• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Monitor Audio BX2's Room??

JordanTaylor94

Novice Member
Hi Guys!

I have a little "man cave" in my house quick question though as i am unsure how to solve to issue.

the room is 3mx3m and has wooden floor put down and i have acoustic foam tiles on the front and back walls (infront of me and behind me) I have my MA BX2's hooked up to my computer with a cambridge audio dac magic 100 via sdif optical and powered by a cambridge audio A1 amp.

the problem is, is when i'm listen to music certain bass frequencies like howl? for example if i listen to a song called rain by the cult. i dont know how to describe it really its like boomy, echo'y bass vibration like VOOOOH on the notes if i stand up i dont hear it! i have the tweeters ear level and the speakers are sitting on acoustic isolation foam. the speakers are about 1ft away from the rear wall and about 1.5m apart..

any ideas on how to fix this? would getting the room carpeted with decent thick underlay help or is it just a mater of the room being small? :S if so is there any fix? more tiles?

if you need any more info please ask as its driving me mad now lol..

Thanks in advance!

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Where are the speakers positioned and on what? Eg, shelf, desk, etc.
Have you tried another position?
Placing them in corners can cause booming, so if this is the case try moving them in a bit if space allows.

JordanTaylor94

Novice Member
Hi,

Where are the speakers positioned and on what? Eg, shelf, desk, etc.
Have you tried another position?
Placing them in corners can cause booming, so if this is the case try moving them in a bit if space allows.
They are on a big office desk on top of the isolation pads and if i move them a bit closer will they not be to close together? i will post a picture when i get home from work but do you reckon some bass traps would work in the corners of the room at least on the back wall where the speakers are?

JordanTaylor94

Novice Member
Here are the photos! been reading and apparently bass traps would do the trick... what do you guys think? its not very bad but its there... that boomyness which just isnt natural sounding.

Attachments

• 20151230_182746.jpg
    20151230_182746.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 101
  • 20151230_182315.jpg
    20151230_182315.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 80

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the pictures. Positioning Looks all good to me. They are away from the corners and have enough space around them and being front ported, they could sit against a wall if need be.

I don't think carpet will help but only add to the problem. If thing were sounding a bit harsh/hollow/bright, then carpet could possibly help.

Is it like this with all or some of the tracks you play?
The room looks to be pretty small. What's the size of it? It's size could be adding to the problem. It also could well be the nature of the beast of h speakers with the particular tracks you are listening to.

Last edited:

JordanTaylor94

Novice Member
Thanks for the pictures. Positioning Looks all good to me. They are away from the corners and have enough space around them and being front ported, they could sit against a wall if need be.

I don't think carpet will help but only add to the problem. If thing were sounding a bit harsh/hollow/bright, then carpet could possibly help.

Is it like this with all or some of the tracks you play?
The room looks to be pretty small. What's the size of it? It's size could be adding to the problem. It also could well be the nature of the beast of h speakers with the particular tracks you are listening to.
Thanks for the reply Don! Hope your having a good night and bringing the new year in with a goodin! Yeah it is a small room which is the problem just unsure how to help the room lol.. And itll happen with all songs if the certian note/frequency is hit.. Not sure which frequency it is... Going to suss that out tomorrow and post it here an example the 3 cords that start metallicas nothing else matter its the first string and thats what gets it ill record it with my condenser mic for you to hear... But going to test my room tomorrow to see what frequencies the room doesnt like and then hopefully a fix for it! Ohh and i do not hesr it if i stand up that boomyness only when level with the speakers.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Happy New year.

By the time you posted, I was already in la la land, stretched out in some abstract position with drool coming from both corners of the mouth. Bound to be some incriminating picture of me taken as well. Damm that Sherry. :D. Hope what I about to type is coherent as I am definitely feeling it.

I understand what you are saying about standing up. I get similar without the boomyness. Bass is heavier when sitting. This to me is standard as the ear is in direct line of the speaker and get the full sound wave coming out.

I've no experience with bass traps but understand what they do. Maybe someone can chime in who has and whether it will be effective in your room.

What's the dimensions of the room?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom