Monitor Audio Bronze FX - DiPole vs BiPole

OldSkoO1

I've had a pair of FX speakers mounted on the rear wall, 30cm's above ear level (I'm using Atmos on the front). The sofa is pushed up to the back wall, so no space behind.

The speakers are about 20-30cms away from the sofa on both sides, so about 2.6m apart and inline with the fronts.

My issue is the left rear is close to a corner and I think I'm getting some dominant reflections from the side wall or sound trapping in the corner. The rears are running in bipole as they are mounted on the rear, I believe this is the recommended option... they are configured with Audyssey and I'm using the reference tone setting too.

I'm thinking of trying to solve the left rear reflection issue without plugging the corner with sound control material. Is running these rears in DiPole a no go?

I've tried them in DiPole but I just don't know how to accurate A/B test it. They seem to be more atmospheric, i.e. more subtle in effect in dipole, but I'm mindful of the fact you are suppose to aim them at each other in this mode, which they aren't, they fire forward.

Does anyone else run the surrounds on the back wall in dipole successfully? I'm only acting on what I've read is best practice but what's confused me is some people who measure this stuff have said, in small rooms, which mine is, dipole can be better. Or should I go back to the recommended bipole. I can't decide what sounds better.

Dean

I've got KEF Q800ds which are dipoles running on the rear walls and they sound excellent. I've put them at least 25 cm away from the side walls to avoid any localization. I wouldn't worry about them firing forwards, quite a few setups have them working well this way.

Pulse1

I've had a pair of FX speakers mounted on the rear wall, 30cm's above ear level (I'm using Atmos on the front). The sofa is pushed up to the back wall, so no space behind.

The speakers are about 20-30cms away from the sofa on both sides, so about 2.6m apart and inline with the fronts.

My issue is the left rear is close to a corner and I think I'm getting some dominant reflections from the side wall or sound trapping in the corner. The rears are running in bipole as they are mounted on the rear, I believe this is the recommended option... they are configured with Audyssey and I'm using the reference tone setting too.

I'm thinking of trying to solve the left rear reflection issue without plugging the corner with sound control material. Is running these rears in DiPole a no go?

I've tried them in DiPole but I just don't know how to accurate A/B test it. They seem to be more atmospheric, i.e. more subtle in effect in dipole, but I'm mindful of the fact you are suppose to aim them at each other in this mode, which they aren't, they fire forward.

Does anyone else run the surrounds on the back wall in dipole successfully? I'm only acting on what I've read is best practice but what's confused me is some people who measure this stuff have said, in small rooms, which mine is, dipole can be better. Or should I go back to the recommended bipole. I can't decide what sounds better.
As you have them on the back wall above and behind you they should be set to Bipole mode, that's how i have mine set. Dipole mode is if they are at the side of your main listening position.

Oswald

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom