1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio Bronze B4 - an alternative to a 7.1 system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Paul Howles, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Paul Howles

Paul Howles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. I was about to buy the KEF 'eggs' as a 7.1 package , when I read that the Monitor Audio Bronze B4 system can do the same job as a 7.1 if you reverse the wiring in the rear speakers - so turning them into dipole speakers. Has anyone done this?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Sounds fishy to me. 5.1 means 5 speakers and 1 sub. Don't see how reversing speaker polarity turns 2 rears into 4? :confused:

3. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Reversing the wiring(on the back of the speaker itself!!) on the BFX Rear speaker's won't make a 5.1 into 7.1 setup. I believe that it just runs the tweeters on your rears speaker out of phase make them hard to locate. This is apparently very benefical in a 7.1 setup(3 Front, 2 Sides, 2 Rear Speakers), for use on your side speakers. Apparently it gives you the impression of more surround speakers and a more natural spread of sound.

I haven't got mine wired in this way as i'm only running a 5.1 system, others may know more than me than on this subject as this is just dug out from memory, from reading the manual :eek:

Giz.:D

4. Paul Howles

Paul Howles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're probably right about this set up not being the same as a dedicated 7.1 system. But I know I read it somewhere in a home cinema mag that it was a good alternative . I think I'll put the question in the receiver section. Thanks, Paul.