Monitor audio Bronze vs Silver FX

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Sgoaty, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Sgoaty

Sgoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Im looking for a set of bi pole surrounds I dont want to spend much more than £200

Ive come across an old set of Silvers SFX from 2003 for £170 delivered.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other option is a new set of Bronze FX for £250 ish.
    [​IMG]
    Im leaning towards the old silvers because of the bigger driver but i wanted to get some opinions before I buy
    Thanks
    Scott

2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    Damn those are old. Still quite pricey. Ex-demo Silver FX 379£/pair, but over your budget. With finance you could get them, but i understand if that`s too much. These are 2013 Silver FX`s, of course only used in demoes so driven in;
    Ex Display Monitor Audio Silver FX Surround Speakers (pair) in Black Oak | Vickers HiFi

Here is white Bronze FX`s 180£/pair; Monitor Audio Bronze FX surround speakers | in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire | Gumtree

The new Bronze FX has bipole/dipole switch, not sure is it on the Silver S FX.

You can always put wanted add to classifieds section here if you can`t find FX`s on sale here (they are very popular!); Speaker, Subwoofer & Soundbar Classifieds

3. Sgoaty

Sgoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks for the reply. I couldn't really justify spending that much on surrounds.

I was going to bid on a set of bronze FX on eBay that ended this afternoon they were display models as new in the box and they went for just under £170 posted.

I just wondered If the silvers might be better even though they are older as for one thing they're made in England and I very much doubt the new bronze models are.

4. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    I noticed the bid, sad to hear you missed it. What are your other speakers?

Although new Bronze isn`t made in UK, it has taken again some things from the Silver serie and new upgraded higher quality audio crossover parts (one review checked them and were impressed). There is interview with the Bronze serie designer somewhere and it really gave you a feeling that they are trying to put every £ to get better sound, not just look good. If they were still build in England, they would do more compromises with the important parts if trying to keep the selling price same.

I found specs for the SFX;

Sfx- Drive Unit complement 1 x 6 C-CAM Bass mid-range 2 x 25mm Gold Dome C-CAM tweeter . Weight - ~ 9 lbs. Frequency Response 60Hz-22 KHz Sensitivity ([email protected]) 89 dB Maximum SPL (per pair) 107dB Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms

Bronze FX;
    Frequency Response
    65 Hz — 30 kHz

Sensitivity ([email protected])
    88 dB

Maximum SPL
    110 dBA (pair)

So although Bronze FX uses smaller mid-bass driver(s) it can play louder. Also the C-Cam tweeter is newer as you can see it reaches higher. Sensitivity is very close match.

Up to you, but 15years old speakers 150£... Little too much and notice this Bronze serie is third version so it has evolved in time. While it might be cheap, you might suprise how great it sounds for the money. I do hope you can visit any MA dealer and listen the FX speakers to be sure. Some would allow you compare Silver FX and Bronze FX too, who knows when you hear the difference maybe you change your mind about paying more, or not. Keep us posted!

5. Sgoaty

Sgoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks for the reply again you've pulled out some good info there.

I did stick in a last minute bid on the bronzes but I wasn't sure if i was doing the right thing so never really went for the win and I was kinda relieved when I didn't get them. Looking at the info you've posted maybe i should have tried a bit harder!

I have KEF Q700 fronts and a Q600 centre and Mission M7DS rear and a BK XXLS400 Down firing sub.

I've only recently upgraded the front 3 speakers and its made me have the itch to do the rears too.
    I would have liked to get KEF rears but I can only find dipole and they are a bit out of my budget anyway.

I didnt want to mess the guy around selling the silvers so I've decided to go for them I've looked at ebay prices and they seem to go for anywhere up to £200 so if I don't like them then I hopefully wouldn't lose much by selling them on.
    I agree with your point on cost though it is a lot for speakers that are so old but it seems to be what they sell for.

I let you know how I get on when they come :)

6. Sgoaty

Sgoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Well I got the silvers installed and despite being very old they sound great. The room seems to be more full of sound during movies. I wasn't a fan of music in multi channel stereo mode with my M7Ds but it sounds great with the silvers.

I'm sure i would have been impressed with the bronze models too but I'm certainly not disappointed with these old beauties.