• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

monitor audio bx5 and yamaha as500 amp??

D

dstyler

Hi All, i am new to this and looking for any advice, thanks.

i have a panasonic vt20and a 3d blu ray panasonic bdt110

i now want to add a bit more omph to the set up. i am looking at ma bx5 and yamaha as500 amp. it is not important for me to future proof with an av amp and all the additional features they come with.

what i want is a stereo fronted by the blur ray for 65/70% of the time and a bit more when it comes to watching films. does this set up makes sense or do you think there are other alternatives out there. i do not want 5.1 but i may go to 2.1 with the ma bxw10 sub. my room is 15x15 and well furnished.

Overall i want a really good stereo, i know that some might say i need to change or add the to bdt110, but at the moment i am sticking with it as i am trying to keep to as little equipment as poss.

How will this all sound, has anybody heard or have someting similar to it.

Many thanks

Dean

placenta

Standard Member
i can tell you 80W x 2 of Yamaha receiver powers my BX5 perfectly. I think they are rated 120Wrms max, so the 80 is a real sweet spot. I think that amp is nice, as far as power levels for the speakers go.

Ben Jammin

Established Member
I think they will sound pretty awesome together. The Panny blu ray may be just fine. Plenty of other options which will also sound awesome together. Try and go do some listening yourself and dont pay too much attention to magazines / others opinions, sound is very subjective.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
For me the concern is not the amps and speaker, I expect both of them to play well together. Instead, it is connecting the TV to the Stereo system.

If your TV has analog (meaning not digital) RCA-style Audio Outputs, or Audio Outputs on the SCART connector then you are home free.

If the TV doesn't, then the best course of action is an external DAC (digital to analog converter). Typically priced in the £150 to £250 range, though some popular ones run up around £500.

In my case, HDMI from DVD/BluRay to the TV, my TV has audio out, so directly out to the stereo. Clean and simple.

But, for audio music, I use my DVD for CD playback, I go directly from the analog Audio out of the DVD player to the stereo.

I think the best method is HDMI to the TV, then if no Audio Out, take the Digital Audio Out (usually optical or coaxial) of the TV and feed that out to the DAC, then the DAC analog out to the Stereo.

Just something additional to consider.

Steve/bluewizard

Ben Jammin

Established Member
VT20 has analogue out. It's like my G20 but better and 3D :) Awesome TV. DAC isn't amazing but it does the job for normal TV. I'm making the assumption that the blu ray player has analogue out and he will use that for music/film but i'm not sure on that.

p.s. Kudos to you Dean for going the stereo speaker route for movies, it really is possible to achieve amazing quality for much less than if insisting on surround sound.

Also, just thinking, you could get an even more substantial floorstander with bigger bass drivers to save you needing a sub.

D

dstyler

Hi to all and many thanks for all your replies. Very helpful.

On connections, i was going to do the following:

3D Hdmi from blue ray to tv

RCA from tv to amp

The above route would be used when watching films.

RCA from blue ray to amp (saves having the tv on when listening to music)

The tv has audio left & right RCA PIN TYPE x2 and also Digital Audio Out (PCM/Dolby Digital, Fiber optic). so should hook up to amp. Can i use the digital out?? Would that be better than RCA??

Would love to go for bigger speakers, but i have been told otherwise!!!! So i may just stick with the BX5 and no sub.

Thanks Dean

D

dstyler

One more question. Will i lose any sound when playing blu ray or dvd through this type of system. The reason i say this, if a film is recorded in 5.1 will all that sound be processed in effect to 2.0 by the bluray/tv?? i know i will lose surrond sound as i only have 2 speakers, but i would prefer to not lose any of the audio/soundtrack of the film.

Would there be any advantage to going to an AV amp like the Yammy RXV767 and how close do you think it would compete against the As500 in music quality and films.

Thanks, Dean

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I have a Sony Bravia TV (KDL-32L4000) which has an Audio Out, I play DVD, BluRay, and CD through it, and it sounds fine. Yes, it might sound better with a high quality DAC, but as is, it sounds good. Really good.

BluRay and DVD are thunderous. Music is clear and detailed within the limits of my equipment.

Now, you have to ask yourself what you want. If you want Surround Sound, then there is only one way to get it, and that is with a Surround Sound system.

However, if you want a music system, that is still good for videos, then a stereo system will do an excellent job of it.

Also keep in mind, for a fixed amount of money, you can buy two amps (stereo) and two speakers. The alternative is to take that same amount of money and buy 6 speakers, one of which is very expensive, and seven amps to go with it. Which do you think represents better quality amps and speakers, money spread across two, or the same money spread across six?

Now, connection to an AV amp is better as it has digital inputs. But, your TV also has digital inputs, and seems to have an analog output, and the DAC and analog out, are free.

If this is a reasonably new TV, I would expect the DACs and the Decoding to be good and up to date.

Keep in mind, you can start small and expand as you feel the need. If you feel you need better sound, then add an extrenal DAC at a later date.

As to how this converts 5.1 channel to two channel, I'm not sure about the details, but it works fine for me. I can't see or imagine anything that might be missing from the sound tracks I'm listening to.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Dazzor

Prominent Member
You should find an audio menu on either your bluray player and/or on the bluray disc itself that allows you to select stereo... Effectivly opting for a down mixed version.

IMO, decent stereo should sound much better for films than the same money or even a bit more spent on surround sound.

Adding a sub later could certainly bring an extra dimension to the fore, however, it's not the same as when an AVR sends LFE's to a sub as part of a bass-management system. As said, if you get big enough stereo speakers like floorstanders then maybe a sub won't be needed.

Just some thoughts as I like and have both systems running in my main system ( see sig)

All the best
Darren

Last edited:
D

dstyler

Hi to all, again many thanks for your views.

I have been quoted £400 for the BX5 and £250 for the AS500, would seem a fair price to me, or is this to high, any thoughts. (i can get the 767 av amp for £349, do you think i should rule this combo out as i will not being going to 5.1, to be honest it will stay at 2.0, would it have the edge on films/tv sound to the as500, but be lesser when compared to the music side. If that is the case how far behind would the as500 sound to it on films/tv.)

Also thinking of running chord/qed speaker cable at about £6 per metre, cable will be about 10ft max. with banana plugs, is it worth bi wiring? Or will a good quality cable suffice.

Also, what RCA leads would you suggest, gold plated, what sort of price would be sensible at this level of equipment.

Thanks for all your help and advice, Dean

placenta

Standard Member
Hi to all, again many thanks for your views.

I have been quoted £400 for the BX5 and £250 for the AS500, would seem a fair price to me, or is this to high, any thoughts. (i can get the 767 av amp for £349, do you think i should rule this combo out as i will not being going to 5.1, to be honest it will stay at 2.0, would it have the edge on films/tv sound to the as500, but be lesser when compared to the music side. If that is the case how far behind would the as500 sound to it on films/tv.)

Also thinking of running chord/qed speaker cable at about £6 per metre, cable will be about 10ft max. with banana plugs, is it worth bi wiring? Or will a good quality cable suffice.

Also, what RCA leads would you suggest, gold plated, what sort of price would be sensible at this level of equipment.

Thanks for all your help and advice, Dean

is that Euros or British pounds?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
1.) ...quoted £400 for the BX5 and £250 for the AS500...

Both those prices are about £50 LESS (450 + 295) than the standard selling price, so very good prices indeed.

2.) ...is it worth bi wiring?

Think about what bi-wiring does. It simply moves that terminal jumper from a 2 inch strip of metal (I've replaced mine with short ring terminal speaker wires) back to the amp and the equivalent of a 10 foot long jumper wire. And the advantage of this is ...????

3.) ...what RCA leads would you suggest, gold plated...

Definitely gold plated, but don't get too carried away. You want quality cables, but not so expensive that you start to sacrifice your equipment in favor of wire. This is the example I use to illustrate the point. Which do you think sound better, a £500 stereo with £500 worth of wire and cable, or a £900 stereo with £100 worth of cable and wire? It would seem to me the £900 stereo would win.

So really it is what your budget will allow, but keep it reasonably in proportion to the overall cost of your system. Most recommend about 10% (roughly) for wire and cable, though that is not etched in stone.

Steve/bluewizard

philvella

Established Member
I have been quoted £400 for the BX5 and £250 for the AS500, would seem a fair price to me,

I am looking at the same system - can I ask where you got this price?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom