Quantcast

Monitor Audio Gold 100 Standmount Speaker Review & Comments

Jules

Distinguished Member
Its been 20 years or so since I studied audio engineering, but if my memory serves me well the larger radiating area of the tweeter will reduce the size of the dispersion pattern (the two are inversely proportional), making the sweet spot narrow?

Some manufacturers like to put waveguides in front of their tweeters (e.g. KEF) to help, so I can't help feeling this design from Monitor Audio with a pretty large, unconventional tweeter will need very careful placement.

Abacus

Nice Review, but you forgot to emphasize that most of the new Gold series have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, (Rather than the usual 6 or 8 ohms) which will cause problems for a lot of amplifiers when pushed, as unless you really spend the money the power supplies in a lot of amplifiers fall short of what is needed.

Bill

Jules

Distinguished Member
Nice Review, but you forgot to emphasize that most of the new Gold series have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, (Rather than the usual 6 or 8 ohms) which will cause problems for a lot of amplifiers when pushed, as unless you really spend the money the power supplies in a lot of amplifiers fall short of what is needed.

Bill
I've always considered the impedance ratings of speakers to be rather meaningless, since its a number they measure at 1Khz. A poorly designed speaker may be 8Ohms at 1Khz, but have an impedance that fluctuates all over the place above and below that frequency... maybe down to 2Ohms or less.

It might say 4 Ohms, but it could be a much easier load on your amplifier than a speaker that's rated at 8 Ohms in the spec sheet.

Goodmane

I'm still happy with the simple or classic looks of my Monitor Audio Silver 6 package. At the time, the Golds were arguably even nicer - if a little showier- but with the benefit a ribbon tweeter.

Some aspects of the new Gold range are aesthetically less pleasing to me. I don't really like the prominent logo at the bottom, and I strongly dislike the tweeter design with it's silver plate and seemingly random drill holes. Whatever it sounds like, I think I would have to keep the grilles on. That said, with the grilles on, I like the look of the new Gold 200s.

Rockets

These do sound like quite a good option for the price bracket they slot into.

Nice to hear the bungs for the ports actually work well in these models - often it's a case of yes it improves bass problems but at the detriment of the overall sound.

Here is the thing though would it not of been a better idea to restrict the bass port design from the outset? They are small(ish) stand mount speakers whose more likely position is going to be closer to the wall.

handyroberts

Novice Member
Hi Ed, Great review as always. I know you said you are holding off giving out a best-in-class badge until you have heard all contenders in the category. Assuming you have the Kef R3 on your list, would be interesting to know how they compare. Having recently upgraded to an SN2 your reviews using this amp are always a bonus as I had assumed MA speakers were a no-go based on past comments on forums re how they play with Naim gear. Thanks again.

Lakemontrob

Novice Member
These are great speakers. I completely agree with the review. I was recently in hifi buys in atlanta (a great reincarnation of the old hifi buys from the 80s bought out by Tweeter) listening to the new kef R5, ma silver 300 and a few other floorstanders. the gold 100s were in the same listening room so i asked to listen. They went home with me. My listening room is large and i have to put spkrs close to wall, problematic for most spkrs. Bottom line, these fill the room with great sound. I would describe them as completely transparent and neutral. I have compared them in the same room to three other highly rated standmounters that i own, wharfedale jade three, b and w cmsix and polk lsims. Ma golds win hands down.

worms

Novice Member
Thank you for reviewing these speakers.
I'm thinking about switching from Silver 100, to Gold 100, I must necessarily compare them at home.
I would like to know with which amps do you connect Gold 100?
At the moment I have Denon PMA1520AE, I think about change.

daddy999

I recently purchased a set of Gold 100 speakers in Piano Ebony and got the MA stands thrown in, I have matched them up to a Yamaha as2100 Amplifier and clearaudio concept MM turntable, I am happy to report, they sound absolutely fantastic, even at “normal“ listening levels, oh, and I am happy to report they can indeed “rock“ when the mood takes me! They look great in the lounge, even the wife is happy, the sound is smooth and insightful, nice bass but not too much as to “colour“ the music.

I’m sure there are many speakers that offer “more”, but, in the world of hifi and dare I say, diminishing returns, these offer truly outstanding value for money.

Final thought; I bought my first pair of Monitor Audio speakers over 30 years ago and loved them, those speakers may have long since gone (courtesy of a scumbag burglar) but, luckily for me, the company hasn’t. Bravo Monitor Audio.

indus

Distinguished Member
I think there comes a time when mainstream speaker manufacturers have to do something to deal with bass issues. Having to put bungs in is a compromise and the speaker is no longer performing to its full potential.

I had exactly the same experience with my MA PL300s. Those never even came with bungs because as MA said the speaker wasn't designed to be used with them.

I suspected the PL300s were capable of great things and so persevered by using room correction. I'm glad I did and though I have them very close to boundaries in an acoustically challenged room them sound pretty darned good.

Most people in the UK don't have room sizes that allow big distances from all boundary walls. Higher end speakers should come with some basic bass correction, like some subs do. I know Kii and D and D do but all decent speakers should.

Rockets

I think there comes a time when mainstream speaker manufacturers have to do something to deal with bass issues. Having to put bungs in is a compromise and the speaker is no longer performing to its full potential.

I had exactly the same experience with my MA PL300s. Those never even came with bungs because as MA said the speaker wasn't designed to be used with them.

I suspected the PL300s were capable of great things and so persevered by using room correction. I'm glad I did and though I have them very close to boundaries in an acoustically challenged room them sound pretty darned good.

Most people in the UK don't have room sizes that allow big distances from all boundary walls. Higher end speakers should come with some basic bass correction, like some subs do. I know Kii and D and D do but all decent speakers should.
Yes speaker manufacturers could do a little more in speaker design to make the speakers easier to position up to a point.

BUT the big point is far too many people buy speakers which are just frankly totally incompatible with a room.

If you have a small room where you pack large speakers into corners or near rear walls it is never going to work.
All that you can do in that situation is comprise the speaker by putting a tonne of room correction on.

It's not the speakers manufacturers problem if people buy speakers which clearly don't suit the room.

BUT they will happily take your money if you are intent on buying them, who can blame them.

indus

Distinguished Member
Yes speaker manufacturers could do a little more in speaker design to make the speakers easier to position up to a point.

BUT the big point is far too many people buy speakers which are just frankly totally incompatible with a room.

If you have a small room where you pack large speakers into corners or near rear walls it is never going to work.
All that you can do in that situation is comprise the speaker by putting a tonne of room correction on.

It's not the speakers manufacturers problem if people buy speakers which clearly don't suit the room.

BUT they will happily take your money if you are intent on buying them, who can blame them.

Many people buy speakers that are incompatible with their rooms because there are very few speakers that are actually compatible with UK rooms.
The average (and above average) UK buyer just doesn't have the space to suitably place mid/large speakers. That means the only suitable choice is to buy tiny speakers with no bass output. Hardly a result.

And I disagree that all room correction compromises the speaker. Good quality RC like Trinnov does quite the opposite, it actually allows the speaker's true qualities to shine through. It also doesn't usually require a 'tonne of correction'. Just some gentle work under 200hz usually does the trick.

Marshall Mike

Will these be a good upgrade from Silver 8 floorstanders? I was looking at the Gold 200 but I have a small room and think these may be more sensible. Will be ran from an Anthem AVR using room correction with a sub to support.

Jefke13

They need about 400 hours to get going and then you Don, t need the bungs anymore. In fact they lose a bit of magic when you use them. Just leave them out. When they are at their fullest potential these are amazing speakers with great full bass but not boomy at all

Smallboydanger

Novice Member
Thank you for reviewing these speakers.
I'm thinking about switching from Silver 100, to Gold 100, I must necessarily compare them at home.
I would like to know with which amps do you connect Gold 100?
At the moment I have Denon PMA1520AE, I think about change.
I am thinking of buying the silver 100 or gold 100, did you switch to the Gold 100?

daddy999

I am thinking of buying the silver 100 or gold 100, did you switch to the Gold 100?
I demo’d both when I purchased last summer, the Gold 100 5th gen are better at everything compared to the silver, you can hear it easily when demo’d side by side as I did. mind you, the silvers are bloody good too!

The Gold‘s have an amazing control on bass, never flabby, treble is smooth, never bright or harsh, mids, beautifully clear and precise, and, they look amazing in the piano ebony. I would definitely recommend the MA matching stands, they bolt down solid, look good, (no blu tack needed), and, they can be positioned fairly close to a wall, I don’t use the supplied bungs and have no issues.

I tried a lot of speakers before buying, some upwards of £5k! Were they better than the MA’s, some were, some were not, but were any worth the extra upwards to £3k? not for me they weren’t and I couldn’t be happier with my choice. Good luck with whatever you choose,

Jefke13

The gold 100 is a completely different speaker from the silver 100, at the moment the new gold 100 is probably the most complete speaker at this pricepoint, its great with a lot of music, even rock and older pop that sounds thin

Smallboydanger

Novice Member
The gold 100 is a completely different speaker from the silver 100, at the moment the new gold 100 is probably the most complete speaker at this pricepoint, its great with a lot of music, even rock and older pop that sounds thin
You are making me want them even more.
They will be replacing this
Mordaunt short mezzo 8 big floorstanders

Attachments

Jefke13

quite the change indeed, you will not miss to much bass, they are very well balanced speakers, the silvers are a bit lighter but they are also excellent, like the gold more because of the fuller sound that works with almost every kind of music

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
how often do has a new gold range been launched in the past.. could there be a 6th generation within 12-18 months time?
Wouldn't surprise me. It seems like the GR and GS range were around for a long time compared to the later 3 versions.

Edit: It seems GS and GX were around for about 5 years and Gold 4G for around 4 according to MA's website.

password1

Are the GR 2nd generation, GS 3rd or still 2nd as the GS is basically a tweaked version of the GR, not all new. GX 3rd generation?

In the same way that Mission called their tweaked versions i or se but same generation. e.g. Mission 780 and 780se, same generation but tweaked. GS are a tweaked version of the GR., they're basically the same speaker which i believe included minor cosmetic/sonic changes, not a complete redesign. logo on top, slightly rounded cabinet corners.

Last edited:

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Are the GR 2nd generation, GS 3rd or still 2nd as the GS is basically a tweaked version of the GR, not all new. GX 3rd generation?

In the same way that Mission called their tweaked versions i or se but same generation. e.g. Mission 780 and 780se, same generation but tweaked. GS are a tweaked version of the GR., they're basically the same speaker which i believe included minor cosmetic/sonic changes, not a complete redesign. logo on top, slightly rounded cabinet corners.
GR are first generation although I think many years before there were some unrelated MA speakers that used the term Gold. Very late GR models in gloss black and gloss silver also had the rounded cabinet corners similar to GS. The GR series had originally replaced MA's old flagship Studio series and weren't related to the really old 'Gold' models that sometimes crop up on ebay. GR's were then replaced with GS which were very similar to GR's and around that sort of time they introduced the new high end Platinum range. The GS was then replaced by GX which were quite different and I think the first to use the ribbon tweeter that filtered down from the Platinum range. After that came 'Gold' (4G) and then finally what they call Gold 5G which are the current ones.

Trending threads

Latest News

Samsung Onyx cinema LED screen opens in Australia
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney CEO Bob Iger steps down
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Quantum Dot development could mean cheaper displays
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix launches daily top ten rankings