Monitor Audio Bronze Center

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by reingam, Mar 19, 2006.

1. reingam

reingam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi all - 1st post on the forums but have been an observer for a long time and now I need some advice:lease:

Am investing in a new center and am thinking of gettting the MA bronze center - seems to have gotten good reviews. The only thing that's putting me off is the fact that it's a sealed cabinet. Does this make any differnce to the sound quality? I know that there isn't much bass output from the center channel (I'll have the center speaker set to small on my amp - Onkyo 703SE) but a lot of the other speakers in the same price range seem to be rear ported (my second choice is the MS 905c).

Also I've aquired a Mission M7C1 center and was thinking of mounting this as a 6th suround (on the back wall) as part of a 6.1 setup - is this a stoopid thing to do or will it work - I have a small Sony satelllite there at the moment and was thinking of mounting a di-polar if the center won't work.

Thanks in advance for all advice:thumbsup:

2. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi, and welcome.

The MA is a good speaker and the porting like you mention isn't really an issue, as centre's though handling all frequency (unless set to small) still can't produce much bass usually. Unless you pay lots.

My Kef IQ6C is ported but doesn't kick out much air even at high volumes.

You may want to consider you front speakers though, as it can help to match ranges across the front 3. If you look at changing your fronts, the Ma bronze range would be the obvious choice then..

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    lovely speaker, altho if funds/space allow the Silver version is far superior.....

as for porting dont worry, if you set to small around 80hz porting shouldnt do bog all....i guess if play it at reference volumes it could do something to bolster upper bass presence, but i wouldnt have thought a lot........being sealed also means you can put it anywhere, dont worry about it being in an enclosed area :)

4. reingam

reingam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Thanks very much for the replies guys - managed to get a MA silver off richer sounds :D so am well happy with it. Next question is what floor standers will match the center?? I have a pair of Mission M72 at the moment - will these suffice or should I be looking to replace with something better asap?

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    if you want to use them for music as well, get the Silver RS6's....nice powerful floorstanders for music but with agility, and they will give you tonal balance across the front 3 perfectly ( i know as i have that setup..lol)...

or if music isnt so important, save some money and get the RS1's........

just make sure you have a decent amplifier, that can supply good strong nonstop current....these speakers do draw a fair bit of power when cranked up......the RS1's not so much as the RS6's tho obviously......worth a demo tho i reckon, see if the dealer will lend you a pair to try at home so you can compare on your own system, offer to leave a c/card swipe for the full purchase amount, if you dont want them they'll refund it dont worry.....so long as you dont damage their speakers anyhow...lol

6. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    What richers do MA???

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    well, i've never seen them on the website for Richer Sounds, but i'm sure someone once said they bought some from a Richer Sounds in Ireland.....*shrugs*

their main outlets are Sevenoaks in the UK, but plenty other shops do stock them.....

i take it your looking for a bargain?...heh

you'll normally find the shop will take off a bit for you or chuck in some cables anyhow, but even if they dont, at full value most MA speakers are worth the money in my opinion....

but then i like the MA sound so i guess i would say that...lol

edit: just seen the OP got them from Richer Sounds....which store??

8. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    T hat is what i meant.Will MA go with rotel 1075?

9. reingam

reingam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Yeah Richer Sounds in Belfast is where I picked up the MA silver - apparantly they can bring in stock from England to Ireland so I presume it works the other way round

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    RS in england dont have demo rooms now (possibly one or two still do, but i think they are phasing them all out).....so MA shouldnt allow them to stock their gear.....dunno about in Ireland........if your RS has demo rooms and is keeping them then they might have got a ok to sell from MA....if not then they are just buying them themselves and selling them on but not as a registered dealer (in other words you could have problems with warranty...)..i wouldnt like to say for certain tho....

11. reingam

reingam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Yeah but surely the MA warranty is with MA themselves and not with RS - I've bought a lot of stuff of RS over the last year including a Hitachi 42PD7200 plasma and when I found it to be faulty RS came down and replaced straight away (I live about 60 miles away form the RS store) so I'm sure that if anything went wrong with the MA they'd replace it straight away??

Another quick question - amp settings for Mission M72's - large or small? I have an Infinity Alphasub running alongside them

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    the warranty is only with MA if you can prove you bought them (which isnt to say MA wont support them out of decency, but they wouldnt have to if you couldnt prove original ownership).....i would imagine the shop is supported, just surprises me given that the UK shops dont deal with MA....mebbe because they feel 7oaks customers are more likely to pay full whack....lol

as for the small or large question, for HC usually small is better, but i'd try both and see which you yourself prefer....