Monitor Audio Controlled Performance - good choice?

Atomicus

Established Member
Reaction score
I've not had much luck tracking down many solid reviews on these, although what I have seen has been positive. I am considering them for a garage conversion, and as sound insulation is a concern, these speakers seem to be ideally suited, with nothing else that really competes? Would they be a good choice, for a 5.1 set-up plus ceiling speakers for Atmos? I am not sure if the lesser models in this range are too much of a compromise vs regular cabinet speakers for similar money. The considerably more expensive CP-IW260X and CP-IW460X are out of my price range really.

Controlled Performance | CI Speakers | Monitor Audio

Yeah, they are all very good for the money.

Which one's are you looking at size wise?

100, 200 or 300 series?

The 260x and 460x are more like floorstanding speakers that fit in the wall hence the price. The 460x also uses a ribbon tweeter.

What are you doing with the woofer, will it be freestanding or in-wall?

I was struggling a bit to see what the benefit was between them all really... any advice would be appreciated. Is it space dependent? The room will not be big, probably around 2.4m wide by 4.8m once the insulated walls are up.

I actually already have a BK P12-300SB-DF sub which will be freestanding, placement as yet to be determined.

Yeah, they are all very good for the money.

Which one's are you looking at size wise?

100, 200 or 300 series?

I can't really see guidelines anywhere on their website or elsewhere as to recommended placement for much of the range, other than one retailer saying WT140/240 is dedicated centre-channel, yet the official site says they are multi-purpose?

Would the CP-WT140LCR (£225) or CP-WT240LCR (£300) be the choice for a centre? Would the CP-WT150 (£180) or CP-WT260 (£250) be left, right and rears? Would the price difference on these be noticeable in respect to performance?

There's a handful of ceiling options to choose from, with the cheapest being the CP-CT150 @ £140 or CP-CT260 @ £200. Would x2 of these as ceiling speakers for Atmos be suitable, and between them is there any significant performance difference justifying the price?

I am trying to keep my budget as cost effective as possible, without spending money on things I probably won't notice the benefit of, as I am no audiophile, but if it's considered senseless and a complete waste to go the effort of constructing a space like this and only have lower end speakers in place that will under-perform, that's not what I want either. As I say, it isn't a big room, but I don't know if that matters. This decision making process is made much harder by the fact I can't go anywhere to listen to these... and even if I could, it wouldn't replicate the end result of the environment I'll be using them in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Any of Monitor Audio Speakers with the LCR tag is an abbreviation for Left, Centre, Right speaker. So where ever you see this tag, it does mean it’s a multi purpose speaker.

If it doesn’t have this tag, then it can be used as a left or right hand speaker.

If you see one with a dual tweeter, single cone driver array, then this is a single stereo speaker and not to be confused by rear FX speaker which are slightly different in configuration

I hope this helps you understand Monitor Audio’s speaker abbreviations

Thank you for the clarification! :)

So would you typically see the CP-WT140LCR or CP-WT240LCR in an all LCR config, or would you often just have one as centre channel, and the CP-WT150 or CP-WT260 as left and right... or would they typically be your rears/sides?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what dictates that choice of one config vs the other, while also factoring in the price difference? Does it come down to the size of the space, what you're listening to, or simply how much of an audiophile you are?

The price difference isn't massive either way, ranging between £950 for the WT140LCR centre and WT150 elsewhere, vs £1400 with WT240LCR as left, centre, right, and WT260 as rears.

Are the cheaper CP-CT150 ceiling speakers adequate for Atmos, or would the more expensive CP-CT260 be a far better choice, or even the 300 series models?

Last edited:
Hi, I know the thread is a bit old but did you buy any CP speakers? I'm doing the same, I want to install 5.1 with two atmos ceiling speakers and am looking at the cp in wall range for the fronts. Don't know what fr L/ R and centre to buy.

Did you demo any of them? Reviews are virtual none existant and im not sure where you can get demos.

I like the idea generally but considering the silver series has so many good reviews its difficult to put these into perspective. Even searching in AvF doesnt show much.

Did you demo any of them? Reviews are virtual none existant and im not sure where you can get demos.

I like the idea generally but considering the silver series has so many good reviews its difficult to put these into perspective. Even searching in AvF doesnt show much.
Any news yet about this issue? I am struggling with the same questions.

No I gave up in the end and built my own backboxes and used a pair of Dynaudio P4-C65. Very happy with the result.

No I gave up in the end and built my own backboxes and used a pair of Dynaudio P4-C65. Very happy with the result.
Thx for the FB! So you use ceiling speakers al L and R speakers? Do you know if they are available with a square grill? Any suggestions for building the back boxes?

Thx for the FB! So you use ceiling speakers al L and R speakers? Do you know if they are available with a square grill? Any suggestions for building the back boxes?

My ceiling speakers are atmos. I used a combination of ply and some heavy density rubber, and LOTS of acoustic sealant.

I didn't take too many pictures of the construction, as just a basic box really, made to fit between my ceiling joists, but a few below.

Once up, I filled in some of the empty space with insulation and cut out the circles in the OSB.

IMG_3925.JPEG

IMG_3926.JPEG

IMG_3929.JPEG

IMG_4619.jpeg

IMG_4622.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom