Monitor Audio Bronze conundrum

Celticnz

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I am currently in a quandary over choosing between the Monitor Audio Bronze FX or the Bronze 2’s for my surround setup.
I know the FX are made specifically for surround. But I like the aesthetics of the bronze 2’s.
Also there are a pair of bronze 2’s up for sale for 350 NZ dollars In near new condition which is half of the retail price.
I’m wondering if anyone has had any experience or has any sound advice on what is the most suitable option. I will be planning on setting myself up between the two speakers directly and I also have the bronze 6 floor standing speakers plus the bronze centre for matching timbre.
Thanks in advance!

My understanding when looking into this was that with modern object placement sound fields like Atmos you need monopole, so the Bronze 2, rather than speakers to provide a wash of sound like the FX. Monitor Audio advised the same. I went for the Bronze 1s I and haven't regretted it. I'm sure someone with the FX will be along to say the opposite soon!

Hi there, I am currently in a quandary over choosing between the Monitor Audio Bronze FX or the Bronze 2’s for my surround setup.
I know the FX are made specifically for surround. But I like the aesthetics of the bronze 2’s.
Also there are a pair of bronze 2’s up for sale for 350 NZ dollars In near new condition which is half of the retail price.
I’m wondering if anyone has had any experience or has any sound advice on what is the most suitable option. I will be planning on setting myself up between the two speakers directly and I also have the bronze 6 floor standing speakers plus the bronze centre for matching timbre.
Thanks in advance!

Please post pictures of rear room where we can see couch and the rear and side walls!

Will you stick with 5.1 or Atmos system?

My understanding when looking into this was that with modern object placement sound fields like Atmos you need monopole, so the Bronze 2, rather than speakers to provide a wash of sound like the FX. Monitor Audio advised the same. I went for the Bronze 1s I and haven't regretted it. I'm sure someone with the FX will be along to say the opposite soon!

Awesome, thanks for saying this. It makes sense to me that direct sound is more suitable to me. Especially as I’m all about MY listening experience! Haha...
Like I say, I much prefer to have a set of speakers that I love the look of

Please post pictures of rear room where we can see couch and the rear and side walls!

Will you stick with 5.1 or Atmos system?

Hi yes here are some photos. I hope they come through ok.
Let me know if you’d like more photos.
The side speakers are Sony. Sufficient..so better is more suitable.
I’ll be sticking with 5.1 for the near couture as I’m on a 5.1 receiver

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 19BE5728-6531-435B-83B6-45BE783CB130.jpeg
    19BE5728-6531-435B-83B6-45BE783CB130.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 34D802D1-BBBF-4CC4-9EFE-9AA751F8644D.jpeg
    34D802D1-BBBF-4CC4-9EFE-9AA751F8644D.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 4513FB24-B760-46AA-A5C1-BC63024634B7.jpeg
    4513FB24-B760-46AA-A5C1-BC63024634B7.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I think the usual advice is to bring the sofa forwards as much as you can but that might not go down well with the other users of the living room! Before I went for a dedicated room, I pulled the sofa forwards when I was watching something and then put it back afterwards.

Cosmetically I would have thought the FX speakers will look better hanging on the wall behind you above the sofa if you can hide the wires but functionally I would go for the monpole speakers angled inwards.

@Celticnz
The front three are in odd angle, but if it works for the family then no problem. The surround speakers are more aimed toward the one couch though.

You could consider the FX speakers on the rear wall. I had the same walnut LCR and white "rears" with white stands on one larger flat. They blended/disappeared nicely with white walls, wife friendly option if she doesn´t want walnut speakers on wall. I`m not sure is there any stock for the older FX or would you need to buy the new version. If you do go with them, Monitor Audio recommends mounting them 2feet from seated ear height which should also help as you have couch against wall.

Bronze 2s would look quite massive near the couch and there is no specific need for them so if you end up with bookshelf speakers also consider Bronze 1s if you can find them. They would do the job more than fine, although i don`t like that the speakers are so close to listeners, so FXs mounted high up on wall for me but your call.

I think the usual advice is to bring the sofa forwards as much as you can but that might not go down well with the other users of the living room! Before I went for a dedicated room, I pulled the sofa forwards when I was watching something and then put it back afterwards.

Cosmetically I would have thought the FX speakers will look better hanging on the wall behind you above the sofa if you can hide the wires but functionally I would go for the monpole speakers angled inwards.

I love the dedication! Moving the couch is gold!
It would be worth the effort I’m sure.
My lounge is a funny shape.
I was thinking it would be a wall setup with the FX but I’ve got the speaker stands which I like using. I think yes, functionally the monopole speakers are more ideal.

Last edited:
@Celticnz
The front three are in odd angle, but if it works for the family then no problem. The surround speakers are more aimed toward the one couch though.

You could consider the FX speakers on the rear wall. I had the same walnut LCR and white "rears" with white stands on one larger flat. They blended/disappeared nicely with white walls, wife friendly option if she doesn´t want walnut speakers on wall. I`m not sure is there any stock for the older FX or would you need to buy the new version. If you do go with them, Monitor Audio recommends mounting them 2feet from seated ear height which should also help as you have couch against wall.

Bronze 2s would look quite massive near the couch and there is no specific need for them so if you end up with bookshelf speakers also consider Bronze 1s if you can find them. They would do the job more than fine, although i don`t like that the speakers are so close to listeners, so FXs mounted high up on wall for me but your call.

Yes it’s an odd setup as the room is not square. It’s pretty long and narrow. I’ve considered getting rid of the kitchen table to put the couch in front of the tv for better imaging.
Luckily it’s only me in the house using the setup.
I could put the FX wherever I like also. Seeing as it’s only me I can choose whatever configuration I like...I’m also considering that in the future I may have a second sound set up so the bronze 2’s would come in handy. But that may be a fanciful idea.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom