of the 5.1 set, unfortunately there is no such possibility. Thanks again for the opinion.

I would be less concerned of the surround channel differences. They are still very good speakers for effects no doubt about that. If you can find 4th gen range still with the C350 it sounds that could be the way to go as you prefer them look wise. This is so important factor and it can come back haunting you later on if you aren´t 100% happy for the purchase. Sure the main thing would be to listen the G200 first to find out do you even like the MA sound with ribbon tweeters.

There is few reviews where the W15 was used with Gold 300 systems and they loved it! Sure we can get you better performing sub in gloss black for similar price, but it´s likely to be larger and not as good looking. The one review said: I’d imagine it reaches single figures in Hz and with tight DSP EQ control, it feels as if there is no limit in depth. It easily pressurised my entire room. Clearly it depends what you come from and also what size of space you are trying to fill.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom