Monitor Audio BX5.1

stealth80

Standard Member
Hi all, seems my sub from my BX5.1 set up has wrapped itself. I have an additional pair of bipoles and some atmos for 9.1, but the sub has started popping when it powers on.

I'm gonna need to repair or replace, but figured I would ask here if anyone knows of a better replacement or if I should just stick with the MA sub and get it repaired/replaced?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi all, seems my sub from my BX5.1 set up has wrapped itself. I have an additional pair of bipoles and some atmos for 9.1, but the sub has started popping when it powers on.

I'm gonna need to repair or replace, but figured I would ask here if anyone knows of a better replacement or if I should just stick with the MA sub and get it repaired/replaced?
I assume you have this one: BXW10

Replace it if possible cause the MA amps cost almost same as new sub from certain company! How much would be the budget for new sub if you would be putting some extra to get a real upgrade?

How large room you got with possible openings?

Is the sub used mainly for movies/series or more of fifty/fifty for HT/music?

stealth80

Standard Member
I assume you have this one: BXW10

Replace it if possible cause the MA amps cost almost same as new sub from certain company! How much would be the budget for new sub if you would be putting some extra to get a real upgrade?

How large room you got with possible openings?

Is the sub used mainly for movies/series or more of fifty/fifty for HT/music?
Hi thanks.

Room is roughly 4m by 8m wide, TV middle of long wall. Only used for Movies

stealth80

Standard Member
Do you live in apartment (neighbours to worry) or detached house?

How much you could spend?
End terrace, I have neighbours yes. I figure my max would be £500 considering the whole package was 1800

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
End terrace, I have neighbours yes. I figure my max would be £500 considering the whole package was 1800

Ok fairly large room then. The most popular 500£ sub currently is the Monoprice 10 THX followed by the one of the most sold 500$ sub around the world SVS PB1000. Both are very similar in performance and while they have "only" 10" driver they will wipe the floors with most speaker manufacturer subs that has 12" driver. Both comes with 5year amp warranty. Some comparisons have done in US forum and the Monoprice could be slightly better (port noise when pushed very loud).

Ton of reviews if you google..

Finally you have the fully UK made BK Electronics subs. Direct to customer business model. 2year amp warranty and not as modern technology used as in the first two. However example the Monolith has been quite damn popular since early 2000 and it won`t leave you cold with action/scifi/horror/war stuff when placed optimally. You can choose front firing or down firing which has same performance, but notice the different cabinet dimensions (taller vs deeper). Scroll down to see the small pictures and you can click on those to see the finish you prefer.

They also have the smaller P12-PR if you can´t get the Monolith past wife. The price is same to Monolith basically, but you will lose in performance naturally (50l vs. 95litre ported cabinet). You can click the pictures larger to see the finishes at bottom.

Go through those and tell your thoughts.

Last edited:

stealth80

Standard Member
Ok fairly large room then. The most popular 500£ sub currently is the Monoprice 10 THX followed by the one of the most sold 500$ sub around the world SVS PB1000. Both are very similar in performance and while they have "only" 10" driver they will wipe the floors with most speaker manufacturer subs that has 12" driver. Both comes with 5year amp warranty. Some comparisons have done in US forum and the Monoprice could be slightly better (port noise when pushed very loud).

Ton of reviews if you google..

Finally you have the fully UK made BK Electronics subs. Direct to customer business model. 2year amp warranty and not as modern technology used as in the first two. However example the Monolith has been quite damn popular since early 2000 and it won`t leave you cold with action/scifi/horror/war stuff when placed optimally. You can choose front firing or down firing which has same performance, but notice the different cabinet dimensions (taller vs deeper). Scroll down to see the small pictures and you can click on those to see the finish you prefer.

They also have the smaller P12-PR if you can´t get the Monolith past wife. The price is same to Monolith basically, but you will lose in performance naturally (50l vs. 95litre ported cabinet). You can click the pictures larger to see the finishes at bottom.

Go through those and tell your thoughts.
Very comprehensive thank you

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom