Question Monitor Audio BX6 + _________

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by oHUTCHYo, Jun 12, 2015.

1. oHUTCHYo

oHUTCHYo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Guys,

I wasn't planning on buying my equipment just yet but just managed to get an unbelievable deal on a new pair of Monitor Audio BX6 floorstanders :thumbsup:

I plan for my new 5.1 build to be primarily used for home-cinema and gaming, with music only accounting for a very small proportion of overall usage.

So, questions...

1. The BX6 are rated at 150 watts. In terms of a suitable AV receiver, I like the look of the new Sony STRDN1060, which is rated at 165 x 7 (6 ohms), would this be a suitable pairing? if not, what is your suggestion based on circa £400-£600.
    2. I appear to have two options for rears - Bronze BXFX (£199) or BX2 (£200). The BXFX, to a layman like me, appear to be a better choice for home cinema with their directional audio. This is versus the BX2 which appear to be traditional front facing bookshelf speakers. Am I correct in saying the BXFX would be the better choice?
    3. For the sake of complete assurance from you, the experts, I plan on a BXW10 subwoofer and a BX centre speaker. Any feedback?
    4. The most idiotic question last - do the rear speakers include the stands or not? :facepalm:
    Thanks chaps :)

2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    The choice of which would be best depends upon your room layout and where you would be seating within it. Do you have any pictures or a rough sketch of the position of everything?

I'd agree with matching your other speakers to the same range, I think it's marginally more important to match the centre to your main speakers, matching rears are still desirable but not as important IMO.

The sub I'm not at all bothered about being from the same range, it depends how much the matching sub would cost but suggest you'd probably get better for the same money, possibly by going for a BK Electronics sub.

3. oHUTCHYo

oHUTCHYo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Jamie, room plan below...

[​IMG]

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    I'd run the speakers in the room for a bit to ensure where they work best is going to work with your room layout.

Being full range and rear ported they may require a bit of space between the rear of the cabinet and the rear wall!

Remember too for Movies you will set the AVR to small when running them within a 5.1 array.

Joe

5. oHUTCHYo

oHUTCHYo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Joe. I've just gone ahead and ordered the BXW10 subwoofer. Just need to decide on the rears, get the centre and finally, pick an AV receiver.