1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio FXI

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by garylloyd, Dec 7, 2001.

1. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Guys.
    Does any one have a opinions on Monitor Audios FXI rear surrounds?
    In the US they seem highly rated,but I have not read about them here.
    Thanks
    Gary

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Gary

I have 2 pairs, which inevitably means I quite like them so please take my comments with a pinch of salt.

They are very detailed, punchy and match the other Silver speakers very well. Some people find them a bit bright but I think all the Silver speakers are. They need plenty of running in.

I prefer them in bipole mode rather than dipole so maybe if you want a classic THX setup and the other speakers are NOT Silver range then other dipole speakers might be a better bet.

I would suggest a trip to Sevenoaks and ask for a home trial of the FXi's alongside some alternatives (say KEFs, Missions) before buying.

I would strongly recommend you try the same brand for the rears as the front speakers. The bit in Blade at the beginning where he throws the knife-boomerang thing is excellent for this. If the tonal match is good you hear it fly round the room in a solid sound-stage. If the sides/rears don't match the front speakers then it doesn't sound right, it sort of jumps from the back soundstage to the frontstage because the tone changes from the rears to the fronts.

Have fun !

Gary

p.s. the white ones don't look as good as the black ones.

p.p.s use some blue-tak to take off the tweeter grill covers if you buy them - improves the treble dispersion - important for bi/dipoles.....

:D

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Haven't heard them myself but they were reviewed together with some speakers of the Silver range in the HCC supplement of the October (?) issue ... and rated 3 stars if it matters.

4. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi.
    thanks for the advice guys!!
    Are the Missions a contender compared to the FXis?
    In true HC style there low price was puting me off.
    Cool Blade tip.
    Thanks once again.
    Gary