Monitor Audio Bronze v Radius

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
Hi all

Some advice would be appreciated. Currently I'm running a 5.1 Monitor Audio Radius HD - 90's at the front and rear, a 200 centre and the HD370 sub. AVR is a Denon 3313. Had this set up for around 9 years. It has all served me well but in the process of doing a bit of work to the living room and thinking about the speakers as I would like to beef up the stereo ability (getting back into my vinyl, and turntable into the phono input of the Denon).

Was originally looking at swapping out the two front 90s with the Radius 270s, but then started looking at the new Bronze series (given there is not much in it between the 270s and the Bronze 200.

Have not got a huge amount to play with at the mo, but veering towards swapping out the front and centres for the Bronze 200 and Bronze C150, and then overtime replace sub and rears.

Question is, get the 270s and keep the centre 200, or start the move to the Bronze with the Bronze 200 and C150.

Any thoughts on these? Having read around the forum a bit, it has been suggested that the Radius might be brighter as they are targeted at a slightly different market. But I imagine the Bronze 200, being larger floor standers should give me a marked improvement over the 90s I currently have, especially for stereo music. Also worth bearing in mind the age of my speakers - they don't have the trickle down tech such as the C-CAM that the newer models do.

As much as I would love to replace my AVR now, that has to stay for the time being.

Thanks all!

Rob

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Why not make bigger jump right away and consider MA Silver 50s, same price as Bronze 200? You can still use the Radius sub to give bit of support. Or if you want bit more fuller/stronger low end then the larger Silver 100 used (8" drivers). The earlier Silver 1 would be great option too with some cheap stands. 50£ new or 20£ used i can imagine.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
As the 90's are part of the older Silver generation design, you could also add a better woofer to better complement them as the Radius woofer can be bettered quite a bit. Something like the T5i or T7i would be a good starting point as and this would mean you could leave the speakers inplace. You would use the LFE for standard cinema and the hi-level for stereo. This option would give you a similar sounding speaker to a Silver floorstand without owning one.

Take a look on the Rel website for more information on how to connect. The only downfall on this front is the centre which you could update to one of the silvers at a later date if required

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@RobbySpurs

The HD90 uses MMP-II mid-bass drivers which are used in the cheaper Monitor range. Audio crossover parts in the latest Radius (one after HD Radius you own) were similar to Bronze 5th Gen. The tweeter isn´t or haven´t been used in any Silver range either. Tonally they wanted Radius to differ from Bronze and Silver range as being more lifestyle model where as audiophiles often pick the larger "hifi" models. While the new Bronze 6th Gen is step up from Radius some ways i think you should make a bigger jump if you can. Do it stages, buy mains first and then center channel. The surround sides you can keep what you have now if size matters and perhaps save the extra pair you have for Atmos front heights if you get bitten by it when you swap receiver. For subwoofer you have plenty of choices, but don´t buy anything from MA as there is no need for that.

If Radius 270 was option at 699£ then there is Silver 200 for 750£ as ex demo pair. SSAV has few more finishes as ex-display but at 850£.

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies guys all really useful stuff. Gasp you just answered a question I was typing about the relationship between the Radius 90s and the Silver, especially as mine are the older Radius HD models.

Yep I am totally prepared to upgrade in stages. One of the reasons (and perhaps I should have led with this!) for the change is my Radius are all walnut. The wife is doing up the living room, and walnut is out! So it seemed to be to good an opportunity to pass up under the guise of looking for white speakers.

The main front speakers are perhaps the most important as want to upgrade them for music, perhaps more so than home cinema, and so will take a good look at the Silver range and see if there are any bargains to be had out there.

A sub change is definitely on the cards before we get into new receivers and Atmos speakers...

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Hi @Gasp3621, I always find it funny being corrected on this front as I only reiterate the Monitor Audio training shows. We are always told the Radius is derived from Silver series for quality and input and have been told this every time I have ever been on one, hence why I always quote it. Yes nothing has been used in either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't follow the same quality ethos. I'm not going to argue, but until Monitor Audio mention that the Radius series if from the Bronze series, I shall always quote it as lifestyle Silver when talking about the Radius and I'm guessing you will always correct me :)

@RobbySpurs, if it was my money, I would always go for the Silvers 200's (and @Gasp3621 has found you a pair for a cracking price) over the Radius 270's as I really feel the 270's and the 90's with a good woofer are so much better as you can deliver a better seamless integration :)

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi @Gasp3621, I always find it funny being corrected on this front as I only reiterate the Monitor Audio training shows. We are always told the Radius is derived from Silver series for quality and input and have been told this every time I have ever been on one, hence why I always quote it. Yes nothing has been used in either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't follow the same quality ethos. I'm not going to argue, but until Monitor Audio mention that the Radius series if from the Bronze series, I shall always quote it as lifestyle Silver when talking about the Radius and I'm guessing you will always correct me :)

@RobbySpurs, if it was my money, I would always go for the Silvers 200's (and @Gasp3621 has found you a pair for a cracking price) over the Radius 270's as I really feel the 270's and the 90's with a good woofer are so much better as you can deliver a better seamless integration :)

Maybe they like to tell good stories for dealers so they can sell more. ;) 😆 But yeah i went every tiny detail through with tech side person from Monitor Audio. And there is not a single part better than what was in earlier Bronze range or not similar parts/drivers that would been used in Silver range. The cabinet is of course wood veneer which is similar to Silver, but that is understandable for a lifestyle product and the high price is partly due to that. So we can agree on that front it follows same quality ethos to Silver. :) But technically it can´t be superior to Bronze cause the crossover parts used and driver technology was identical. I`m refering to older Bronze range which was discontinued, the new 6th Gen Bronze is again slightly better with things taken from new Silvers. Hope we see new Radius at some point. Clearly the amount they are being sold isn´t as large as with the traditional hifi ranges so MA doesn´t see it as important to refresh. The same could be said for Apex range.

The Silver 200s is great option cause they are also slim similar to Bronze 200. I can imagine they are very wife/lounge friendly and can work in smaller rooms which few owners have reported already after chats. Jumping from tiny Radius 90s to these should be quite noticeable in many ways and again he would be what i call at the sweet spot in terms of spending money. Cause the next step to Golds will cost lot more and to get the most of them the partnering equipment won`t be cheap!

Hoku

Sorry, joining this party a little late.

I’ve owned MA Radius (R270, R90, Radius One, R250 centre), MA Apex, MA Silver and MA Gold over the years.

Radius cabinet construction is far superior to the Bronze range. Either full many-layered lacque piano finishes or real wood veneers. No vinyl wrapped MDF going on with Radius. I would agree that they are diminutive Silvers in terms of quality.

And strangely I felt the Radius tweeters, IMO obviously, were quite different and better at everything than the Apex tweeters (which on paper had a similar tweeter but was a little lifeless in comparison), and better than the Gold GX50 ribbon tweeters which were a little thin sounding for my tastes and didn’t have the body, substance or indeed the wow factor that the Radius range had.

There were certain movies and music that just sounded so right and had quite a wow factor with the Radius, that was lacking in Apex and Gold. And the midrange too was superior to both.

The R270HD’s weren’t perfect, but for a ‘lifestyle’ product they were a masterpiece and I take my hat off to the engineers who developed them.

PomMarantz

Standard Member
Hi all

Some advice would be appreciated. Currently I'm running a 5.1 Monitor Audio Radius HD - 90's at the front and rear, a 200 centre and the HD370 sub. AVR is a Denon 3313. Had this set up for around 9 years. It has all served me well but in the process of doing a bit of work to the living room and thinking about the speakers as I would like to beef up the stereo ability (getting back into my vinyl, and turntable into the phono input of the Denon).

Was originally looking at swapping out the two front 90s with the Radius 270s, but then started looking at the new Bronze series (given there is not much in it between the 270s and the Bronze 200.

Have not got a huge amount to play with at the mo, but veering towards swapping out the front and centres for the Bronze 200 and Bronze C150, and then overtime replace sub and rears.

Question is, get the 270s and keep the centre 200, or start the move to the Bronze with the Bronze 200 and C150.

Any thoughts on these? Having read around the forum a bit, it has been suggested that the Radius might be brighter as they are targeted at a slightly different market. But I imagine the Bronze 200, being larger floor standers should give me a marked improvement over the 90s I currently have, especially for stereo music. Also worth bearing in mind the age of my speakers - they don't have the trickle down tech such as the C-CAM that the newer models do.

As much as I would love to replace my AVR now, that has to stay for the time being.

Thanks all!

Rob
Hey Rob...
I am in a similar dance as you. Took delivery of 2 Silver 100's (in white), 2 days ago as my main L&R (on stands). System is running on a Marantz SR6015.
I have a Audio Monitor Radius 200 as my center currently, but the timbre and the richness was lacking next to these new mains (although that radius is beautiful and fits in my set-up so nicely!)....I just can't give the space up for a Silver Center speaker, but today I have a Monitor Audio Apex A40 coming to my door. I am running Apex A10's as surrounds in my 5.1 set-up....so hopefully this new center will raise the bar enough so that my reworked system sounds more balanced. I believe that the Apex A40 has the same tweeter and driver tech as my new Silver 100’s. I know that the drivers in the The Radius 200 Center were not the same tech and they are quite small, although it is a very well designed small center speaker...
Hope this all works out! Sounds like you are making good choices with your upgrade.

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hey Rob...
I am in a similar dance as you. Took delivery of 2 Silver 100's (in white), 2 days ago as my main L&R (on stands). System is running on a Marantz SR6015.
I have a Audio Monitor Radius 200 as my center currently, but the timbre and the richness was lacking next to these new mains (although that radius is beautiful and fits in my set-up so nicely!)....I just can't give the space up for a Silver Center speaker, but today I have a Monitor Audio Apex A40 coming to my door. I am running Apex A10's as surrounds in my 5.1 set-up....so hopefully this new center will raise the bar enough so that my reworked system sounds more balanced. I believe that the Apex A40 has the same tweeter and driver tech as my new Silver 100’s. I know the the drivers in the The Radius 200 Center were not the same tech and they are quite small, although it is a very well designed small center speaker...
Hope this all works out! Sounds like you are making good choices with your upgrade.

It isn`t same tweeter on Apex as it was introduced 2010 and the latest Silver range 2017, but the tweeter should be similar quality and tonally closer to Silver range. I would be suprised if there is anything to complain after you have run Audussey so speakers level matched and eq`d. Keep us posted how it sounds.

PomMarantz

Standard Member
It isn`t same tweeter on Apex as it was introduced 2010 and the latest Silver range 2017, but the tweeter should be similar quality and tonally closer to Silver range. I would be suprised if there is anything to complain after you have run Audussey so speakers level matched and eq`d. Keep us posted how it sounds.
Hey Gasp, thanks for that info! (...but the tweeters "look" the same! 😂). I am more concerned that the slightly larger, similar-tech drivers (which actually match my surrounds) are going to be a nice (but costly!) improvement to the Radius 200 drivers, and get me where I want to be. I will get this all set up and report back in a couple of days...Fun stuff!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hey Gasp, thanks for that info! (...but the tweeters "look" the same! 😂). I am more concerned that the slightly larger, similar-tech drivers (which actually match my surrounds) are going to be a nice (but costly!) improvement to the Radius 200 drivers, and get me where I want to be. I will get this all set up and report back in a couple of days...Fun stuff!

Yes the overall size jump with larger and better drivers will make big difference! Run setup and bump up the A40 and Silver 100 crossovers to 80hz as they are probably set lower than that. For A10 anything from 80hz upwards is fine. And i think it goes without saying; get the A40 center channel in as good position as possible (near to seated ear height in free air and not inside av-unit)!

PomMarantz

Standard Member
Yes the overall size jump with larger and better drivers will make big difference! Run setup and bump up the A40 and Silver 100 crossovers to 80hz as they are probably set lower than that. For A10 anything from 80hz upwards is fine. And i think it goes without saying; get the A40 center channel in as good position as possible (near to seated ear height in free air and not inside av-unit)!

Yes!....It is a nice improvement. The A40 is much fuller and matches up with my new Silver 100s.
I am able to return the Radius 200...so its all good. I adjusted the crossovers to 80hz and the sound was fuller!..... Thanks. I temporarily mounted the new speaker onto the fronr of my cabinet...but I do plan to cut out the cabinet and recess the speaker. Are you saying that there is a benefit to having the middle channel hanging out in the wind? I just have to recess it...but could leave an inch or two protruding from the cabinet.... I want the keep some semblance of order in the room...as the speakers have taken over visually...LOL!!! THANKS for the input, Gasp!
Apex U40.jpg
Apex A40 2.jpg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You do what you have to, it`s lounge not dedicated room so there is always some compromises! If it sounds great then keep at it. When you change the location for final time then just run the setup again.. Happy to hear it`s noticeable step up like it should be. You`re not the first reporting that.

What`s next, new subwoofer/receiver/atmos speakers? 😅 Or you done with it and just time to put flick on with bowl of these 🍿😎

PomMarantz

Standard Member
You do what you have to, it`s lounge not dedicated room so there is always some compromises! If it sounds great then keep at it. When you change the location for final time then just run the setup again.. Happy to hear it`s noticeable step up like it should be. You`re not the first reporting that.

What`s next, new subwoofer/receiver/atmos speakers? 😅 Or you done with it and just time to put flick on with bowl of these 🍿😎
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! You make funny joke....”Done”...oh so VERY funny!!!!!
No one who comes to this forum is EVER done..HA...HA...HA...HA..!!!!!!
Yes, I am fabricating 10”x1/4” steel plates with rubber feet to put on my speaker stands today. They are top-heavy right now...and need some base weight. I decided that $500-$700 for stands not in the budget. I splurged for the dedicated stands for my surround speakers.🙃.....then I come home to start hand-cutting my cabinet out and fitting the new center speaker in. Thank God the ports are in the front! 😘
Then I have to paint the stand bases and the cabinet...and I take delivery from Crutchfield of my 4th (if you can believe that) surround speaker and hope that the driver is firing on this one. ($550 speakers? You think that there would be some quality control!!). Fingers crossed 🤞🏼! So I am thinking by Sunday maybe I will have everything together and can run my Audyssey. .. then....
Then I have to get the CD player (which is my Panasonic Blu-Ray DP-UB9000 which is set up with HDMI to play 4K discs), set up. The Blu-Ray player also has a separate DAC inside the unit with balanced analog outs for playing Stereo music out to my Marantz AVR. That is all connected but I have yet to actually figure out the entire sequence of steps to get that playing with Pure Audio. ... Looking forward to it. The I am “Done”!!!! 😂😂😂.... ....so next.....
I would like to get one of those KEF KC62 SubWoofers. VERY expensive....so that will have to wait for a while. I have small space and that little unit packs a punch and is tight and fast. (I currently have an modest Audio Engine Sub that is a bit flabby...if you get my drift. ...and then for now...the only thing I may be interested in would be some kind of music streamer thingy...but I have not researched that at all and know nothing about it at this point.......but if I cannot procure high def music files of some kind ....that will be a no go....I can just put on my headphones and use my phone. :)....we’ll see. Do you use something for streaming music???

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yes, I am fabricating 10”x1/4” steel plates with rubber feet to put on my speaker stands today. They are top-heavy right now...and need some base weight. I decided that $500-$700 for stands not in the budget. I splurged for the dedicated stands for my surround speakers.🙃.....then I come home to start hand-cutting my cabinet out and fitting the new center speaker in. Thank God the ports are in the front! 😘
Then I have to paint the stand bases and the cabinet...and I take delivery from Crutchfield of my 4th (if you can believe that) surround speaker and hope that the driver is firing on this one. ($550 speakers? You think that there would be some quality control!!). Fingers crossed 🤞🏼! So I am thinking by Sunday maybe I will have everything together and can run my Audyssey. .. then....
Then I have to get the CD player (which is my Panasonic Blu-Ray DP-UB9000 which is set up with HDMI to play 4K discs), set up. The Blu-Ray player also has a separate DAC inside the unit with balanced analog outs for playing Stereo music out to my Marantz AVR. That is all connected but I have yet to actually figure out the entire sequence of steps to get that playing with Pure Audio. ... Looking forward to it. The I am “Done”!!!! 😂😂😂.... ....so next.....
I would like to get one of those KEF KC62 SubWoofers. VERY expensive....so that will have to wait for a while. I have small space and that little unit packs a punch and is tight and fast. (I currently have an modest Audio Engine Sub that is a bit flabby...if you get my drift. ...and then for now...the only thing I may be interested in would be some kind of music streamer thingy...but I have not researched that at all and know nothing about it at this point.......but if I cannot procure high def music files of some kind ....that will be a no go....I can just put on my headphones and use my phone. :)....we’ll see. Do you use something for streaming music???

Haha, i know man. Never ending journey.

Do check up the new SVS 3000 Micro. It`s small aswell and should pack a punch without need to rob a bank! As you live in US the prices are better than in UK/Europe (AVF is UK based forum). :)

PomMarantz

Standard Member
OOOOOOh....I did come across that sub in my journey...and also...consistently have seen that their subs get high marks from MANY reviewers.... Thanks...I will consider that more closely.
Also...I found out that my Marantz AVR will be able to accept hi-rez streaming from a place like Tidal...with just acquiring a couple of free apps, pay a monthly $20 fee and have music at my finger tips. Nothing to buy!? Interesting.

PomMarantz

Standard Member
WOW! I just watched this...Joe does an EXTENSIVE comparison of the specs between the SVS Micro and the KEF Micro. The SVS may be actually better...no bigger and you could have two of them for the price of one of the KEFs. Thanks for getting me to look closer!!!!!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yep, i wouldn´t even consider Kefs cause the amp failures in the past and short amp warranty. And SVS is always going to have better aftersale value. SVS support is best in the business and you have the things we don´t have in EU (bill of rights see link). Definitely consider dual sub route if budget allows. We don`t see threads like "i bought dual subs and can´t hear the difference". It´s usually very much the opposite.

PomMarantz

Standard Member
Yep, i wouldn´t even consider Kefs cause the amp failures in the past and short amp warranty. And SVS is always going to have better aftersale value. SVS support is best in the business and you have the things we don´t have in EU (bill of rights see link). Definitely consider dual sub route if budget allows. We don`t see threads like "i bought dual subs and can´t hear the difference". It´s usually very much the opposite.

OK...so...I have questions that I was wondering if you could help me with...? while I was researching the subs I came across this option that is new "to me".
I have a very old KEF Sub and an old Audio Engine sub...they are (I think) only set up to connect via LFE. I see where some powered subs now can be hooked up like a live speaker from the amp, if I am getting this right. I know that the Uber expensive KEF has a super super CRAPPY/CHEAP 4-wire clamps as an option. Is that to get a fuller frequency signal, and where the he’ll do you output from an amp to that connection at the sub? Not sure if the SVS offers that....

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
OK...so...I have questions that I was wondering if you could help me with...? while I was researching the subs I came across this option that is new "to me".
I have a very old KEF Sub and an old Audio Engine sub...they are (I think) only set up to connect via LFE. I see where some powered subs now can be hooked up like a live speaker from the amp, if I am getting this right. I know that the Uber expensive KEF has a super super CRAPPY/CHEAP 4-wire clamps as an option. Is that to get a fuller frequency signal, and where the he’ll do you output from an amp to that connection at the sub? Not sure if the SVS offers that....

Speaker level connection to stereo amps probably. Stick with LFE connection to av-receivers.

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart Start offer grants access to premium TV apps
  • By Andy Bassett